• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book heist!!!!

85 posts in this topic

A while back some guy was trying to sell his Ford Ranger for $250,000

Then it mysteriously disappeared :/

Then he tried to make a $250,000 claim against it, and the insurance company offered him a couple thousand dollars. So he went on and on about how custom it was (Said he spent $16,000 on the wheels, which were clearly $500 wheels in the picture) and they upped it to like ten grand. So he called the news so the entire world could ridicule him . I mean, the thing did have kandy paint and a lot of chrome, he probably had 25 grand wrapped up in it, but it was a Ford Ranger. He would have been incredibly lucky to get ten back from that.

http://www.pe.com/articles/truck-645719-farmers-evil.html#ssStory502783

They had it insured with the carrier for $145'000

They made a claim for the amount they had it insured for.

Any updates on that story?

Absolute conjecture. The fire started in the comic shop and burned down the couple other businesses.

I tried to find the thread but my search skills suck. I'm pretty sure my post was an attempt at humor, but I don't remember what was said.

I only posted the PM to show the extent insurance companies go thru after a fire like this. I believe in the case of the comic shop, he didn't have coverage for his stock, only for the shop.

Absolute conjecture. The fire started in the comic shop and burned down the couple other businesses.

I tried to find the thread but my search skills suck. I'm pretty sure my post was an attempt at humor, but I don't remember what was said.

I only posted the PM to show the extent insurance companies go thru after a fire like this. I believe in the case of the comic shop, he didn't have coverage for his stock, only for the shop.

I remember the thread because it was the first time I had heard the term-- had to look it up. It was definitely meant to be humorous.

Tragic. I hope the shop has insurance.

Based on the numbers the shop owner is throwing around, I am SURE he had insurance.

I'm thinking along the same lines.

I agree. Something doesn't add up.

JLA 1-8 worth $250k? Uh I don't think so.

First 8 appearances would include B28-30, but it might also be the first eight Justice societies.

Any insurance claim that big will require documentation.i hope he has it.

I still call BS on that value. Even with BB 28-30. Would have to be 9.0+ across the board and I firmly believe that wouldn't get there.

And let's be honest, we're talking A shop in Macon, GA not Metro in NYC.

So a person in Macon, GA can't own a high grade run of valuable comics?

I seem to know someone from this board who lives in the panhandle of Florida that has books that would blow most of us out of the water.

Where they live has ZERO to do with what they could possibly own.

There's definitely something unusual with this story and the valuations. How are the first 10 issues of X-Men worth over $100,000? And why would you be storing $350,000 worth of CGC books at your comic shop?

I remember the thread because it was the first time I had heard the term-- had to look it up. It was definitely meant to be humorous.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8299000&fpart=1

Here's the thread. I wonder if budsbundy got a PM from Nino?

hm

I seem to know someone from this board who lives in the panhandle of Florida that has books that would blow most of us out of the water.

Its very unusual for any small store to keep that sort of inventory on hand. Doesn't matter if its NYC or a swamp.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8299000&fpart=1

hm

Did part get scrubbed? I seem to recall mentioning jewish lightning and so does budsbundy.

Bizarre.

Yep +1. remember columbia comics: the action 1 9.0 white pages came from WV and I'm told I'm not supposed to have shoes or teeth :insane: yet I guess something good can come from here?

Its very unusual for any small store to keep that sort of inventory on hand. Doesn't matter if its NYC or a swamp.

28 books worth "at least" $350,000. Even Midtown Comics doesn't keep that kind of inventory on hand.

Admittedly I don't keep any 4 fig or higher books in our store for any period of time.

Yep +1. remember columbia comics: the action 1 9.0 white pages came from WV and I'm told I'm not supposed to have shoes or teeth :insane: yet I guess something good can come from here?

Even a comic had the sense to leave, though. :baiting:

Collectors can live anywhere. Having a shop with that material is unusual anywhere.

hm

Did part get scrubbed? I seem to recall mentioning jewish lightning and so does budsbundy.

Bizarre.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=9112069&Searchpage=1&Main=399060&Words=jewish+shadroch&topic=0&Search=true#Post9112069

You mentioned Jewish Lightning in another thread two months ago. Must've mixed the two together in your memory banks...

(shrug)

Tragic. I hope the shop has insurance.

Based on the numbers the shop owner is throwing around, I am SURE he had insurance.

I'm thinking along the same lines.

I agree. Something doesn't add up.

JLA 1-8 worth $250k? Uh I don't think so.

First 8 appearances would include B28-30, but it might also be the first eight Justice societies.

Any insurance claim that big will require documentation.i hope he has it.

I still call BS on that value. Even with BB 28-30. Would have to be 9.0+ across the board and I firmly believe that wouldn't get there.

And let's be honest, we're talking A shop in Macon, GA not Metro in NYC.

Dont want to say nothing, but brock is 100% correct on the BS call, but there are dudes in nowhere, GA that have fantastic collections. I met a dude in spartanburg that had a very nice action run 1 up.

+1

:whatev: Not to mention the article says his first JLA 1-8 issues are worth 250K.

Good luck at that in any current existing grade.

I would sooner believe he had a low grade Action 1 that was stolen.

Brock is right to question this.

It's possible the article got the prices wrong.

I agree, questioning the value of the collection is certainly warranted. It seems suspicious at least based on what the article lists as missing and its worth.

Most people wouldn't have that kind of inventory in their comic store but dumber things have been known to happen.