• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rotten Tomatoes critics are full of it! Batman v Superman was good! spoilers!

141 posts in this topic

We shall see this weekend if the critics bias will have any affect on this week`s box office.

I am betting Batman v. Superman continues to break records!

so if it does poorly you're going to blame the critics?

Only if it doesn`t do it`s expected one billion box office.

If it doesn`t do it`s one billion, than the critic`s bias had an affect.

isn't this type of thing nearly impossible to know? And yet you're presenting these theories as fact. I'm not saying you're alone, there's a lot of very irresponsible reporting/blogging out there.

Right now it sounds like you think this movie is somehow 'overcoming' the critical reviews (and associated liberal PC Police Marvel conspiracy), and maybe that's true. But isn't it reasonably possible that with significantly better reviews that the movie would be doing significantly better? That the reviews ARE (or will) damage current and future box office receipts? but its nearly impossible to know by how much.

Note again, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that when you sound so sure, it actually hurts your arguments to those who are doing more critical thinking.

Then again, maybe I've got it wrong and you have a PHD in marketing statistics at minimum from a non-directional state school (shots fired!), and you've run the forecasting models and done polls of people who HAVEN'T SEEN the movies or polls of people who otherwise would have seen it twice but haven't to find out why.

No one is saying you or anyone else should or shouldn't enjoy the movie and share your OPINIONS. I mostly enjoyed it and would generally recommend it. But while you think you're cheerleading and being positive about something you enjoyed, you're actually drawing conclusions where none can be reasonably drawn, and it's hurting your persuasiveness and the persuasiveness of others who also share your enthusiasm for the movie.

For example: Charles barkley spent last year saying the Warriors couldn't win the NBA championships because they were just jump shooters and steph curry was too skinny. Obviously they won. How much impact if any did that Barkley Criticism affect the Warriors? Did it make them play harder some games, did it get in their head for others? How could you possibly quantify it? If they didn't win it all, would it have been because they got rattled by critics? How would you possibly know? And there's only 12-15 guys on an NBA team.

And its not any easier to assess the impact for movies. Did some girlfriends/wives stay away, did some passionate fans see it extra times to try to stick it to critics? How many tickets were pre-bought last weekend? How many people would have watched it regardless of reviews because they felt it was an EVENT?

The difference is Steph Curry had an opportunity to control his team`s destiny,while the critics bad reviews could control Batman v.Superman box office destiny in droves because of bad word of mouth.

The FF reboot was a perfect example of this. It actually did good it`s first weekend.It`s when the bad critical reviews started to kick in that helped hasten it`s demise at the box office.

The Rotten Tomatoes reviews have a lot of weight. Batman v. Superman had a lot of high pre-sales, now we will see if the critics had any affect.

I guess we will know more by Monday.

Far more likely that the viewers' word of mouth will have more to do with people seeing it than the critics at this point. Everyone now knows the RT score if they care about such things...but lots of people will still see it if a trusted friend says it's good -- or might skip it if a friend tells them he didn't like it.

My guess it will drop the usual 50-60% or so, but not because of critical reviews as they're all over and done with. It will be people talking to people.

Dan

We shall see this weekend if the critics bias will have any affect on this week`s box office.

isn't this type of thing nearly impossible to know? And yet you're presenting these theories as fact. I'm not saying you're alone, there's a lot of very irresponsible reporting/blogging out there.

Right now it sounds like you think this movie is somehow 'overcoming' the critical reviews (and associated liberal PC Police Marvel conspiracy), and maybe that's true. But isn't it reasonably possible that with significantly better reviews that the movie would be doing significantly better? That the reviews ARE (or will) damage current and future box office receipts? but its nearly impossible to know by how much.

Note again, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that when you sound so sure, it actually hurts your arguments to those who are doing more critical thinking.

Then again, maybe I've got it wrong and you have a PHD in marketing statistics at minimum from a non-directional state school (shots fired!), and you've run the forecasting models and done polls of people who HAVEN'T SEEN the movies or polls of people who otherwise would have seen it twice but haven't to find out why.

No one is saying you or anyone else should or shouldn't enjoy the movie and share your OPINIONS. I mostly enjoyed it and would generally recommend it. But while you think you're cheerleading and being positive about something you enjoyed, you're actually drawing conclusions where none can be reasonably drawn, and it's hurting your persuasiveness and the persuasiveness of others who also share your enthusiasm for the movie.

For example: Charles barkley spent last year saying the Warriors couldn't win the NBA championships because they were just jump shooters and steph curry was too skinny. Obviously they won. How much impact if any did that Barkley Criticism affect the Warriors? Did it make them play harder some games, did it get in their head for others? How could you possibly quantify it? If they didn't win it all, would it have been because they got rattled by critics? How would you possibly know? And there's only 12-15 guys on an NBA team.

And its not any easier to assess the impact for movies. Did some girlfriends/wives stay away, did some passionate fans see it extra times to try to stick it to critics? How many tickets were pre-bought last weekend? How many people would have watched it regardless of reviews because they felt it was an EVENT?

The difference is Steph Curry had an opportunity to control his team`s destiny,while the critics bad reviews could control Batman v.Superman box office destiny in droves because of bad word of mouth.

The FF reboot was a perfect example of this. It actually did good it`s first weekend.It`s when the bad critical reviews started to kick in that helped hasten it`s demise at the box office.

The Rotten Tomatoes reviews have a lot of weight. Batman v. Superman had a lot of high pre-sales, now we will see if the critics had any affect.

seriously? whose is your source for hallucinogens? the FF reboot did $25MM it's opening weekend. the estimates were for closer to $60-70MM.

i think people are focusing too much on what the score drop will be

what's the screen drop, less screens means less viewing times, means less tickets

that's a huge factor. Any big new movies opening this week?

. Any big new movies opening this week?

No. There's pretty much nothing of note coming out either this week or next week as far as I can see. Well, Melissa McCarthy's comedy The Boss comes out April 8, but that's more counter-programming and shouldn't really affect BvS.

I think BvS was terrible, and outside of this forum, everyone I know who has seen it also thought it was bad. But it looks like other studios were scared enough by it to clear space for it, and that could be a big help for it. Of course, the opposite could be true - some little film could get a huge boost because there are no other alternatives to BvS. But I think BvS will get a boost from having so little competition until the 15th.

seriously? whose is your source for hallucinogens? the FF reboot did $25MM it's opening weekend. the estimates were for closer to $60-70MM.

That`s still decent compared to the second week were the critical Rotten Tomatoes reviews word of month finally took effect killing the FF box office.

First week FF was decent,but by the time the second week arrived the FF Rotten Tomatoes reviews had sunk it.

That`s still decent compared to the second week were the critical Rotten Tomatoes reviews word of month finally took effect killing the FF box office.

First week FF was decent,but by the time the second week arrived the FF Rotten Tomatoes reviews had sunk it.

No one in Hollywood thought $25m opening weekend for FF was "decent"

last weekends pre-sales will have an effect on the drop this weekend.

Superman v Batman was THE MOST presold movie in history. WB really pushed this.

I am curious now to see if Snyder is allowed to continue solo with the Justice League movies now. If I were in charge, there would be some added oversight on him for those films.

It will also be interesting to see which execs pay the price if it does not hit $1B. That being said, the movie will still make good $$$ for the studio, especially since they were likely starting with zero to no costs after merchandising/advertising in the film.

i think people are focusing too much on what the score drop will be

what's the screen drop, less screens means less viewing times, means less tickets

that's a huge factor. Any big new movies opening this week?

I think I read the number of screens actually rose slightly for the second weekend. It was 4242 screens opening Friday and 4256 this past Friday. It went from $19226 per screen earnings to $3607. If you take Thursday number into account (which are counted on Friday earning for new releases) there was an 81% drop, and 71.5% with Thursday removed. Projections for the weekend are 50 Mil. Blame whoever you wish, but that is a massive drop in anyone's book.

I am curious now to see if Snyder is allowed to continue solo with the Justice League movies now. If I were in charge, there would be some added oversight on him for those films.

It will also be interesting to see which execs pay the price if it does not hit $1B. That being said, the movie will still make good $$$ for the studio, especially since they were likely starting with zero to no costs after merchandising/advertising in the film.

Agree that someone is probably questioning how to proceed, unless they are supremely confident in the direction of this series or on target to make a bunch of money off of it. There's too much riding on this.

Agree that someone is probably questioning how to proceed, unless they are supremely confident in the direction of this series or on target to make a bunch of money off of it. There's too much riding on this.

From a monetary standpoint, I think 1 billion was and remains WB's initial benchmark for this film. Last weekend the movie looked certain to get there, now that number is in serious question. For the movie to be 100% successful, it needed to be near AoU numbers. That would have allowed WB to take some bragging rights away from Marvel, and with Batman and Superman in one movie that is what they were shooting for. Now DC has put all of their big guns in one film and it fell short, where do they go from here? Even Marvel's solo films tend to generate much less box office than the big team ups.

I think the re-shoots now happening for Suicide Squad are evidence that the suits at WB are re-evaluating were to go with the DCCU.

I really miss the 80's decade of movies when we went to watch those summer blockbusters and waited in a line wrapped around the theater and no one (at least no one I knew) talked about or cared about what the film would take in on the overseas market or what the final worldwide gross would be. And critics? Forget about it. We were going and having fun and talking about it while we rode our bikes home. I think we've lost something on this road.

I do as well. I also miss playing nintendo and going to my vhs store and renting the latest horror flick.

I also miss going to my local mom and pop store and actually buying comic books off a rack.

Somebody should start a remember when pre-2001 thread?

hm

Remember when thread before 2001!

Watched the Theatrical Version last night (by somewhat accident.)

I didn't like it, despite Affleck, Gadot, Fishbourne, Lane, Adams acting solidly.

Cavill looked too annoyed and Jesse Eisenberg was too annoying.

The whole affair felt just too choppy as well, not sure how much of the Ultimate Edition can do to fix this as the tone felt too cold and cynical.

The fight scenes felt too videogame fake for any emotional investment as well.

Not in the mood to watch the longer version now, but maybe sometime down the road.

If Bats and Wonder Woman weren't so deserving of their own movies this movie would be a total loss, as it's an incoherent mess of DC products rammed down our throat.

Two out of four stars.