• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2021 at 8:31 PM, the blob said:

Is this too much in my draft next response to the person complaining because a package got there a week early?:

"Your outrage is perplexing. Are you looking for some sort of partial refund? I get it, my wife is an expert at manufacturing outrage over little stuff and getting refunds. The kids nowadays call it being a "Karen." Are you a Karen? It is absolutely disgusting, but effective." 

I'm sorry, but I know some really nice people named Karen.  I find it odd that   adults would pick a name, whether it was attached to one incident or not and use it to label inconsiderate people with that name. I'd hope that the adults would explain the harm of doing that to their kids. I know you have a son, but if you had a daughter named Karen?

There are so many other words that can be used.

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm sorry, but I know some really nice people named Karen.  I find it odd that   adults would pick a name, whether it was attached to one incident or not and use it to label inconsiderate people with that name. I'd hope that the adults would explain the harm of doing that to their kids. I know you have a son, but if you had a daughter named Karen?

I know, it is mean, particularly because they haven't come up with a good male version of the name, so it is also sexist. I didn't actually send the message. Telling someone what they sound like doesn't help resolve the situation ... something I have learned from 17 years of marriage. The payer is a 56 year old woman, but I have no idea who I am actually communicating with, It could be her angry son. Anyway, I'm almost 50, so when kids see me they probably think I'm a male Karen or a Ken or a Terry, whatever word they're using, particularly as I am a master of checking prices at the supermarket and every trip I find 3 or 4 errors at the register! (But I am cool about it.) But this sort of screaming about minutia ... and in this case a delay in the package getting shipped, but not actually received ... does seem to be the provence of the 45 and older crowd. Younger people, despite being used to Amazon Prime next day delivery and other instant gratification, seem to be more chill about this stuff. Perhaps because they're constantly oversleeping and are late for work and never hand in their assignments in school on time and are constantly asking for extensions? 

15 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Becky is another one. Ken and Chad seem to be some of the male names thrown around, but they don't seem to have as much stigma. (Sexism) They just yell "boomer" at guys over 40 (I am not a boomer, but my generation gets lost in all the news articles).

My wife (not named Karen) understands she sometimes turns Karen when needed. Her response is "but i get shyt done".. It is true, she frigging breaks the customer service folks, she has amazing powers. If she was a comic collector she would probably get a partial refund on 90% of her purchases. I can't even follow up to get the promised $5 partial refund on a book sold to me with a chunk out of a page when the seller volunteered to give me $, I didn't ask for it.

Edited by the blob

3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

I"ve had one of those before.  GIve them whatever they want and stop talking to them.  They are emotional time sinks

that's the problem. I asked them whether they want a refund on their shipping costs and they never responded to that. They just said I was "unacceptable" and shouldn't be selling on ebay and what an awesome seller they are. i guess they just want me to kill myself or something.

Edited by the blob

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

that's the problem. I asked them whether they want a refund on their shipping costs and they never responded to that. They just said I was "unacceptable" and shouldn't be selling on ebay and what an awesome seller they are. i guess they just want me to kill myself or something.

move on. You are go to get a negative or nothing.  I wouldn't think about it anymore.  

19 minutes ago, the blob said:

I know, it is mean, particularly because they haven't come up with a good male version of the name, so it is also sexist. I didn't actually send the message. Telling someone what they sound like doesn't help resolve the situation ... something I have learned from 17 years of marriage. The payer is a 56 year old woman, but I have no idea who I am actually communicating with, It could be her angry son. Anyway, I'm almost 50, so when kids see me they probably think I'm a male Karen or a Ken or a Terry, whatever word they're using, particularly as I am a master of checking prices at the supermarket and every trip I find 3 or 4 errors at the register! (But I am cool about it.) But this sort of screaming about minutia ... and in this case a delay in the package getting shipped, but not actually received ... does seem to be the provence of the 45 and older crowd. Younger people, despite being used to Amazon Prime next day delivery and other instant gratification, seem to be more chill about this stuff. Perhaps because they're constantly oversleeping and are late for work and never hand in their assignments in school on time and are constantly asking for extensions? 

There is an easy fix, I just do my best to mail stuff on time and if I don't, I WRITE a note, telling them.  There are nuts everywhere, but that seems to keep most of them at bay for me.

Plus, you are an attorney, you should be good at this stuff;) My dad was a very shy attorney, he was a very nice guy...so are you.

It's not about sexism, having names for each sex doesn't make it right.

Don't use "Karen" or Ken or whatever;) and we all need to stop this labeling stuff. It's just like labeling people by their astrological sign.. I'm a "boomer" I've got a ton of patience...or as some friends remind me, way TOO much, lol. Then again, I'm a Libra;) 

Enjoy the holiday. 

:foryou:

P.S. I would have just sent them the $20 after the 1st note. 

It's not worth the $20 in brain cells that I'd have had to sacrifice to keep going back and forth;) besides, 
"*I* was late, they were upset and it's $20.

Which is not what it used to be;)

These huge sellers with thousands of items are such a time suck, but they inevitably have a hidden treasure or three among mostly overpriced stuff, stuff they did not update, whatever. I need to stop getting sucked down these time trap rabbit holes.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I see them giving me a negative and zero stars even if I refund them. if I cancel the transaction and refund are they able to? i think they still can,

I think if they can, you can dispute it, but I'd call eBay and ask. That way you can relax a little.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I see them giving me a negative and zero stars even if I refund them. if I cancel the transaction and refund are they able to? i think they still can,

5 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I think if they can, you can dispute it, but I'd call eBay and ask. That way you can relax a little.

skypinkblu is correct.  They can remove it . Especially if you cancel, but if they are messaging you the mess it sounds like and the one specific you stated is that if you dont do ----- they will leave negative.. that is what ebay refers to as feedback extortion and they definitely will remove it. I have not had to have it done , but one of my friends did and I helped him walk through it. I have had to deal with Ebay CS several times. If they do leave a negative just pick up the phone and call ebay. Explain what happened and they will remove it.

36 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

skypinkblu is correct.  They can remove it . Especially if you cancel, but if they are messaging you the mess it sounds like and the one specific you stated is that if you dont do ----- they will leave negative.. that is what ebay refers to as feedback extortion and they definitely will remove it. I have not had to have it done , but one of my friends did and I helped him walk through it. I have had to deal with Ebay CS several times. If they do leave a negative just pick up the phone and call ebay. Explain what happened and they will remove it.

no, she/he never demanded a refund or anything, they just want to berate me

39 minutes ago, the blob said:

no, she/he never demanded a refund or anything, they just want to berate me

That is still unnecessary and unacceptable.  If they do leave less than 5 stars or neutral/negative feedback, you can call Ebay and have it removed.

I do not care for Ebay as much as I used to, but they do usually help with situations like this. I know my numbers are not as high as some on here, but was a top rated seller for years and have 2600+ ( 100% non-skewed) positive feedback there. I have bought and sold all over the world, and with issues like this they have been helpful at fixing issues . 

It sucks when you get some customers that are either just out for something free/discounted , or just want to create problems.  (One of the reasons I do not sell there as much anymore. ) However these can be resolved.  

I would also note that when you do have this resolved to add them to your blocked buyer list to try to avoid another incident.  

Good luck and keep us updated.  More than happy to help in any way I can as I know these situations can be very frustrating.  

Hard not to want to just tell them to punch themselves.  

4 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That is still unnecessary and unacceptable.  If they do leave less than 5 stars or neutral/negative feedback, you can call Ebay and have it removed.

I do not care for Ebay as much as I used to, but they do usually help with situations like this. I know my numbers are not as high as some on here, but was a top rated seller for years and have 2600+ ( 100% non-skewed) positive feedback there. I have bought and sold all over the world, and with issues like this they have been helpful at fixing issues . 

It sucks when you get some customers that are either just out for something free/discounted , or just want to create problems.  (One of the reasons I do not sell there as much anymore. ) However these can be resolved.  

I would also note that when you do have this resolved to add them to your blocked buyer list to try to avoid another incident.  

Good luck and keep us updated.  More than happy to help in any way I can as I know these situations can be very frustrating.  

Hard not to want to just tell them to punch themselves.  

I mailed it 2 days late (bad on me), but it got there a week early (likely because I paid for 1st class rather than media mail), so I suppose I can challenge late delivery stars. 

I suspect just to stick it to me she will demand a return to add to my costs, although now she has had the books a few days. Neither of the books is particularly flippable at the price she paid right now, though both have some upside, potentially.

Edited by the blob

Ebay is useless. My wife's account got shut down because of a late delivery (media mail) that the guy claimed he didn't receive. This was a package that had to travel 10 miles and took 3 weeks to get there. About two days after he made the claim, delivery confirmation showed it was delivered. He didn't even leave a negative feedback. His e-mails to me indicated he received the package. He was mad at the delivery time and said he'd pay me what he thought it was worth (it was a grab bag). Ebay refused to acknowledge the delivery confirmation, ignored the e-mails I forwarded, and said i needed signature delivery for a $750 item. I did not agree to a refund and told them he had the package. They didn't care and forced a $750 refund and cancelled her ability to sell. Needless to say the guy never paid anything for the lot. And a few months later had the ballz to PM me and tell me how he had gotten a bunch of 9.2-9.6 cgc grades off some of the books in the lot (I did not grade any higher than a 9.2 [i did a grab bag, but i listed the books and grades with the books). This was a 15 year old account with about 2000 perfect feedback.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

I mailed it 2 days late (bad on me), but it got there a week early (likely because I paid for 1st class rather than media mail).

I suspect just to stick it to me she will demand a return to add to my costs, although now she has had the books a few days. Neither of the books is particularly flippable at the price she paid right now, though both have some upside, potentially.

Definitely understand the issue and do sympathize. Sometimes it is the cost of doing business.  We all pay for our education in sales. Sometimes due to jackwagon people.

If they do try to force a return, I would just chalk it up to experience.  Try to make sure they insure it on the way back( if you do not carry your own insurance) just incase it is damaged. Also make sure then they are good when they arrive back as if they damaged them, you can get Ebay to reverse the decision to allow return. 

More than once I have just had to eat a loss on both payment and item to just quit dealing with a bad situation.  That said I also try to make sure it is not to the benefit of these mefirstgeneration scammers. 

First thing I usually do when faced with what appears to be the situation you currently find yourself is ask them . What it is exactly they would like? What would it take to fix this issue? Then I take time to evaluate their request and weigh it vs what I would feel would be a fair compromise.  I then take those two scenarios and compare them to the time it would take me to negotiate this compromise and decide weather it is even with the time and energy. 

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

Ebay is useless. My wife's account got shut down because of a late delivery (media mail) that the guy claimed he didn't receive. This was a package that had to travel 10 miles and took 3 weeks to get there. About two days after he made the claim, delivery confirmation showed it was delivered. He didn't even leave a negative feedback. His e-mails to me indicated he received the package. He was mad at the delivery time and said he'd pay me what he thought it was worth (it was a grab bag). Ebay refused to acknowledge the delivery confirmation, ignored the e-mails I forwarded, and said i needed signature delivery for a $750 item. I did not agree to a refund and told them he had the package. They didn't care and forced a $750 refund and cancelled her ability to sell. Needless to say the guy never paid anything for the lot. And a few months later had the ballz to PM me and tell me how he had gotten a bunch of 9.2-9.6 cgc grades off some of the books in the lot (I did not grade any higher than a 9.2 [i did a grab bag, but i listed the books and grades with the books). This was a 15 year old account with about 2000 perfect feedback.

Wow.. That is just a horrible issue. Can not say I have had that kind of issue. I do usually require signature on any package over $200 as that is what my private insurance (CIS) requires.  That still doesn't help with this exact situation.  With him messaging you about the books stating that he had them graded suggest he messaged you through their system and shows he obviously received those books. I would try calling Ebay back and see if they can reverse the refund as you have proof of delivery. ( both tracking and his messages) I would not waste time on the email or automated systems as they are a joke. 

6 hours ago, the blob said:

I think “Kevin” is used for the male version.

2 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Definitely understand the issue and do sympathize. Sometimes it is the cost of doing business.  We all pay for our education in sales. Sometimes due to jackwagon people.

If they do try to force a return, I would just chalk it up to experience.  Try to make sure they insure it on the way back( if you do not carry your own insurance) just incase it is damaged. Also make sure then they are good when they arrive back as if they damaged them, you can get Ebay to reverse the decision to allow return. 

More than once I have just had to eat a loss on both payment and item to just quit dealing with a bad situation.  That said I also try to make sure it is not to the benefit of these mefirstgeneration scammers. 

First thing I usually do when faced with what appears to be the situation you currently find yourself is ask them . What it is exactly they would like? What would it take to fix this issue? Then I take time to evaluate their request and weigh it vs what I would feel would be a fair compromise.  I then take those two scenarios and compare them to the time it would take me to negotiate this compromise and decide weather it is even with the time and energy. 

Wow.. That is just a horrible issue. Can not say I have had that kind of issue. I do usually require signature on any package over $200 as that is what my private insurance (CIS) requires.  That still doesn't help with this exact situation.  With him messaging you about the books stating that he had them graded suggest he messaged you through their system and shows he obviously received those books. I would try calling Ebay back and see if they can reverse the refund as you have proof of delivery. ( both tracking and his messages) I would not waste time on the email or automated systems as they are a joke. 

I forwarded e-mails that made it clear he received the package and they did not care because he would not confirm with them he had received it. I messed up not getting the sig confirmation. I did not read the fine print.

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

I forwarded e-mails that made it clear he received the package and they did not care because he would not confirm with them he had received it. I messed up not getting the sig confirmation. I did not read the fine print.

That really sucks. Sorry to hear that..

More than once I have asked my local mail carrier what their policy is on sending lit bags of sh** are . Then I suggested since I could not send it on fire , that maybe I could mail it with instructions to light it at time of delivery..