• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not Professional Graders

44 posts in this topic

I've bought some pretty good high grade comics that I have been very satisfied with from people who admit they are not 'professional graders'.

The pics in that listing are better than most listings and more than enough to decide for yourself what you think the ballpark grades are. It included back cover pics as well. If you are still unsure, send a question and make a decision based on your communication.

High quality pics and return policy are a must for a listing. If you can provide an avg grade and mention the page quality all the better.

I am much more unforgiving with people who run comic book shops as their profession, where you pay high dollars for a book, and their stated grade and/or packaging is sub-par.

3. I disclaim thusly (note the use of "expert" rather than "professional"):

NOTE: Comics grading is very subjective. I don't claim to be an expert grader; please trust your eyes and the details of the scan(s). What you see is what you will get. I use The Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide as a grading standard. It may differ from GCG or other grading services. Please email me and I will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about the condition of the book.

not sure if you noticed but you used the acronym GCG instead of CGC

I would add that while I understand that you like using just the letter condition descriptors (FN/NM- etc) -- I include both as an aid to the buyer who be familiar with one or the other (i.e. VG+ (4.5) )

I've bought some pretty good high grade comics that I have been very satisfied with from people who admit they are not 'professional graders'.

The pics in that listing are better than most listings and more than enough to decide for yourself what you think the ballpark grades are. It included back cover pics as well. If you are still unsure, send a question and make a decision based on your communication.

High quality pics and return policy are a must for a listing. If you can provide an avg grade and mention the page quality all the better.

I am much more unforgiving with people who run comic book shops as their profession, where you pay high dollars for a book, and their stated grade and/or packaging is sub-par.

I have bought some nice books from them as well-- and your points are spot on.

I think the point some of us are making is that the phrase "not a professional grader" is useless. I wonder if somewhere long ago there was a guy who put together an eBay offer with that phrase in it and people copied that as a standard way to say grading is subjective. I mean-- even if you are both adhering to the OSPG grading methods, you can still come up with a different interpretation of a book.

Ultimately, good scans and pictures are crucial. Additional condition disclosures about elements that are not easy to see in pictures are also helpful (smell, texture, brittleness, small tears, indentations, etc).

3. I disclaim thusly (note the use of "expert" rather than "professional"):

NOTE: Comics grading is very subjective. I don't claim to be an expert grader; please trust your eyes and the details of the scan(s). What you see is what you will get. I use The Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide as a grading standard. It may differ from GCG or other grading services. Please email me and I will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about the condition of the book.

not sure if you noticed but you used the acronym GCG instead of CGC

I would add that while I understand that you like using just the letter condition descriptors (FN/NM- etc) -- I include both as an aid to the buyer who be familiar with one or the other (i.e. VG+ (4.5) )

GAAAH! Good catch! Thank you very much.

Now I have to go fix 98 listings... :tonofbricks: