• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,182 posts in this topic

Well I'll be watching it for the 2nd time tonight and see if I still had that same feeling when I saw it at a pre-screening. I ignored the somewhat terrible CGI effects during the pre-screen because I knew it was still a work in progress. Looks like they left it alone after hearing from a few people on here complaining about it. 

I also was reading up on people's comments in social media to get their feedback and majority enjoyed and loved the film. 

On 6/17/2023 at 3:41 PM, Dark Knight said:

Well I'll be watching it for the 2nd time tonight and see if I still had that same feeling when I saw it at a pre-screening. I ignored the somewhat terrible CGI effects during the pre-screen because I knew it was still a work in progress. Looks like they left it alone after hearing from a few people on here complaining about it. 

I also was reading up on people's comments in social media to get their feedback and majority enjoyed and loved the film. 

I purchased Young Justice Season 4 on VUDU today for $9.99 and Fandango sent me an $8 ticket discount for The Flash. Going to try and see it on Monday.

On 6/16/2023 at 8:39 PM, I like pie said:

Just got back from seeing it. The first half was very rough to sit though but I enjoyed the second half. The CGI was embarrassingly bad and unfinished. Overall,  I'd rate it a 4.5/10.

Very different experience here. 

Overall, I thought it was pretty good, but I particularly enjoyed the first part and was quite disappointed with the ending.  I feel like I can see why this movie isn't going over as well as it might have.

The beginning was just fun.  I mean:

Spoiler

The flying babies were incredibly ridiculous and over the top, but I think I was smiling throughout the whole thing.  There were a number of times I genuinely laughed out loud.

Ezra Miller, whatever else you say about them, makes a pretty good flash.  Keaton was great.  Sasha Calle was very good.  There were some genuine heartfelt moments.

But then (forgive my small rant):

Spoiler

They just completely misfired on the finale,  I think in several ways. 

(1) After this great journey to find Batman and Supergirl, and this seemingly climactic battle, we drop those two characters completely.  Like, they "die," and then the finale becomes something else entirely.  It was a very poor way to leave them.  And they're just gone after that.  Never to be seen again.  Super disappointing.

Especially when (2) the finale now becomes about the Flash vs. his alternate future self.  When there has been virtually no set-up for this (except the extremely brief glimpse of this person earlier in the film, when you are not meant to know who it was.)  It's too out of left field and unconnected to anything that has come before.  There's no time for the audience to have anything invested in this particular conflict.  Barry's "sacrifice" to stop his future self, falls completely flat.  

And (3) don't even try to work through the logic of the whole thing.  It doesn't work.  Not with the "rules" as they themselves have laid them out.  I know this doesn't bother some people as much as it bothers me, but I do think even the average audience member knows when a film is "cheating."  But the film doesn't care about that, instead what it really cares about is:

(4) The actual climactic scene where they get to do all the cool cameos.  And, like, I liked most of that.  It was pretty fun.  Even the ridiculous Nic Cage one.  But, it just doesn't substitute for an actually satisfying finale.  It's like the filmmakers were doing a magic trick.  Pulling a rabbit out of a hat and distracting their audience from the fact that this ending was dumb.  

And then, that final scene:

Spoiler

What a complete tonal misfire. 

What exactly was the audience supposed to be feeling after that?  Were we supposed to be "shocked?"  Like, wondering "omg, what happens now?"  Were we just supposed to laugh?  Like it was all a big gag?   The fact it was Clooney - from famously the worst Batman film - suggests this was the actual reaction we were supposed to have.  Either way, it was supremely unsatisfying.  Not unlike a cheap horror movie where the hero thinks they have defeated the monster, when "surprise!" the monster jumps out at them at the end, and cut to black.  Maybe you can get away with that in a cheap horror movie, but this should have been above that.   Interestingly, what I read above about the "alternate" endings - which had Keaton and Calle actually showing up again - might have been a little better.  You wouldn't have been left with the cheap gag option at least.  

And unfortunately, the final credit teaser with Aquaman seems to further support the idea that it was all just a big joke at the end.  

Though I'm ranting a bit, like I said, I mostly enjoyed it.  My overall feeling is positive.  The really enjoyable beginning/middle outweigh the disappointing ending.  But I'm not at all surprised it's not getting universal praise.  And it's not even close to the "best superhero movie ever."  

Just saw it with the family…

This movie proved to me that the DC universe is nothing without Batman and Superman. It’s a 2-man universe and everyone else is an NPC in their world.

DC couldn’t even make an interesting Flash movie, one of DC’s Mount Rushmore characters, without leaning heavily on Batman and Superman? I felt like I was watching a sequel to he 2013 Superman movie…resurrecting Zod? that’s the best you can do? 

How about a Gorilla Grodd flic or a Heat Wave/Captain Cold/Killer Frost flic…DC is a one trick pony. If it’s not Joker, Lex Luther or Zod they’re lost…

It's really too bad that they didn't complete the technical aspects of the movie (VFX), because the creative choices don't hurt it that much, but the combination of the two make this a very average 2.5-hour watch.

I did enjoy it more the 2nd time around. Probably a 3.8/5 IMO.

Seems like it is Ezra and the special effects that are killing this film. With the first hour basically being all him, it is for some making it hard for many to get through. I am saying this based on word of mouth from my perspective, I have not seen the film yet.

Another big factor, it is likely the last (or next to last movie) in a dead DCEU that barely got off the ground to begin with (in relation to the MCU).  There is no impetus to see this film, because all fans, and many movie goers know that the DC on film is being rebooted. This movie just has no importance or a must see feel to it.

Edited by drotto

https://reason.com/2023/06/16/the-flash-makes-the-case-against-the-multiverse/

interesting review in reason magazine. i don't fully agree with him, but it's worth reading. he's not a fan of multiverse stories in general. a quote from the piece:

"Like No Way Home, The Flash is more of a self-regarding nostalgia trip than an actual movie, the cinematic equivalent of flipping through an old yearbook and murmuring, Hey, remember when…? But No Way Home, as cynical as it was, also offered some actual value along with its winks and nods and nostalgic remembrances, setting up a warm send-off for more than two decades of Spider-Men, all of whom brought something memorable to the character."

On 6/18/2023 at 10:26 AM, alexgross.com said:

https://reason.com/2023/06/16/the-flash-makes-the-case-against-the-multiverse/

interesting review in reason magazine. i don't fully agree with him, but it's worth reading. he's not a fan of multiverse stories in general. a quote from the piece:

"Like No Way Home, The Flash is more of a self-regarding nostalgia trip than an actual movie, the cinematic equivalent of flipping through an old yearbook and murmuring, Hey, remember when…? But No Way Home, as cynical as it was, also offered some actual value along with its winks and nods and nostalgic remembrances, setting up a warm send-off for more than two decades of Spider-Men, all of whom brought something memorable to the character."

Multiverse stories are the hardest to do well.  NWH is the exception, not the rule.  Flash as well as the current MCU, prove that these types of stories are not popular. I am in the camp of being very tired of multiverse as well as time travel stories. 

Ultimately, they have reduced stakes, often suffer from massive plot holes, inconsistent logic,  and can be confusing. 

Haven't seen the film yet, but...

I honestly wonder why the studio didn't believe a solid Flash movie could be told on it's own, a la Man of Steel, Wonder Woman or Aquaman.

To recast this as "Super Friends" slights a major superhero - with a solid rogue's gallery and hundreds of stories to choose from - implying he couldn't carry his own movie.

I love the Flash - if he's proven he can carry his own TV show for 9 seasons, he could certainly carry his own film (or 3), without relying on other members of the Justice League or on multiverse time travel shenanigans.

On 6/18/2023 at 12:06 PM, Larryw7 said:

I think one of the problems with The Flash's lackluster reception is that we are nearing the end of a cycle. Biblical films were gigantic box office in the fifties. The genre peaked with Ben Hur in 1959 and the films that came after(some of them very good) did lower box office and mixed.reviews. The same with musicals. Big box office for a decade,.peaks with The Sound of Music in 1965 and everything after that bombed. 

I know people here won't be too happy about it, but think the comic book movie craze has been played out Endgame was the peak,  along with ZS Justice League,and with the exception of NWH and GOTG, the newer movies just aren't that appealing to the mass audience.

Batman will always be popular. Spidey will always be popular. But the Avengers, especially without Iron Man and Captain America, may be past its glory days. Time will tell.

funny girl biggest domestic hit of year just a couple years later.   

Somewhere in the "spaghetti" is a good movie but there is so much about this film I didn't like.

Barry's room mate has a tattoo of Eric Stoltz on his leg... is that in the movie because it is supposed to be funny for 5 seconds? 

Jon Peter's giant spider finally made it to the big screen.

Edited by Artboy99