• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,182 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2023 at 12:57 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Something maybe lost in the discourse of the movie... I asked both of my parents if this movie clarified anything going from the DCEU to James Gunn's DCU... "Not at all."

My guess? Perhaps all of the DCU movies will reference The Flash at the beginning, to show how/why the character is different. It won't work for me, but maybe it could work for the audience they intend on attracting.

I'm still going to see it for my own experience opinion. But it would be a shame after all this time (including all the creative staff changes and leadership shifts) if DC Studios wasted a chance to make this a general win under the new banner.

At least the WB Studios co-CEOs were going for a stronger plan before the co-DC Studios announcement.

On 6/20/2023 at 1:35 PM, Bosco685 said:

I'm still going to see it for my own experience opinion. But it would be a shame after all this time (including all the creative staff changes and leadership shifts) if DC Studios wasted a chance to make this a general win under the new banner.

At least the WB Studios co-CEOs were going for a stronger plan before the co-DC Studios announcement.

I get that time is $$$$$, and completing VFX takes time, and they didn't want to spend any more money on this movie... But IMO they did waste this chance by releasing an incomplete product. Maybe it'll look better in 4K on my smaller screen, otherwise I hope it's "remastered" to completion in the future.

On 6/20/2023 at 7:47 AM, Bosco685 said:

"BVS bombed and audiences turned their backs on the Snyderverse"

BVS_BO.png.193692fd193d56f118c2571ca334b034.png.03fc2ea5afe99a00d94891c5758b220d.png

Film makes an estimated $105M profit after being massively panned by critics and social influencers. And the Domestic Home Theater market purchases 4.1M units of BVS UE blu-rays/DVDs alone. Not including digital sales.

"Just you and 3-4 others like these movies"

BvS_CGC_poll.png.8ec0003f12977a9ac7cee011de1a8e6e.png.3fe0d14d0ef388a99724449733f43632.png.cf66c47095632ae373a82ea4a0c3c609.png

46/196 gave BVS an 8.0/10 and 24/196 gave it a 9.0/10.

"I will continue to hatepost about films because I must. But me and a few others will blame you for forum disruption and discontent even though you enjoy DC, Fox Marvel, Sony Marvel, MCU and other CBM properties. You're a DC-only troll!"

:highfive:

Would it be fair to day BvS made money, but in the eyes of the general public underperformed, when it was positioned as DC's Avengers? This was expected to be a $1 billion plus film, and really push as such. Plus, with two of the biggest comic characters together foe the first time, that in and of itself was expected to drive this film.

To be fair, I think studio pressure, severly hurt this film.  I know that DC did not want to be seen as copying the MCU's road to success, but a solo Batman film and/or the Wonder Woman film should have been released first, then lead into this movie.  Then we should have gotten a few more solo films leading I to Justice League.  I know, that was the Marvel approach, but it works for a reason.  It gets people invested in the characters, them creates an event film.  Jumping to BvS then right to JL, was too fast.

On 6/20/2023 at 2:25 PM, drotto said:

Would it be fair to day BvS made money, but in the eyes of the general public underperformed, when it was positioned as DC's Avengers? This was expected to be a $1 billion plus film, and really push as such. Plus, with two of the biggest comic characters together foe the first time, that in and of itself was expected to drive this film.

It would be fair if the movie wasn't butchered a few weeks prior to release by the studio, just to fit in more showings. I can't see how it's fair to sabotage a product and then expect your random quota to be met.

To be fair, I think studio pressure, severly hurt this film.  I know that DC did not want to be seen as copying the MCU's road to success, but a solo Batman film and/or the Wonder Woman film should have been released first, then lead into this movie.  Then we should have gotten a few more solo films leading I to Justice League.  I know, that was the Marvel approach, but it works for a reason.  It gets people invested in the characters, them creates an event film.  Jumping to BvS then right to JL, was too fast.

This.

Unfair expectations - that were hampered by ridiculously poor character choices and writing.

Warner Bros. clearly expected it to clear $1 bn.+ - since the prior Superman solo film did a $650+ million -- and the previous two Batman outings had eachj cleared $1 bn.+

But the biggest proof that it didn't meet those expectations?

(Again) That Warner Bros. hired Whedon not just to finish the first Justice League film, but also to lighten it up - intentionally diluting Snyder's (failed) vision depicted in BvS theatrical and make it more "fun" (like the Marvel films), hoping for a better result than they had with BvS (which grossed nearly $900 million theatrical - solid numbers by almost any measure).

But no - the damage was done, and audiences just didn't show up for Justice League. Fool me once and all...

On 6/20/2023 at 2:09 PM, eastriver400 said:

Sigh. The Gunniverse can't come soon enough. This mythology deserves better. 

Not sure I can get that excited about the "Gunniverse" when he is out there making statements like this:

"James Gunn calls the Flash one of the greatest superhero movies ever."

If he thinks that "The Flash" is the bar for great superhero movies then I'm ready to write off the next 10 years of DC movies.

No. Because "Dawn of Justice" hinted to a DC's Avengers later on. Not this film. But one can convince themselves of this.

On 6/20/2023 at 2:32 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It would be fair if the movie wasn't butchered a few weeks prior to release by the studio, just to fit in more showings. I can't see how it's fair to sabotage a product and then expect your random quota to be met.

Somewhat. Again, "Dawn of Justice" meant the big superhero team movie was coming.

But unlike Marvel Studios where its second movie actually failed at the box office but it stayed the course, WB Studios executives threw their skirts in the air and started scrambling with a movie that made money. Huge difference in committed leadership to a creative vision.

:facepalm:

Edited by Bosco685

On 6/20/2023 at 2:49 PM, media_junkie said:

Not sure I can get that excited about the "Gunniverse" when he is out there making statements like this:

"James Gunn calls the Flash one of the greatest superhero movies ever."

If he thinks that "The Flash" is the bar for great superhero movies then I'm ready to write off the next 10 years of DC movies.

It was a good movie. Greatest? No way.  He took a page from the MCU playbook hyping it up.

On 6/20/2023 at 2:49 PM, Bosco685 said:

But unlike Marvel Studios where its second movie actually failed at the box office but it stayed the course, WB Studios executives threw their skirts in the air and started scrambling with a movie that made money. Huge difference in committed leadership to a creative vision.

:facepalm:

Made money...

Despite

• a horrific "B" CinemaScore
  • 69.1% 2nd weekend drop-off  -- each of these goes to poor audience Word of Mouth
  • Was critically reviled (29% positive on Rotten Tomatoes)
  • Finished well outside the top 5 domestic grossers of the year
  • Got stomped domestically by Deadpool

People got fired because of this film.

On 6/20/2023 at 3:07 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Made money...

Despite

• a horrific "B" CinemaScore
  • 69.1% 2nd weekend drop-off  -- each of these goes to poor audience Word of Mouth
  • Was critically reviled (29% positive on Rotten Tomatoes)
  • Finished well outside the top 5 domestic grossers of the year
  • Got stomped domestically by Deadpool

People got fired because of this film.

You still instigating because I counter your PA campaign with facts? Oh well.

And yet people went back to the Ultimate Edition and realized what that 30 minutes meant to the story that were cut. But yes - even with all that WB executive tampering, it still made money. And on the Digital Copy side the results would be even bigger as it was the earliest event movie that retailers formed release campaigns around. Including Walmart.

No. 13 ‘Batman V. Superman’ Box Office Profits

BVS_BO.JPG.fc622bbdbb3b9f2a77c7a5659d396065.JPG

On 6/20/2023 at 3:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

You still instigating because I counter your PA campaign with facts? Oh well.

And yet people went back to the Ultimate Edition and realized what that 30 minutes meant to the story that were cut. But yes - even with all that WB executive tampering, it still made money. And on the Digital Copy side the results would be even bigger as it was the earliest event movie that retailers formed release campaigns around. Including Walmart.

No. 13 ‘Batman V. Superman’ Box Office Profits

BVS_BO.JPG.fc622bbdbb3b9f2a77c7a5659d396065.JPG

This post proves my point. It was profitable garbage, but not profitable enough…and this screwed the Justice League’s prospects before that film was even released.

# 8 domestic gross box office receipts for the year.

# 13 in net profitability.

Because…it sucked.

On 6/20/2023 at 4:37 PM, Gatsby77 said:

This post proves my point. It was profitable garbage, but not profitable enough…and this screwed the Justice League’s prospects before that film was even released.

# 8 domestic gross box office receipts for the year.

# 13 in net profitability.

Because…it sucked.

:roflmao:

One trick pony

On 6/20/2023 at 3:14 PM, The Brain said:

Just got back from seeing this movie.

I give it an 8 out of 10.

Good story, action and pace.

It is a shame we will never see these actors playing these,  

characters again, (hope for a super girl solo movie :wishluck:.)

Agreed. It was actually pretty good.  

A breakdown of the pluses and minuses as I saw things.

CGI - the movie looked like an animation-live action hybrid, the CGI was that bad.   If the Avatar can pull off flawless CGI for 3 hours plus, the other studio's have zero excuses.

-script - good, but the whole movie could have been avoided if the Flash had got his father to look up at the camera... wow, thats a Grand Canyon gaping whole.  

Actors - all of them are great, Ezra is very watchable.

Glaring omissions - you can get Nicholas Cage in there, but no Henry Cavill??   Did he shag some studio's exec's wife at a drunken party or something  (shrug)