• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics for college!

64 posts in this topic

I counted a while back, and a long box, newer style that is not real thick on the ends, holds 353 comics, 2 per bag and board. So, if you left out all the boards, which would be 176, you would have room for maybe another 75 or so?

University of California tuition is a bit over $12K a year for an in-stater.

In New York, the City University and State University of New York are about $7K a year, for an in stater.

Judging from what is shown in the picture, U. Cal is going to be tough. Move to upstate NY and go to a SUNY. The comics might pay for a year or two of tution.

I'm hoping for him that when he was buying comics new off the rack in the 70s he was buying a few SA keys on the cheap too...

Or hold off on college this year, wait until Bernie gets elected, and then I'm sure it will all be free. Maybe even get paid $15 an hour to go to college and get free tuition.

In New York, the City University and State University of New York are about $7K a year, for an in stater.

Judging from what is shown in the picture, U. Cal is going to be tough. Move to upstate NY and go to a SUNY. The comics might pay for a year or two of tution.

His daughter is clearly a good student (she graduated from high school early) and is on her way to Fisk University in TN in the fall. Tuition there is considerably more than the state schools you mention:

http://www.fisk.edu/admissions/tuition-fees

She'll no doubt be eligible for some scholarship and grant money, etc., all of which I'm guessing could add up to a lot more than what her dad might get for the comics...

His daughter is clearly a good student (she graduated from high school early) and is on her way to Fisk University in TN in the fall. Tuition there is considerably more than the state schools you mention:

She'll no doubt be eligible for some scholarship and grant money, etc., all of which I'm guessing could add up to a lot more than what her dad might get for the comics...

Possibly. We have no idea what her folks make.

I cannot speak for fisk, but small private schools do not necessarily hand out a lot of money. a paralegal in my office --- a single mother with two kids -- who makes about $60K a year sent her daughter to hampton university and she barely got any assistance at all with the $36K tab, which, frankly, I found shocking. She took out loans.

Frankly, many of these non-elite private schools don't make a lot of sense financially vs. state schools unless there is a specific program (usually in health). But people still go to them.

anyway, whatever, i'm selling off my comics now to keep my kids fed and housed. there probably won't be anything left by the time the oldest goes to college.

Possibly. We have no idea what her folks make.

I cannot speak for fisk, but small private schools do not necessarily hand out a lot of money. a paralegal in my office --- a single mother with two kids -- who makes about $60K a year sent her daughter to hampton university and she barely got any assistance at all with the $36K tab, which, frankly, I found shocking. She took out loans.

Frankly, many of these non-elite private schools don't make a lot of sense financially vs. state schools unless there is a specific program (usually in health). But people still go to them.

I got a scholarship of 14k off per year, and an extra 1k off, all because I transferred to my university from Community College. This was all given to me by the school because of the agreement they had when students transferred there.

Compared to how much it would cost me to attend a state college (12k-15k), I found out that with commute cost(gas tolls) etc. the cost different wasn't big enough to make it worth it. So private colleges can make some sense.

Her father is sacrificing something he loves to help his daughter.

The rest is just noise.

Nothing wrong with the gesture, but its not news, and it certainly isn't well-reported news. Everyday most (although not enough) parents (and other family members) make all kinds of sacrifices to provide for their kids, or for the underprivileged.

Not that it doesn't make sense to have a comic related human interest piece the week of your local comic con, it certainly does. But what reporter doesn't ask about his favorite or most valuable comic (and research the value), or his favorite character, or how long he's been collecting, or bother to ask about or look up the tuition of the school? Or would use the word 'mint' when things obviously aren't. I don't think a reporter would go out of his way to use the word 'mint', which probably means it was provided by the father, which probably means he's in for a shock of shocks.

Of COURSE you don't expect non-comic people to understand even the basics of comics, but you SHOULD expect your reporters to do even a modicum of research so they don't look like A-holes to every comic-fan visiting your city.

If they were mint, the more he handles them like that they will be lucky to get a FN- grade. Watch the video if you haven't.

As someone mentioned-- the way he handles those books shows he has very little collecting experience. He makes a big deal that they were put into "plastic" I saw tons of them that were not even in bags. There were plenty of Silver Age books though so it is possible that he has some decent books there. I just wish he would get on the internet and learn how to preserve and handle a comic book.

My guess is he collected books in the 1970s and into the early 1980s then stopped. Not just stopped buying-- stopped taking care of the collection.

Yeah-- great that he cares about his daughter (who doesn't?). But it is stories like this that put so much incorrect information out to the general public who didn't care much in the first place unless they happen to have a box of old books laying around.

Whew! Now we can get back to tearing this poor shmoe a new one.

Here's video of some of his collection.

http://www.king5.com/features/comic-collector-looks-to-unleash-them-from-his-web/122886715

I feel sorry for the guy. But I don't get how you can collect comics and not know how to care for them, or even not know how to grade them. There are too many folks out there that think comics will make them rich.

Hope he claims his big windfall to the IRS since they now have him on the watch list. Oh never mind - he doesn't pay taxes because he is . . .you know.

(shrug)

hm

:eek:

:o

:P

I paid for my daughter's private elementary and middle school tuition (nearly $60k total) for 11 years by selling my personal collection of thousands of books (accumulated over the course of 25 years) on eBay, to local dealers, and eventually here on the boards.

This included ALL of the SA Marvel keys; at least four full magazine boxes of prime Golden Age DC, Timely, Fawcett, and Quality titles (including several keys); EC horror and SF books; '50s Atlas PCH; pre-hero Marvels; early SA Marvels; a complete run of ASM through #74 or so..and that was just the bigger stuff.

I also bulked out countless boxes of moderns and random SA/BA/CA books & complete runs, and turned over several collections which I found in the wild.

I'm not patting myself on the back: I did what I needed and wanted to do, and have no regrets.

What bugs me about this silly and poorly researched story is that (as we all know), making money by selling comics--by which I mean fairly common books from all eras; NOT a stash of GA keys--is not even remotely as easy as walking into a convention, collecting business cards, closing a deal with the highest bidder, and then walking out with several hundred thousand dollars in cold, hard cash. And it most certainly doesn't work that way for 10 boxes of dirt-common '70s and '80s books!

The real sacrifice in my case wasn't the books -- it was the time involved in selling them.

Listing, negotiating, invoicing, packaging (oh, the packaging!), shipping...trips back and forth to the Post Office on a daily basis...money out for packing supplies...dealing with returns/damages/lost packages...and all the other headaches and hassles that go along with running what amounts to a small business -- it was all another full-time job on top of the one I already had, and I don't miss it a bit!

Of course, we all know this. But most of the people who read these vapid, irresponsible stories don't. And thus the same old get-rich-quick folktales (invest! speculate! make big money in collectibles in your spare time!) gain new currency.

It's...irritating.

END of… rantrant:grin:

:golfclap:

This is so true. I have been wanting to just sell off a little of my collection but the time and energy is too great for me at the moment. Congrats on sustaining it for so long. I used to be much more active collecting and selling, etc. I just don't have an immediate need to sell to motivate me, I guess.

I just sold my favorite car and 1/2 of my mego collection is going to hakes for auction bc I have 2 kids in college now and a third starting in a few months. This is a sacrifice many parents make, but it's not newsworthy.

As parents, children should be our first priority. I'd sell my comics for my daughter if I had to. But I'm more realistic about what I can expect for my collection. Years ago, people began talking about sending their kids to college by speculating in comics. Today, they still do. The myth continues (unless you happen to have an Action #1). The news media perpetuates that myth.

I just sold my favorite car and 1/2 of my mego collection is going to hakes for auction bc I have 2 kids in college now and a third starting in a few months. This is a sacrifice many parents make, but it's not newsworthy.

I have a 33 year old son that is a college professor, finally.....

I sold most of the good stuff so that he could be the professor. Regrets ?

Sure, but who doesn't. Life moves on. Too bad my stamp collection isn't

worth squat. Maybe I'll play with it for a while longer.