• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcasing 30: The Most Significant Silver Age Aquaman Book

48 posts in this topic

The spirited debates among boardies over the question concerning the SA Aquaman key centers around three books that each have a role in his history and development. Defining the SA Aquman key is no easy challenge. Solving the "riddle" of the Aquaman key is more challenging than identifying Sgt. Rock's 1st Appearance. The challenge in defining the SA Aquaman key has to do with his tryout issue, Showcase 30, and how this book's is defined. Before taking on the challenge presented by Showcase 30, it's important to mention the other two Aquaman keys that have been identified as the quintessential SA Aquaman key: Adventure Comics 260 and Aquaman 1. Both issues deserve their rightful place among the greatest SA Aquaman titles and it's enough to point out how books that provide Aquaman's first SA origin and subsequent number one issue are significant Aquaman SA keys. Interestingly, the arguments supporting these key books underscores the significance of Showcase 30 as the Aquaman tryout issue, his place in the Showcase run, and in DC's history. With two exceptions, Showcase 30 is in many ways similar to Showcase 9.The first exception is that Lois Lane lacks Aquaman's superhero status. The second exception will be pointed out later on. Both are the only tryout titles in the greatest part of the Showcase run that ended with the first appearance of the Metal Men in issue 37. Like Aquaman, Lois Lane was given a tryout issue long after the decline of the Golden Age superhero that coincided with the end of World War II and Wertham's subsequent attack on the comic book during the early '50s postwar period. Both characters had a continued run of appearances in the Superman-related books from the Golden Age right up to the early SA of DC. Lois Lane was awarded her own book but "Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane" was still a Superman-related title. What's important to point out here is that Lois Lane's tryout occurred in the Showcase title before she was placed in her own Superman-related book. Aquaman continued to appear in the Superman-related Adventure Comics title. When DC decided to take Batman and Superman and teamed them together to serve as the foundation of the new "Justice Society-like" team revamp in issue BB 28, Aquaman now regularly appeared in the new juxtaposed Superman-Batman-related title, BB 28. In similar fashion, Aquaman, like Lois Lane, was subsequently given his tryout in Showcase 30. However here is where the earlier mentioned second exception arises- unlike Lois Lane's continued place in the Superman-related titles, Showcase 30 was the first Aquaman book that was not a part of either the Superman nor Batman related titles. This made Showcase 30 the most significant point in the SA history of Aquaman. Aquaman was entirely on "his own" - for the first time in DC's history.

Showcase 30 is a very special book, not just an origin of a character but the origin of a character in his own book- a first for Aquaman without the necessary # 1 on the cover of his lesser key in '62.

Best,

John

Yes, I did.

Read my post carefully. It's not about speculation and movie hype.

Anyone who knows me, is well aware of my interest in comic books and history. I could care less whether SC 30 sells for more or less than Adventure 260 and/or Aquaman 1.

Best,

John

Thanks for the cool insight. Probably could have gone in the other thread.

Thanks

I had this in the other thread and took it out because of the movie related discussions- which is fine for that thread.

Thanks for the kudos!

Best,

John

Thanks

I had this in the other thread and took it out because of the movie related discussions- which is fine for that thread.

Thanks for the kudos!

Best,

John

Makes sense.

I recently bought SC30 because I also feel it is THE Aquaman book to own. However, I also bought Adventure 260 just in case and it's also a cool book. They really need to go hand in hand as a collection for Aquaman.

I do agree the book with more significance is SC30 for the SA.

It's the book that will see the greatest gains in value should interest become stronger.

Yes, I did.

Anyone who knows me, is well aware of my interest in comic books and history. I could care less whether SC 30 sells for more or less than Adventure 30 and/or Aquaman 1.

Best,

John

(thumbs u

I was kidding , your post caught my attention on the other hand people on the other thread are talking now about unrelated stuff

Yes, I did.

Anyone who knows me, is well aware of my interest in comic books and history. I could care less whether SC 30 sells for more or less than Adventure 30 and/or Aquaman 1.

Best,

John

I was kidding , your post caught my attention on the other hand people on the other thread are talking now about unrelated stuff

(thumbs u

Thanks

Thanks for the kudos!

Best,

John

Makes sense.

I recently bought SC30 because I also feel it is THE Aquaman book to own. However, I also bought Adventure 260 just in case and it's also a cool book. They really need to go hand in hand as a collection for Aquaman.

It's the book that will see the greatest gains in value should interest become stronger.

Agreed. Each book is a must for the Aquaman collector. I especially love the green and yellow colors on the cover of SC 30. It really fits in the Showcase "mosaic."

The spirited debates among boardies over the question concerning the SA Aquaman key centers around three books that each have a role in his history and development. Defining the SA Aquman key is no easy challenge. Solving the "riddle" of the Aquaman key is more challenging than identifying Sgt. Rock's 1st Appearance. The challenge in defining the SA Aquaman key has to do with his tryout issue, Showcase 30, and how this book's is defined. Before taking on the challenge presented by Showcase 30, it's important to mention the other two Aquaman keys that have been identified as the quintessential SA Aquaman key: Adventure Comics 260 and Aquaman 1. Both issues deserve their rightful place among the greatest SA Aquaman titles and it's enough to point out how books that provide Aquaman's first SA origin and subsequent number one issue are significant Aquaman SA keys. Interestingly, the arguments supporting these key books underscores the significance of Showcase 30 as the Aquaman tryout issue, his place in the Showcase run, and in DC's history. With two exceptions, Showcase 30 is in many ways similar to Showcase 9.The first exception is that Lois Lane lacks Aquaman's superhero status. The second exception will be pointed out later on. Both are the only tryout titles in the greatest part of the Showcase run that ended with the first appearance of the Metal Men in issue 37. Like Aquaman, Lois Lane was given a tryout issue long after the decline of the Golden Age superhero that coincided with the end of World War II and Wertham's subsequent attack on the comic book during the early '50s postwar period. Both characters had a continued run of appearances in the Superman-related books from the Golden Age right up to the early SA of DC. Lois Lane was awarded her own book but "Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane" was still a Superman-related title. What's important to point out here is that Lois Lane's tryout occurred in the Showcase title before she was placed in her own Superman-related book. Aquaman continued to appear in the Superman-related Adventure Comics title. When DC decided to take Batman and Superman and teamed them together to serve as the foundation of the new "Justice Society-like" team revamp in issue BB 28, Aquaman now regularly appeared in the new juxtaposed Superman-Batman-related title, BB 28. In similar fashion, Aquaman, like Lois Lane, was subsequently given his tryout in Showcase 30. However here is where the earlier mentioned second exception arises- unlike Lois Lane's continued place in the Superman-related titles, Showcase 30 was the first Aquaman book that was not a part of either the Superman nor Batman related titles. This made Showcase 30 the most significant point in the SA history of Aquaman. Aquaman was entirely on "his own" - for the first time in DC's history.

Showcase 30 is a very special book, not just an origin of a character but the origin of a character in his own book- a first for Aquaman without the necessary # 1 on the cover of his lesser key in '62.

Best,

John

Whoa, that's some analysis, my friend. Extremely insightful for us Aquaman fans. I've owned all three books for quite some time and don't think I'll part with them. I'm in total agreement; Showcase 30 is DC's attempt to give Aquaman his due and from this point he rises above his previous status as a second-tier character. Thanks for posting and sharing.

Best,

John

Whoa, that's some analysis, my friend. Extremely insightful for us Aquaman fans. I've owned all three books for quite some time and don't think I'll part with them. I'm in total agreement; Showcase 30 is DC's attempt to give Aquaman his due and from this point he rises above his previous status as a second-tier character. Thanks for posting and sharing.

Thanks Steven (thumbs u

Thanks

Thanks for the kudos!

Best,

John

Makes sense.

Agreed. Each book is a must for the Aquaman collector. I especially love the green and yellow colors on the cover of SC 30. It really fits in the Showcase "mosaic."

I've never been an Aquaman fan but I've always been a huge fan of yellow covers. Sold this one recently, and although it was 'inventory' I sure did enjoy it while it was around.

Showcase%2030%20CGC%209.4_zpsyzd3rhxj.jpg

Thanks

Thanks for the kudos!

Best,

John

Makes sense.

I've never been an Aquaman fan but I've always been a huge fan of yellow covers. Sold this one recently, and although it was 'inventory' I sure did enjoy it while it was around.

Showcase%2030%20CGC%209.4_zpsyzd3rhxj.jpg

That copy makes a serious impression. Moldoff and Purcell hit a home run with that cover.

Yes, I did.

Anyone who knows me, is well aware of my interest in comic books and history. I could care less whether SC 30 sells for more or less than Adventure 260 and/or Aquaman 1.

Best,

John

It's couldn't care less, not could (tsk)

Yes, I did.

Best,

John

It's couldn't care less, not could (tsk)

I stand corrected. Thx