• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An odd spider-man occurence

43 posts in this topic

So about 15 minutes ago, A lady walked into my shop. She had called me in regards to a "spider-man #1 Hard-cover book from 1981-82". I told her to bring it down and I would take a look at it. When she arrives, I find that it isn't a Spider-man book per say, but a High School Yearbook from Ruthven Iowa. The cover of the book looks like a spider-man comic, and there is a small article about Stan Lee, and Marvel, but after that, it's just a High School Yearbook. I picked it up for $5.00 just for the coolness of it, but I was wondering if anyone here had ever run across something like this (It is called the Hero of the Yearbook) and I didn't know if it was actually worth anything or not? Has anyone ever seen something similar to this?

Inside, it talks about thanking Marvel for it's help, and they have turned the yearbook into a story. It includes a "transcript" from spider-man telling how he ended up in this small town, and that he's tracking a criminal.

Any help in establishing a value, or leads on who might be interested in it would be appreciated.

front cover of the book Second page inside.

That is superb!

My very first book design/layout gig was on my high school yearbook, and although we had some restrictions as to what we could do with it - it was a private school with a religious foundation, so there was careful scrutiny of content etc. - I was able to convince the powers that be to let me hand draw the cover. I did a rendition of our school's main building but designed the rest of the cover in the good old Marvel cover style, with corner symbol, bar across the top, and seal of approval (with the school name instead of the CCA). Still have one on my shelf.

But this - this just blows that out of the water. An actual Spider-Man yearbook. Very cool indeed.

I'd give it a 5.5 at best. Too many smudges and a seriously damaged LRC.

Oh, wait...this isn't the grading forum! Never mind...

I'm amazed that Marvel would approve such a use of their imagery, but on the other hand, it seems like a great marketing ploy, at least back in the day when comics were for kids.

300? Not too bad. And i'm sure quite a few of those have been thrown out or forgotten about or dosed in alchohol and set in flames. Depends on what you do with YOUR yearbooks 27_laughing.gif. Mine is sittign in the attic collecting dust. Sadly not comic related though.

my question becomes,

woudl I want to list it there, or would I want to list it in a comic category to get the spidey collectors?

I expect the comic category would get more people going to it. Unless the market for collecting Yearbooks is bigger which i doubt it is. I would stick it in the comic section mate smile.gif

You can cross list it in both and it won't cost you too much more. If you only have $5 in it now whats another couple of dollars to list it and see what it brings?

Good luck mate!

Eric