• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCH, Pedigrees, Census

52 posts in this topic

Don and Maggie had a few:

a VERY few.

I wonder if they bought these off the stands? Don, at least, would have been old enough to.

http://www.comic-con.org/toucan/maggie-thompson-four-color-life-part-one

In that article, Maggie claims she bought Mad #9 off the newsstand...that was cover dated March 1954. So, she certainly could have bought the Crypt #44 of the stands, 'cause that was 7 months later. Billy's book, I'm not so sure about :baiting::grin:

Don was significantly older so I think he would have been a teenager in the early 1950s, iirc.

Here's one of the low grade Churches, but it's mine! :cloud9:

Unseen9CGC5.0ChurchCopy.jpg

I love that book Jay. I have the River City. What is it about the tombstone that makes it the preferred spot for date stamps and codes?

unseen9.jpg

I also love this book. The Northford (I believe)

161558.jpg.a472099d955025d6f3be1d6f8a392b3e.jpg

Is there any way to tell from the census which issues are pedigrees vs which ones are not?

I don't know of any.

Is the Crowley pedigree and the "Harvey File Copy" pedigree the same thing? I see GA books being called Crowley and PCH Harveys called file copies, but I'm confused as to whether they are the same "find" or two separate collections.
Crowley was a Fawcett editor. He received a single copy of many comics produced by other companies and two each of most everything Fawcett produced.

Harvey File Copies were saved by that company in a warehouse and included art, publishing related materials and several copies of many of the books they published.

When CGC uses the term "File Copy" it means it was saved by a comic book publisher (or one of it's employees) for work purposes and usually consists of books only of that publisher.

Fawcett also had File Copies. Recently saw an example of the Fawcett File Copy of This Magazine is Haunted 7 (I have the Crowley Copy) here on the boards. I'm curious to know who kept the File Copies at Fawcett? Did Crowley himself have anything to do with the File Copies?

Crowley's file copies were taken by him and later sold by his family/heirs. Fawcett separately had other file copies saved, though whether he had any involvement I don't know.

Thanks. Any idea how extensive the File Copy collection is?

FWIW, since I've been helping Rob with Church listing, here are Chuck's listing for those Church PCH posted:

Ghost # 1 NM+ $12 became CGC 9.2

Journey into Fear # 10 NM $4 became CGC 8.5

Unseen # 9 FN $3 became CGC 5.0

Weird Thrillers # 5 VG $3 became CGC 9.4 ??? Must be an error #s 3 & 4 were listed as NM for ... $5 :tonofbricks:

We could dream but here's the entire listing for Ghost -

ghost 1 NM+ $12.00

ghost 2 NM+ $8.00

ghost 3 NM+ $8.00

ghost 4 NM+ $8.00

ghost 5 NM+ $8.00

ghost 6 FN $4.00

ghost 9 NM+ $8.00

ghost 10 VG $4.00

Thanks for the info-that's a huge help especially for the Crowley/Harvey issue. I'd like to get at least one PCH book from each pedigree, and I'm trying to set a baseline/get a list together of what I need to meet that goal. I was hoping for some way of tracking peds in the census, but it looks like that isn't an option-fine by me, since I love the challenge!

I am also amazed when a non-pedigree shows up that is in better shape that pedigree copies of the same issue.

Also challenging is the wide range of grades for books in the same pedigree-Gaines books seem to all be consistent, but then that was a unique situation; most other file copies weren't saved with such care.

Looks like it's time to start a spreadsheet and research the Heritage archive....

Depending on the definition of "pre-code horror" you can add to the list. For example, there is a Carson City of Monster Crime 1 (used to be owned by Weird Paper) and there is a New Hampshire copy or two of Ghost Rider. Those books fall into a gray area and are usually not considered PCH.

The New Hampshires had a few non-westerns in there. I have an issue of Astonishing from that collection, but it's post-code. I talked to Jim P. about it and he said there were more than a handful of non-westerns .

Here's one of the low grade Churches, but it's mine! :cloud9:

Unseen9CGC5.0ChurchCopy.jpg

I love that book Jay. I have the River City. What is it about the tombstone that makes it the preferred spot for date stamps and codes?

unseen9.jpg

I also love this book. The Northford (I believe)

161558.jpg

Most Northfords (if not all) have this little blue "X in a circle" stamp on the back like pictured here on the back of my Mystery tales 19. If yours has this type of stamp it most likely is a Northford. :gossip:

MysteryTales19Back_zps1c032269.jpg

Jay - yeah, I was posting from an old scan - I'll have to dig it out. Can't remember what Metro called it when I bought it. River City, maybe. I really should write this stuff down.

weirdthrillers5.jpg

Edgar was on his game with this one!

He was on fire!

Don and Maggie had a few:

tftc44_dm_f.jpg

a VERY few.

tc27.jpg

I wonder if they bought these off the stands? Don, at least, would have been old enough to.

Don wrote an article in "The Comic Book Book" about EC, and he did buy them when they were new. However, he lamented that his copies were very well read, so these may be upgrades.