• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Graded art?

69 posts in this topic

These are all reasons why I think authentication would be truly valuable, because I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an artist/publisher trimmed piece done 40 years ago or art trimmed by the seller yesterday.

This makes no sense to me. Sellers aren't generally in the habit of trimming art, but if they did, who cares? Granted, we all want things in as close the their original state as possible, but if a nice page of art is trimmed (outside the image area of course) or not doesn't make a lick of difference to most people. It's a one-of-a-kind thing. There's only one (hopefully) of that page out there, so if it's got a tear or a stain or if it's trimmed, so be it. I'd take a trimmed page any day over one inked by Vince Colletta. (tsk)

With comic art, it's also difficult to truly grade, but rather just cite certain characteristics. Would the use of white out penalize a piece? Trimmed/Clipped corners or edges which is done by the artist as a part of the production process? Penciler's notes in the margins for the inkers?

These are all reasons why I think authentication would be truly valuable, because I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an artist/publisher trimmed piece done 40 years ago or art trimmed by the seller yesterday.

The boardies have brought up some great points and convinced me that grading would not be necessary. So I think from here on out let's focus on authenticating... :foryou:

It would be great if you could pass an art piece through multiple authenticators, like CGC, PSA/DNA, and IFAR - just to get a consensus that the art has not been tampered with, is original and done by who actually did it. I've passed on so many sketches and sequential art where the auction house says "artist unknown, signed by blah"

It would be encased in something lightweight yet protective and have stickers similar to CGC's that have forging-discouraging holograms.

What do you do when the artists are no longer living? How does one decide who did what?

An authenticator? They do this all day long in the sports collectibles industry. I don't see how it's any different.

With comic art, it's also difficult to truly grade, but rather just cite certain characteristics. Would the use of white out penalize a piece? Trimmed/Clipped corners or edges which is done by the artist as a part of the production process? Penciler's notes in the margins for the inkers?

The boardies have brought up some great points and convinced me that grading would not be necessary. So I think from here on out let's focus on authenticating... :foryou:

It would be great if you could pass an art piece through multiple authenticators, like CGC, PSA/DNA, and IFAR - just to get a consensus that the art has not been tampered with, is original and done by who actually did it. I've passed on so many sketches and sequential art where the auction house says "artist unknown, signed by blah"

It would be encased in something lightweight yet protective and have stickers similar to CGC's that have forging-discouraging holograms.

What do you do when the artists are no longer living? How does one decide who did what?

An authenticator? They do this all day long in the sports collectibles industry. I don't see how it's any different.

Aw man that hobby is so corrupted...especially PSA/DNA (run some Googles...PLEASE), fergit it. This is not the confidence you want! If the marketing folks think there's a market...but really you new/gunshy folks would be so much better off investing some time (at least six months, better several years) before spending more than play money at this thing. And btw - getting burned...that's actually how you learn. Do it on the cheap stuff, and lose little while gaining a lot. Pay somebody else to all the work for you and you just lose upon lose. Sorry but that's the truth.

Aw man that hobby is so corrupted...especially PSA/DNA (run some Googles...PLEASE), fergit it. This is not the confidence you want! If the marketing folks think there's a market...but really you new/gunshy folks would be so much better off investing some time (at least six months, better several years) before spending more than play money at this thing. And btw - getting burned...that's actually how you learn. Do it on the cheap stuff, and lose little while gaining a lot. Pay somebody else to all the work for you and you just lose upon lose. Sorry but that's the truth.

Corrupt maybe, but that's not an issue with the concept of authentication, it's an issue with that authentication company and what standards they set for themselves. The same argument is made when it comes to grading or signature witnessing with CGC vs PGX vs CBCS and the varying grading standards/practices/graders. Granted, it can be corrupted as well, but not as easily as what preceded it.

I think for sequential art, CGC could easily translate its reputation for signature/sketch witnessing and grading to art. Like I also pointed out earlier, there are a lot of art authenticators out there that can distinguish artist's brush strokes. So far I haven't seen anyone question CGC; maybe their current capability to grade art, but not their reputation.

So far I haven't seen anyone question CGC; maybe their current capability to grade art, but not their reputation.

P-R-E-S-S-I-N-G lol

Interesting to note that those sports cards authenticators consider pressing as restoration...but that's a conversation for another thread hm