• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger the City the less comics sale???

33 posts in this topic

You are comparing apples and oranges. Metro doesn't sell new comics or the latest bust. DCBS doesn't sell million dollar books. No one will overtake Metro by designing a sleeker website.

Metro also does not even allow people to walk in off the street (well unless your net worth is north of a million), it's appointment only.

You still don't know the secret knock, do you?

Every time I buy a 5 figure book from them, Vincent says "I'm running a bit late, next time I see you I'll teach you it" I'm thinking if he does that 3 or 4 more times he MAY just be messing with me.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Metro doesn't sell new comics or the latest bust. DCBS doesn't sell million dollar books. No one will overtake Metro by designing a sleeker website.
I didn't know that. I thought it was a regular comic shop. If that's the case then they certainly don't need a store.

I believe it's more of a gallery than a retail shop. I've not been to the new location.

Metro also does not even allow people to walk in off the street (well unless your net worth is north of a million), it's appointment only.

You still don't know the secret knock, do you?

Every time I buy a 5 figure book from them, Vincent says "I'm running a bit late, next time I see you I'll teach you it" I'm thinking if he does that 3 or 4 more times he MAY just be messing with me.

Vincent talks to you? You are close to getting into the inner circle. I deal with Rob or one of the other underlings.

A small office would work, much cheaper than a retail outlet. 4th floor of some complex somewhere. People looking to get top dollar for a five figure comic, or looking to buy such comics, would be willing to travel to the office next door to the tax lady.

Midtown is in time square downtown and by gcs. Always wonder how much they need to do to keep the lights on.

Their one shop is on the second floor, which usually rents for a fraction of the ground floor. I'm not sure where the other shop is, but they have to have incredibly large nuts to crack each month.

In the early to mid 1990s, Jim Hanley's Universe was going thru bankruptcy reorganization and some of his numbers became public. The figures were staggering and that was over twenty years ago.

Midtown is in time square downtown and by gcs. Always wonder how much they need to do to keep the lights on.

Their one shop is on the second floor, which usually rents for a fraction of the ground floor. I'm not sure where the other shop is, but they have to have incredibly large nuts to crack each month.

In the early to mid 1990s, Jim Hanley's Universe was going thru bankruptcy reorganization and some of his numbers became public. The figures were staggering and that was over twenty years ago.

Second floor in Times Square (Ridiculously high rent,even on second floor, but as you said, much less than ground) Wall Street, also above ground (Second Floor) across the street from Grand Central Station (Second floor) and inside FAO Schwartz which doesn't exist anymore.

New York has it's own rules, you can't compare it to any other city so I can't speak for what happens there.

When I lived in Jacksonville, there were no shops in the city because no one lived there, everyone commuted to the city for work and then left. In Miami, no one seems to live there full time, just seasonally. All of the comic shops are in places surrounding the city where people actually live.

The clientele are different in the city too. In Miami Beach they are much more affluent so there are walk-in art studios where artists will make custom art for private and corporate patrons. The artists are fun to talk to but I can't afford anything.

Some strip-mall owners would rather let the entire place sit empty than drop their rates around here.
I've heard that shopping malls charge the anchor stores a ton of money and allow the smaller stores surprisingly cheap rent, which is why you have stores with nothing but used NES games, or eyebrow waxers, or whatever. But that strip malls do the opposite, and a Walgreens or KFC would get dirt cheap rent while the smaller stores are charged the high prices.

There's a mall in Myrtle Beach, SC, that has a place called "Player's Choice." It has a lot of old arcade games, NES, PS1, everything dealing with video games. But they have a TON of back-issue and current comics, posters, etc. It's a really cool place that I make sure to stop by every time I'm near.

Some strip-mall owners would rather let the entire place sit empty than drop their rates around here.
I've heard that shopping malls charge the anchor stores a ton of money and allow the smaller stores surprisingly cheap rent, which is why you have stores with nothing but used NES games, or eyebrow waxers, or whatever. But that strip malls do the opposite, and a Walgreens or KFC would get dirt cheap rent while the smaller stores are charged the high prices.

There's a mall in Myrtle Beach, SC, that has a place called "Player's Choice." It has a lot of old arcade games, NES, PS1, everything dealing with video games. But they have a TON of back-issue and current comics, posters, etc. It's a really cool place that I make sure to stop by every time I'm near.

Sounds legit. I love finding gems like that :whee: