• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dry cleaning -- removing grease pencil

52 posts in this topic

Nice. You can still see the faint ghost of the marker, but the book certainly looks much better.

I tried to stay on the conservative side, I think with a little more VERY careful work I can get it all off. This was most definitely grease pencil and an earlier post was correct, you can expect to spend a couple of hours working on it.

IMG_6322_zpsm9ul4jzi.jpg

Even though it is a lower grade book you ruined the "P" indicator for the Pseudoville Pedigree. Discovered in Pseudoville, MN in 1979 by a still generally unknown (except for a few BSDs) dealer, this OOC is known for full page counts and most staples still attached, an amazing feat considering the age of the collection.

So, before we go all willy nilly erasing marks, we should really be sure of exactly what it is we are erasing!

grease pen is tricky, but can be done. I played around on a beater book in my Journal thread, here is how it came out:

BEFORE:

IMG_6104.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_6120.jpg

Sure it wasnt crayon?

Grease pen for sure. Crayon is actually much harder to remove.

Those pencil style erasers are much too hard. Better of using a white square version.

I bought a bunch of these "P" comics that were recently offered on ebay.

I LOVE the "P" and will not be taking any of them off my comics. To me it's like a mini pedigree.

Your Cap comic is amazing. I bid on it but had to drop out when the bidding got too high. In hand, what do you think it'll grade out at?

IMG_6322_zpsm9ul4jzi.jpg

Even though it is a lower grade book you ruined the "P" indicator for the Pseudoville Pedigree. Discovered in Pseudoville, MN in 1979 by a still generally unknown (except for a few BSDs) dealer, this OOC is known for full page counts and most staples still attached, an amazing feat considering the age of the collection.

So, before we go all willy nilly erasing marks, we should really be sure of exactly what it is we are erasing!

All kidding aside, I am not the only one who recognized the P. It's from a decent collection of Gold that popped up on eBay recently, and most/all had the grease pencil P. I bought one myself.

grease pen is tricky, but can be done. I played around on a beater book in my Journal thread, here is how it came out:

BEFORE:

IMG_6104.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_6120.jpg

Sure it wasnt crayon?

One important question....did you press this book? I can see the spine roll was rolled back to the original position. Did you reinforce the spine? It looked like the pressing damaged the spine.

BEFORE:

IMG_6104.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_6120.jpg

Sure it wasnt crayon?

One important question....did you press this book? I can see the spine roll was rolled back to the original position. Did you reinforce the spine? It looked like the pressing damaged the spine.

With all due respect:

You can't have you cake and eat it, too.

If you look closely at the "before" pic of the spine, and compare the extent of the roll and the readily apparent smaller splits on the lower portion of the spine to the upper two thirs of the spine....the integrity of the lower portion of the spine was completely shot.

I can't say for certain, without having seen the book in person beforehand...but I will say with a 99% certainty that the multiple splits that you can see in the before pic of the lower portion of the spine, was not where the splitting ended.The multiple quarter inch splits were only held onto the book by the roll of the spine itself.The paper was just about (again, 99%) certainly detachedfrom the front cover at the seam

Pressing the book *revealed* the extent of the splitting.

Pressing, more than likely, didn't aggravate the splitting.If it did at all, it was not to an appreciable degree.

IMG_6322_zpsm9ul4jzi.jpg

All kidding aside, I am not the only one who recognized the P. It's from a decent collection of Gold that popped up on eBay recently, and most/all had the grease pencil P. I bought one myself.

I bought a Superman from the collection.

A question for those who have submitted the books to cgc, any bad surprise? Like trimming or resto?

A guy left three negative feedbacks because he says the books were trimmed according to "voldemort"

Based on the feedback and photos it's tough to figure out whether the buyer is on the level or not. I don't see any obvious trimming in the books he bought, and the seller doesn't appear to be slick enough with comics to attempt or bother with micro trimming. Buyer also has low feedback. And I'd think some of the big guns here who made purchases would notice if something was amiss with their copies. The books with bad feedback were just purchased 7 weeks ago. Is Voldemort caught up enough that the books could have gone from seller to buyer to FL and graded?

I have no horse in this race and buyer feedback may very well be legit, these are just some questions that occurred to me. I'd probably call Steve B. if I was concerned; I'll bet he'll remember the books.

BEFORE:

IMG_6104.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_6120.jpg

Sure it wasnt crayon?

With all due respect:

You can't have you cake and eat it, too.

If you look closely at the "before" pic of the spine, and compare the extent of the roll and the readily apparent smaller splits on the lower portion of the spine to the upper two thirs of the spine....the integrity of the lower portion of the spine was completely shot.

I can't say for certain, without having seen the book in person beforehand...but I will say with a 99% certainty that the multiple splits that you can see in the before pic of the lower portion of the spine, was not where the splitting ended.The multiple quarter inch splits were only held onto the book by the roll of the spine itself.The paper was just about (again, 99%) certainly detachedfrom the front cover at the seam

Pressing the book *revealed* the extent of the splitting.

Pressing, more than likely, didn't aggravate the splitting.If it did at all, it was not to an appreciable degree.

This is correct, the splitting was present prior to the pressing. The pressing itself was super conservative, low heat and pressure, and was only used to move the spine roll to the back. Purely an experiment on a total beater, if you want to see it more in depth my journal is here: Impalers Journal

Based on the feedback and photos it's tough to figure out whether the buyer is on the level or not. I don't see any obvious trimming in the books he bought, and the seller doesn't appear to be slick enough with comics to attempt or bother with micro trimming. Buyer also has low feedback. And I'd think some of the big guns here who made purchases would notice if something was amiss with their copies. The books with bad feedback were just purchased 7 weeks ago. Is Voldemort caught up enough that the books could have gone from seller to buyer to FL and graded?

I have no horse in this race and buyer feedback may very well be legit, these are just some questions that occurred to me. I'd probably call Steve B. if I was concerned; I'll bet he'll remember the books.

If Voldemort pegged 3 of them as being restored, I'd say that the odds of others from this "P pedigree" are also trimmed.

Thete could be a very skick/slimy reason as to why the auction seller has low feedback and looks like a typically obvlivious non-comics dealer who isn't slick tnough to either have micr trimmed the books , or had knowledge of any micro trimming.The seller could be a veteran scammer , with another eBay ID..... posing as a bit of a chump, in order to sell a bunch of raw comics and plying GA collectors into thinking they hit the motherlode, luvking out on a pedigree group of suction listings.

West Stephen and Borock are very unlikely to mistake microtrimming, look at their career histories with CGC, before CBCS.

Just foor for thought.

If Voldemort pegged 3 of them as being restored, I'd say that the odds of others from this "P pedigree" are also trimmed.

Thete could be a very skick/slimy reason as to why the auction seller has low feedback and looks like a typically obvlivious non-comics dealer who isn't slick tnough to either have micr trimmed the books , or had knowledge of any micro trimming.The seller could be a veteran scammer , with another eBay ID..... posing as a bit of a chump, in order to sell a bunch of raw comics and plying GA collectors into thinking they hit the motherlode, luvking out on a pedigree group of suction listings.

West Stephen and Borock are very unlikely to mistake microtrimming, look at their career histories with CGC, before CBCS.

Just foor for thought.

This seller was NOT a scammer. She is very legit. Her communication was top notch. She doesn't know a lot of specifics about comics herself but has enough knowledge of "a good thing when she sees it" to take a risk on bidding on these at an auction. She was lucky and she hit the jackpot. It was a great collection. From everything I saw it was very legit. I bought about 10 of them and the ones I got all came across as from a normal raw OO collection. I sent a few into CGC for grading so I'll know more when I get them back, but I am 100% confident they will come back with blue labels.

Just foor for thought.

This seller was NOT a scammer. She is very legit. Her communication was top notch. She doesn't know a lot of specifics about comics herself but has enough knowledge of "a good thing when she sees it" to take a risk on bidding on these at an auction. She was lucky and she hit the jackpot. It was a great collection. From everything I saw it was very legit. I bought about 10 of them and the ones I got all came across as from a normal raw OO collection. I sent a few into CGC for grading so I'll know more when I get them back, but I am 100% confident they will come back with blue labels.

As usual, CAK chimed in without reading and sans comprehension. The seller doesn't have low feedback, the buyer who left negative feedback does. The seller has a long and extensive history. My post questioned the veracity of the buyer's claims based on the limited information gleaned from the auctions and feedback.

. . .The seller doesn't have low feedback, the buyer who left negative feedback does. The seller has a long and extensive history. My post questioned the veracity of the buyer's claims based on the limited information gleaned from the auctions and feedback.

(thumbs u

Just foor for thought.

Just wondering if CGC graded the books you submitted. If so, I hope you got only blue labels