• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

T.O.G.S - '47-'49 Sans Superhero/Timely/DC

70 posts in this topic

Actually, include '46 if you like. Thanks to JBCOMICBOX's T.O.G.S main post, and seeing that even this pre-code collector had only two books that qualified (both 1944 Jungles - just posted one to avoid redundancy) - the 1947 - 1949 period is a fascinating time: a time when the Atom Age was just starting to devleop. The first all- horror comic began in 1947 with good old Avon and Eerie #1 one-shot. EC got into the picture a year too late - 1950 according to Overstreet with Vault Of Horror #12 from 1950.

Anyway - let's avoid pre-code horror (including the Eerie #1 and the Marvel Tales books that also pre-dated Vault Of Horror 12) and go for those cool 1947 - 1949 Atom Age books not a part of Timely or DCh that were not part of an earlier superhero title or a later pre-code horror title.

This is a tight area but, to my mind, a VERY interesting one. Takes a bit of 893scratchchin-thumb.gif before you post.

I will begin with these two:

dagar19.jpg

dagar20.jpg

::edited to include sans timely/dc in subject and body text - dang::

Gotta love those airbrush covers! 893applaud-thumb.gif

If only the original art existed for any of these....

Does anyone know if any even exists?

Is it possible to have too many Schomburg's in this thread?

769484-Exciting60.jpg

769484-Exciting60.jpg.23e63e8df4df978b386c6443b3787085.jpg

Awesome book, looks like the Okajima too!

West

That was my guess, as well, although I have seen similar codes on non-Okajima books before. The tell-tale date stamp on the back would be the deciding factor (or one of the Alan Bahr certs, of course! laugh.gif)

We're waiting, Adam popcorn.gif

Alan

Awesome book, looks like the Okajima too!

West

That was my guess, as well, although I have seen similar codes on non-Okajima books before. The tell-tale date stamp on the back would be the deciding factor (or one of the Alan Bahr certs, of course! laugh.gif)

We're waiting, Adam popcorn.gif

Alan

As I can't log in at work, you had to wait until I got home.

Yes, it's an Okajima. Yes, there's a date stamp on the back. But it didn't come through Alan Bahr, so no "terstificate" as my neice once said. The book on the certificate, Subby 32, is the 8.5 copy in the census. (No, I don't own it.)

Adam, your books are amazing. How long have you been collecting?

Almost 20 years. Wish I'd had more money and done more searching when I started out as some of these books would have been cheaper. At the same time, there have been a number of collections surface in the last 15 years (like the 2 Okajimas I posted in this thread). Even if you have a wantlist and a checkbook, you can only buy what's available in the marketplace. I'm assuming you've been collecting for a while, but still picked up some of the Lost Valley books because you hadn't been able to find nice copies before then.

I'm really impressed by these airbrushed Schomburg covers. Being most familiar with his work on Timely's, I have to admit I haven't been a fan of his because I really dislike the cluttered style of those covers. I know this is heresy, but quite frankly, they've always reminded me of the doodlings a bored 10-year old boy would do in his notebook while listening to a lecture at school. You know the ones I'm talking about, with an airplane firing its guns from the corner and lots of people on the ground being pierced by bullets and oozing blood while people parachute down and tanks come in from the margins. Basically, no space left unfilled.

For the first time, it has occurred to me that perhaps they were drawn that way because the perceived audience was in fact a bunch of 10-year old boys, so that's what the editors at Timely told him to do.

But seeing these simpler, cleaner covers has been a revelation. Suddenly, it's clear that Schomburg DID understand things like composition, space and line control.

Here's for something different from 1949 - Joan of Arc a.k.a. A1 21 - Story by Gardner Fox and illustration by Ogden Whitney

Or should this be in the Atomic Age thread ?? I don't know any more??

770622-JoanofArc-A1-21.jpg

770622-JoanofArc-A1-21.jpg.4f2c76be035cc40e0b1f7a425f4bef43.jpg