• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinite Bronze Romance Thread

602 posts in this topic

Vincent Zurzolo, for many of those. For the remainder, Greggy sold his shriveled soul.

Just because you could sack up and pay their prices. :whistle:

All kidding aside, I never felt the urge to put these runs together. I need upgrades of the first issues and I have nice copies of the last issues and few others here and there. By the way, as you are wont to tell me I often overpay for books. Not that that is anything to be proud of. :whistle:

--S.

Vincent Zurzolo, for many of those. For the remainder, Greggy sold his shriveled soul.

All kidding aside, I never felt the urge to put these runs together. I need upgrades of the first issues and I have nice copies of the last issues and few others here and there. By the way, as you are wont to tell me I often overpay for books. Not that that is anything to be proud of. :whistle:

--S.

Did you overpay for that Demon 1 CGC 9.6 with your dupe account? I can't believe I lost that snipe battle. :frustrated:

--S.

Did you overpay for that Demon 1 CGC 9.6 with your dupe account? I can't believe I lost that snipe battle. :frustrated:

Nope. Was it in the Bobcat auctions? I didn't need anything in this batch, but there were some super sweet war books.

Stuart is trying to snap the run of the mill copies all up so he can sell them to greggy for 5x. :devil: (waits for inane Canadian retort . . .)

In all seriousness, the copies of GL look great. But what can you really tell from a scan?

Stuart is trying to snap the run of the mill copies all up so he can sell them to greggy for 5x. :devil: (waits for inane Canadian retort . . .)

In all seriousness, the copies of GL look great. But what can you really tell from a scan?

Seller probably regrets selling the first batch with little fanfare due to his 3-day auctions where a lot of people including me missed out on some books. The second batch easily did 2-3 times better per book this time around.

Gents, it was me that duked it out and won the Young Love 69. "There can be only one", but sometimes that costs you $225. Worth it to me, that book is very very rare in decent grade. Greggy himself was spending some bucks, coming over me at 3 seconds on a few books at $100+ prices.

This Canadian lot was indicative of the strength of the genre. 103 books, I can tell you from experience that we won't be seeing something like this again anytime soon, especially on Ebay. Big prices. I spoke to the seller before this weekend bunch and he couldn't believe the prices he got at the beginning of the week. I told him the weekend was going to be a monster for him.

Sean, you're right about the small scan, but this seller promises a money back no questions asked refund if not satisfied ( as compared to a refund if the description is wildly inaccurate). Old school selling. Greggy, you got a few of the higher grade books, let's post some covers and compare notes when they come in.

Gents, it was me that duked it out and won the Young Love 69. "There can be only one", but sometimes that costs you $225. Worth it to me, that book is very very rare in decent grade. Greggy himself was spending some bucks, coming over me at 3 seconds on a few books at $100+ prices.

This Canadian lot was indicative of the strength of the genre. 103 books, I can tell you from experience that we won't be seeing something like this again anytime soon, especially on Ebay. Big prices. I spoke to the seller before this weekend bunch and he couldn't believe the prices he got at the beginning of the week. I told him the weekend was going to be a monster for him.

Sean, you're right about the small scan, but this seller promises a money back no questions asked refund if not satisfied ( as compared to a refund if the description is wildly inaccurate). Old school selling. Greggy, you got a few of the higher grade books, let's post some covers and compare notes when they come in.

Well, assuming he ships them out on Tuesday, I should have the books by the end of the week because he lives 2.5 hours away from me via driving. I'll post the books when I get them. I missed out on around 4 books that I needed from the first batch but did get all of my priorities from today's offerings. I didn't expect to shell out that much $$ so close to buying my lot from Metro but like you said, it's very rare for this many books to come out at once so I had to go after them.

Dr. Love, you've been registered here longer than I have and yet you almost never post. Let's see some of your collection, shall we? And I want to hear your take on the current state of collecting Bronze Age romance books. (As well as anything else that interests you.)

And congrats on that win - in the long run $225 isn't all that much to get such a sought-after, hard-to-find book.

I was the under bidder on the Young Love 69, and on maybe 10 other books. I won only 4 books. I can't belive the prices they went for. Oh well.--Joe
If eBay sucks, why do you keep bidding on it? :jokealert:

Dr. Love, you've been registered here longer than I have and yet you almost never post. Let's see some of your collection, shall we? And I want to hear your take on the current state of collecting Bronze Age romance books. (As well as anything else that interests you.)

And congrats on that win - in the long run $225 isn't all that much to get such a sought-after, hard-to-find book.

Hi Todd. I guess I'm more of a lurker than a poster. I'd be happy to scan up in the near future. My interest in romance books scans the ages, and I really only like pretty books. But I've been at this for a while - getting back into collecting again (3rd time) in the early 90's, love books were hard to find in grade but still dirt cheap if you did. And fascinating material. In other words, a collecting challenge that at the time was easy on the wallet. Not so much now.

So out of about 6000 total romance books, I've got about 4000, mostly VF or better. Michelle Nolan, who contibutes to the CGC newsletter, has got them all, but she could care less about condition. A true completist. Of course most of my collection are gold or silver, which is why I haven't contributed much to this thread. I prefer DC silver to bronze, and by the bronze age even that great glut of Charltons, so ugly they're beautiful, had dribbled out. Only the two 7 year Marvel romance titles were born and died in bronze.

If you guys are interested I could start an Infinite Silver or Gold Romance thread. I might be the lone contributor, much like Greggy carrying most of the weight in this thread, but it's nice to have your collection appreciated. My wife don't get it. When I get a new shipment she calls me Nancy.

Andy

Andy -

Glad to have you on board. Yeah, by all means please show us some of your books. Greggy offers some scans now and then, but he will only show off his top-of-the-grade books. Which is great, but I'm sure it's the tip of the iceberg that is his collection.

4,000 out of 6,000? man, the mind boggles!

My pride and joy at the moment is Young Love #69 which I found at San Diego last year. Ended up being the top census at 8.5. Currently I'm focusing on Young Love and Young Romance and just buying any of the others when I can find a nice copy. As it is, that means I'm rarely able to find and buy one. That said, my BA romance collection is growing quite slowly.

Sid, why did you sell this book? Just wondering...

So out of about 6000 total romance books, I've got about 4000, mostly VF or better. Michelle Nolan, who contibutes to the CGC newsletter, has got them all, but she could care less about condition. A true completist.

Who was it that Michelle used to give props to in her CBM Nolan's Notes column for being a huge romance collector. Joe Vereanault (sp)? Didn't he have 95% or more?

Marc

So out of about 6000 total romance books, I've got about 4000, mostly VF or better. Michelle Nolan, who contibutes to the CGC newsletter, has got them all, but she could care less about condition. A true completist.

Who was it that Michelle used to give props to in her CBM Nolan's Notes column for being a huge romance collector. Joe Vereanault (sp)? Didn't he have 95% or more?

Marc

I don't think it would have been Joe V. I used to do some buying from him, great guy, he sold me the Geppi warehouse file run of all the Harvey romance titles. Perhaps it was one of these names: Dan Stevenson, who has compiled the definitive listing of all romance comics ever published and has all or nearly all himself, or Jim Vadebocouer, or Mike Tiefenbacher, both of whom contributed to Dan's work.

An url to Dan's list btw for anyone who's interested is here:

http://www.matt-thorn.com/comicology/romance/stevenson.html

My pride and joy at the moment is Young Love #69 which I found at San Diego last year. Ended up being the top census at 8.5. Currently I'm focusing on Young Love and Young Romance and just buying any of the others when I can find a nice copy. As it is, that means I'm rarely able to find and buy one. That said, my BA romance collection is growing quite slowly.

Sid, why did you sell this book? Just wondering...

Hi, it's been a while since I've posted, but when I saw this thread pop up from near retirement, I thought I'd respond. Not too long ago I went on a serious selling spree, liquidating just about all the CGCed books that I had, and this YL #69 just happened to be in a slab, so off it went. Too bad really, because it was a book that I had searched long and hard for, but when priorities change, and when dollars can be put to good use elsewhere, some things go, and some things are aquired (non-comic related). At any rate, I've still got all the rest of my raw romance books, and in this day and age, they are about the only thing keeping me interested in comics these days.