• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,182 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2023 at 2:03 PM, Straw-Man said:

funny girl biggest domestic hit of year just a couple years later.   

Forget about that one. I was thinking Star! and Song of Norway. Funny Girl is the No Way Home of musicals.

On 6/18/2023 at 5:19 PM, Larryw7 said:

Forget about that one. I was thinking Star! and Song of Norway. Funny Girl is the No Way Home of musicals.

not too proud in showing off my movie-musical chops, but i think camelot and fiddler were pretty big hits not long after sound of music.

On 6/18/2023 at 6:23 PM, Straw-Man said:

not too proud in showing off my movie-musical chops, but i think camelot and fiddler were pretty big hits not long after sound of music.

You're right about Fiddler, but Camelot was a disappointment at the box office.

Saw it today.  My family's Father's Day gift to me.  I'd give it a B+

A few thoughts:

- In my opinion the most inventive part was the opening sequence at the hospital.  Fun stuff that would only make sense in a super-speed movie.
- I wonder if the time travel / multiverse angle would have been so much better received if they hadn't wasted so many years producing this one, and instead got the film out before No Way Home.  It seems to play on the same nostalgia vibe, but now seems too derivative (again!) of what Marvel has already put on screen.
- I had no problem with the special effects, but then my first genre media was Star Trek the Original Series, so I'm not hard to please. :wink:

- My daughter (MCU pre-Endgame fan) said it was "okay." My wife (complete civilian in all this) said it was better than she expected going in.  

Other thoughts need to be behind spoiler tags

- At first, I hated the Zod resolution, but then 

Spoiler

I realized this is the in-DCEU argument that Superman made the right decision in Man of Steel.  It supports the contention that Kal-El had no other choice. and without a Kal-El to make that choice, Zod does in fact win.  So, an okay tip of the hat to Zack Snyder that makes what is otherwise an incredible bummer of an ending easier to accept.

- And the ultimate resolution?

Spoiler

The film makes a big deal about Barry learning his lesson, and it would have been a relief for him to do so, as it possibly would take time travel and multiverse-jumping off the table, which as others have remarked means that none of these stories have any real consequences.  But once he gave up on saving his mother, I guess he couldn't help himself by trying to save his father?  And oops, doing even that does hose things up again, as we see who steps out of the limo at the end.  But now what?  Who are we supposed to believe is Batman in the world of the upcoming Aquaman 2?  Seems like they need yet another trip to the spaghetti factory to set up Gunn's new universe.  Or, they drop this point altogether, as I highly doubt they're gonna pay for any more cameo appearances by GC.  Dropping it at this point seems like a big missed opportunity to transition from the Snyderverse to whatever is coming next, but DC movies of late seem to be full of missed opportunities.  

Happy Fathers’ day to all -

Saw this with the wife and our son today. I liked it the best of the three of us, but over lunch it appears we all were pretty much of like mind in that we liked parts of it. 

We all agreed that all the Michael Keaton stuff was well done. Unfortunately the nostalgia aspect of the character (which they nailed) they couldn’t resist spoiling so much of in the trailers… that was a shame. Even so, the character was well-used. I don’t want to drone on with the NWH comparisons, but much in the way that movie used Tobey and Andrew so well both as to advance their own story AND the current story, they hit that out of the park here too.

The opening scene, and this was more me than my family — I really enjoyed. They enjoyed it, but I have been a Batfleck fan, and I liked one last ride with that Justice League, and I guess knowing it was the last time we’d see any of it… I appreciated it for that reason. It was well done, but I felt sad and happy watching it. 

Flashpoint is one of my favorite modern DC books… and I was glad they took a swing at it, and they did hit a bunch of the major story points and I was glad they did. 

Had no issue with Ezra. Thought they handled both roles well. The only CGI I had issue with was the multiverse stuff, but I thought that was awful as a scripting issue… the CGI just made it worse. Just showing those characters to… show them… I mean… I think that was when the movie completely lost me.

And yes, I did smile at the

Spoiler

Nicholas Cage one. 

But if you’re going to go to the  trouble to do that? Then actually use the character in some real way.  What they did was .. well, it didn’t work for me.

I read about the different endings, and it makes sense. Can’t promise what they won’t deliver. To be honest, I don’t really think they know/care where they’ve left things in this universe… since it’s ended. I mean, how on earth are they promoting Aquaman 2? I have no idea… but god bless them.  It’s too bad too. In my opinion, the casting did not let them down in this iteration of the Justice League at all. At all.  The first 10 minutes of this movie kind of show you that it could have worked, I believe.

Oh well.  

But hey, if someone asks me if I’d recommend this movie, it’s fairly simple. If you have a warm place in your heart for the Burton Batman movies, then 100% go see this. If you were a big fan of the Synder Justice League…you could see or wait and stream it, as you might only really love the start of the movie. 

On 6/18/2023 at 11:19 PM, Larryw7 said:

Watched Fiddler on the Roof recently.

Good songs, good story.

As with Doctor Zhivago, an interesting film about Eastern Europe during a time of great social transition.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/18/2023 at 9:58 PM, Artboy99 said:

Barry's room mate has a tattoo of Eric Stoltz on his leg... is that in the movie because it is supposed to be funny for 5 seconds? 

A now very obscure Back to the Future reference.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:50 PM, Bosco685 said:

Camelot, maybe twice in my life.

Camelot’s a bit boring.

On 6/19/2023 at 7:57 AM, Ken Aldred said:

As with Doctor Zhivago, an interesting film about Eastern Europe during a time of great social transition.

I've been so fascinated by this movie since I was a kid. I can't even count how many times I have watched it throughout the years. And with those goregeous eyes and unique look, Julie Christie made for quite the impression.

Julie Christie as Lara—"the violent, sensual, sensitive girl" in Dr.  Zhivago #saturdaymatinee #book2movie

On 6/19/2023 at 7:18 AM, Bosco685 said:

I've been so fascinated by this movie since I was a kid. I can't even count how many times I have watched it throughout the years. And with those goregeous eyes and unique look, Julie Christie made for quite the impression.

Julie Christie as Lara—"the violent, sensual, sensitive girl" in Dr.  Zhivago #saturdaymatinee #book2movie

i'm the same way.   i was about 10 when i first saw it, and still remember being disturbed by the gravesite scene, where lean shows us the mother in the coffin while the dirt is being shoveled in.   creeped me out!