• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not Professional Graders

44 posts in this topic

"Professional grader" generally just means someone pays you for your opinion about the condition of books.

You don't need to work for a grading company to be a professional grader.

So technically then, if they buy your book that you spent time grading.... they paid you for your time and opinion on the book and so you ARE a "professional grader"! :cool:

Technically, yes, if their decision to buy is based, in whole or in part, on your grading opinion.

Problem is...is there any other way to cover yourself if you are selling (namely on eBay)?

I don't hear of it too much here on the boards marketplace...but we pretty much all understand that we are not professional graders...plus, for the most part, we are all a little better at grading that a random person selling comics on eBay.

On eBay, it's all over place. How do you protect yourself and your honest opinion of the grade when someone else may disagree?

You CAN'T protect yourself if the buyer disagrees with your grade once they get it in-hand.

If the seller grades it as "NM-" and the buyer thinks it's "VF+", it doesn't matter if you say "I'm not a professional grader", they can still return it as item not as described.

When putting a grade, I usually put something like "grading is always subjective, using Overstreet Grading Guide I grade this as...." and state the defects. At least it calls attention to the fact that grading IS subjective and hopefully alerts the buyer to defects they may not see in the pictures.

Bottomline, when it comes to condition and grading, on Ebay the buyer is always right.

This is my approach. I appreciate a seller who takes the time to properly evaluate a raw book and point out any condition issues that don't show in the scans. I give it a grade and tell them why I came to that conclusion. I do include a little note to remind them that I understand grading is subjective and ask them to please review the photos/ask questions/request additional pictures if needed.

I too think the "not a professional grader" line is a waste of time for everyone.

The way I see it- the more informed the buyer is, the less likely they are to be unhappy with the purchase. I also tell them in my ads that if they are unhappy with the purchase for any reasons, I am happy to take returns. (no-- no restocking fee lol )

Kermit's Pad overgrades consistently by as much as 3 full grades and he has great feedback. All of his listings say 'strict grading'. I think most buyers ignore grades and just look at the pics.

I am currently bidding on something that is from a seller that makes the claim of not being a professional dealer. I believe that it is simply put into the listing in order to more fully present the item in the event of someone that is overly nitpicking and to protect the seller.

You said it would be a 9.6 and CGC graded it a 9.4.

You said it would be a 5.0 and it came back a 4.5.

People do indeed complain and blame the seller for that. CGC does not have complete consistency at times as I resubmitted a book last year thinking it would get a better page designation than a 4.5 Light tan to Off White. It came back 3,5 Light Tan to Off White.

:shrug:

Oh and BTW... the auction that I am bidding on. I asked several questions such as page count, staple pulls, centerfold attachment and things like that and I was met with a quick and courteous response with accurate descriptions.

You can dispute their grade but if the BIN is $200 you can't later say it looks like a $150 to me.

I always preface my sales with the information that I'm not an expert grader. I think my comics are priced accordingly based on that, but just a warning to someone expecting to grab a 9.8 on the cheap, it might not happen

I always try to undergrade. The only time I get a pissed off buyer is if I miss something major like a staple pull or clipped coupon. None of this ever happens when you sell mostly CGC tho... (thumbs u

Although, I wonder if someone has the SPOONs to list a CGC 9.2 and add "not a professional grader, but this is a 9.8!"

I am recently using this on my listings,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111944396936?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

*I am a Pro Grader*

I dont need to work at CGC or CBCS to be a Pro grader ; every time that i grade a book and you buy it, i am a professional.

I am a collector too and i hate the sellers who overgrade or use the word "NM" just to sell me a comic book .

My policy is to use the Overstreet system and grade the books for you as i would like the other sellers to properly grade the books for me.

Oh, how I hate that phrase. To me, it's a cop out.

But I'm looking through various listings today and, of course, I see it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281973838942

The funny thing is, however, that it's a comic book store that's selling the item. So, aren't they actually professional graders? I mean, they own a store. They sell comics. That's the definition of professional, right?

Seems legit.

I guess most of my raw books are HIGH grade. lol

If you provide a reasonable effort towards identifying the grade, you will help people looking for that grade to find your book. If someone is looking for UHG copies, they will not waste any time with your book that includes 4.5 in the title. But if they are trying to find a decent copy at a decent price, they will appreciate that you have given them enough to locate your item and perhaps evaluate the pictures and your description.

That is the point of providing a grade-- not as a guarantee (unless CGC graded) - but as a ballpark estimate of condition.

If a buyer reads any more into it than that, they are not being reasonable.

I always put 'This book looks like a 5.0 to me. I could be wrong. It could be a 9.8 or a 1.5. Don't hold me to anything. If you don't like it buy from someone else.'

Kermit's Pad overgrades consistently by as much as 3 full grades and he has great feedback. All of his listings say 'strict grading'. I think most buyers ignore grades and just look at the pics.
I definitely ignore their auctions - just terrible grading :facepalm:

One time they had a ASM with a crease along the entire book. Not a sub crease either. It was 'strict graded' as a NM...

"Professional grader" generally just means someone pays you for your opinion about the condition of books.

I don't think there is such thing as a "professional grader". Grading is too subjective. Although, claiming that a person is not a professional grader is a cop out.

Getting paid is one thing but a "professional" also needs to demonstrate that he/she is qualified to do the work. Not sure if there is an Association of Comic Book Graders out there that are set up to ensure the integrity of the comic book grading profession.

I don't think there is such thing as a "professional grader". Grading is too subjective. Although, claiming that a person is not a professional grader is a cop out.

Getting paid is one thing but a "professional" also needs to demonstrate that he/she is qualified to do the work. Not sure if there is an Association of Comic Book Graders out there that are set up to ensure the integrity of the comic book grading profession.

Anyone who puts "I'm not a professional grader" in their listings only makes themselves look like incompetent hacks, it is not only a "cop out".

If you want to sell raw books for less money, there is your business model.

All that a seller has to do is to post FC/BC scans and notate any flaws that the scans do not reveal.Assign a grade....and offer a return policy for a full refund of the purchase price, if the buyer is unhappy, for any reason.

That will help inspire confidence in prospective buyers.It makes absolutely no business sense to not accept returns and/or state "I am not a professional grader".

Sheeeeeeeit, I *prefer* buying from "non-comic dealers" off of eBay who don't offer returns and say they aren't professional graders etc etc etc......because I know that they suck at marketing, so I will be able to buy the book and make money when I sell it raw or have it graded.

I value a book by the pics/scans supplied, I give no credence whatsoever to the seller's word on his assigned grade , or lack thereof.

Problem is...is there any other way to cover yourself if you are selling (namely on eBay)?

I don't hear of it too much here on the boards marketplace...but we pretty much all understand that we are not professional graders...plus, for the most part, we are all a little better at grading that a random person selling comics on eBay.

On eBay, it's all over place. How do you protect yourself and your honest opinion of the grade when someone else may disagree?

You CAN'T protect yourself if the buyer disagrees with your grade once they get it in-hand.

If the seller grades it as "NM-" and the buyer thinks it's "VF+", it doesn't matter if you say "I'm not a professional grader", they can still return it as item not as described.

When putting a grade, I usually put something like "grading is always subjective, using Overstreet Grading Guide I grade this as...." and state the defects. At least it calls attention to the fact that grading IS subjective and hopefully alerts the buyer to defects they may not see in the pictures.

Bottomline, when it comes to condition and grading, on Ebay the buyer is always right.

This is my approach. I appreciate a seller who takes the time to properly evaluate a raw book and point out any condition issues that don't show in the scans. I give it a grade and tell them why I came to that conclusion. I do include a little note to remind them that I understand grading is subjective and ask them to please review the photos/ask questions/request additional pictures if needed.

I too think the "not a professional grader" line is a waste of time for everyone.

The way I see it- the more informed the buyer is, the less likely they are to be unhappy with the purchase. I also tell them in my ads that if they are unhappy with the purchase for any reasons, I am happy to take returns. (no-- no restocking fee lol )

Ditto to all of the above, and:

1. I ONLY grade comics I sell with letters, not numbers (e.g., NM-, FN/VF) and not with a CGC-style numeric scale.

2. I try my best to undergrade slightly.

3. I disclaim thusly (note the use of "expert" rather than "professional"):

NOTE: Comics grading is very subjective. I don't claim to be an expert grader; please trust your eyes and the details of the scan(s). What you see is what you will get. I use The Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide as a grading standard. It may differ from GCG or other grading services. Please email me and I will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about the condition of the book.

4. I've only had two buyers complain about my grading in a couple hundred sales so far. In both cases, I messaged them back asking what flaws they see that weren't described in my condition descriptions or obvious from the scan. In both cases, they went away without asking for a return. (And I gladly eat returns for stuff damaged in shipping.)

BUT, I'm not a store. I'm just a guy selling off his collection. If I were in the business of wholesale buying/retail selling, I don't think I'd be able to get away with the "not an expert claim." Fortunately, thanks to your postings in the "Spare a Grade?" forum, I'm learning more each week.

Whenever I have sold comics I previously posted them in the spare a grade thread (scan and pics) and then link that in the auction.

I get to share my belief on the grade and what others did as well, giving the buyer more information when buying