• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,182 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2023 at 6:14 PM, Microchip said:

A breakdown of the pluses and minuses as I saw things.

CGI - the movie looked like an animation-live action hybrid, the CGI was that bad.   If the Avatar can pull off flawless CGI for 3 hours plus, the other studio's have zero excuses.

--script - good, but the whole movie could have been avoided if the Flash had got his father to look up at the camera... wow, thats a Grand Canyon gaping whole.  

Actors - all of them are great, Ezra is very watchable.

Glaring omissions - you can get Nicholas Cage in there, but no Henry Cavill??   Did he shag some studio's exec's wife at a drunken party or something  (shrug)

Flash's goal was to save his mom which would have saved his dad, but at the end he decided he could only save one.  I believe Cavill was in the movie, but only for a couple seconds.  

I still thought this was a very good movie.  Knowing that this movie is going to be on MAX in a couple months means I won't be going back to watch this at the movie theather.

• Administrator
On 6/20/2023 at 3:36 PM, Bosco685 said:
On 6/20/2023 at 3:07 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Made money...

Despite

• a horrific "B" CinemaScore
  • 69.1% 2nd weekend drop-off  -- each of these goes to poor audience Word of Mouth
  • Was critically reviled (29% positive on Rotten Tomatoes)
  • Finished well outside the top 5 domestic grossers of the year
  • Got stomped domestically by Deadpool

People got fired because of this film.

Expand  

You still instigating because I counter your PA campaign with facts? Oh well.

And yet people went back to the Ultimate Edition and realized what that 30 minutes meant to the story that were cut. But yes - even with all that WB executive tampering, it still made money. And on the Digital Copy side the results would be even bigger as it was the earliest event movie that retailers formed release campaigns around. Including Walmart.

No. 13 ‘Batman V. Superman’ Box Office Profits

BVS_BO.JPG.fc622bbdbb3b9f2a77c7a5659d396065.JPG

I don't know who is "in the right" but, I do know that there has been too much back and forth arguing between the 2 of you.  This happens in multiple threads.  It's getting to the point where I will do and enforce an ignore for both of you, start issuing multiple points, use the ban from topic , or use the ban from forum.  Possibly a combination.  I do not want to hear any BUT... from either of you publicly or privately, as it will be ignored.  I do know this is a final warning before I take serious action.

There are people here who wish to just talk about the movie, and not wade through tons of argumentative posts.  I highly recommend stopping this right now, or I will make it stop.  

On 6/20/2023 at 9:14 PM, Microchip said:

Glaring omissions - you can get Nicholas Cage in there, but no Henry Cavill??   Did he shag some studio's exec's wife at a drunken party or something  (shrug)

What I think was going on was this--

• Most of this movie was filmed when Cavill and the studio were on the outs.  Remember the big deal when the Rock brow-beat DC into bringing Cavill back for the Black Adam cameo?  (only to have that reunion fall apart shortly after Black Adam's release). 
  • The other CGI appearances alluded to were all Elseworlds versions (at least from this movie's perspective).  We didn't see Cavill in those Elseworlds shots for the same reason we didn't see Cyborg or Martian Manhunter from ZSJL.  Barry is seeing alternate realities at this point, not his own.
  • Supposedly there was an alternative ending scene shot more recently that included Cavill in the picture when Barry returned from his multiverse travels, but that scene wasn't used when it became clear Cavill would not be part of Gunn's universe going forward. No sense to (again!) tease something that won't come to fruition.  

On 6/21/2023 at 9:32 AM, Zonker said:

What I think was going on was this--

• Most of this movie was filmed when Cavill and the studio were on the outs.  Remember the big deal when the Rock brow-beat DC into bringing Cavill back for the Black Adam cameo?  (only to have that reunion fall apart shortly after Black Adam's release). 
  • Supposedly there was an alternative ending scene shot more recently that included Cavill in the picture when Barry returned from his multiverse travels, but that scene wasn't used when it became clear Cavill would not be part of Gunn's universe going forward. No sense to (again!) tease something that won't come to fruition.  

Cavill was already in the ending, yes, but he was also originally in the beginning in a non-faceless role. They didn't need to add him, they just needed to not remove him.

On 6/21/2023 at 11:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Cavill was already in the ending, yes, but he was also originally in the beginning in a non-faceless role. They didn't need to add him, they just needed to not remove him.

Thanks, I had not heard that part.  It does make one wonder why include

Spoiler

Gadot

but not Cavill.  Maybe still keeping their options open for that character?

On 6/21/2023 at 10:11 AM, Semicentennial said:

I was really hoping for a scene with the Crime Syndicate of America in one of those Elsewhere shots. 

That would have been cool, but I’m still happy with the fact that we got Jay Garrick and Doctor Fate in the same year…

On 6/21/2023 at 11:02 AM, Zonker said:

Thanks, I had not heard that part.  It does make one wonder why include

Hide contents

Gadot

but not Cavill.  Maybe still keeping their options open for that character?

I think we all know why Cavill wasn't included...

On 6/22/2023 at 8:09 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Deadline notes that, after 5 days, The Flash is sitting at $66.4 million -- 5% ahead of Green Lantern's take at the same point.

Is there any sort of adjustments being accounted for towards people who just aren't going to the theater to see movies? I mean, there was a Forbes article from last year stating 55% of people are more comfortable watching a movie at home - of which I am one of those people. I have a nice setup (as do a lot of people) and I simply stopped going to the movie theater years ago (Endgame was the last movie I saw in a theater), opting to wait. I don't care if Hollywood says "only in theaters!" - I can wait it out.

Green Lantern in 2011 didn't have the same streaming-friendly audience there is now. That movie apparently sucked hard - which brought it down. I don't feel the Flash has the same problem with the film, but it seems that there's a lot of people that will just wait for it to show up on HBO Max. My entire back-of-the-house staff are bigtime nerds, and not a single one is going to see The Flash at a theater. They also felt the same way about other movies that have come out over the years.

The only variable I have seen with the people I know is that when they go out of town, they might go see a movie in Imax or something like that - kinda like an 'entertainment' expense when you are on a little vacation.

Personally, if they simultaneously released a movie and charged $40 for it to stream - I'd pay it. But, I may be in the minority. We live nearly an hour away from the movie theater - if we want to see a movie, it's a time commitment that we generally don't want to make.

On 6/22/2023 at 12:19 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Is there any sort of adjustments being accounted for towards people who just aren't going to the theater to see movies? I mean, there was a Forbes article from last year stating 55% of people are more comfortable watching a movie at home - of which I am one of those people. I have a nice setup (as do a lot of people) and I simply stopped going to the movie theater years ago (Endgame was the last movie I saw in a theater), opting to wait. I don't care if Hollywood says "only in theaters!" - I can wait it out.

I mean, that should be adjusted for at the budget level.

On 6/22/2023 at 11:01 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I mean, that should be adjusted for at the budget level.

That's a great point.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:11 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That's a great point.

It's gonna be 'fun' to see what Gunn gives himself & crew for Superman: Legacy. Anyone wanna try to convince me that it deserves more than $75 MM when DC Films haven't hit the black since 2018?

On 6/22/2023 at 11:21 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's gonna be 'fun' to see what Gunn gives himself & crew for Superman: Legacy. Anyone wanna try to convince me that it deserves more than $75 MM when DC Films haven't hit the black since 2018?

Can you imagine a $75M budget? It's too bad they ghosted Grant Gustin, he'd be coming in handy on a budget like that.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:26 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Can you imagine a $75M budget? It's too bad they ghosted Grant Gustin, he'd be coming in handy on a budget like that.

Gunn could attempt to sell some ads, the way MoS subsidized 2/3 of its own budget.

Grant Gustin ain't gonna be a movie star, stop trying to make it happen. :sumo:

On 6/22/2023 at 1:21 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

75?  That's all you think Superman deserves?