• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All-Star 8 value?

27 posts in this topic

I never liked the "Poor" designation for books that are incomplete, especially if they are otherwise in fairly decent shape. There is a world of difference between a brittle, taped up book with pieces out of the cover, and a VG looking book with decent pages, missing the centerfold. The first is certainly in "poor" condition, the second is incomplete, but condition can be variable. Slabbed, such books are probably best represented by a Q grade, and it would probably be helpful if there was a big INC under the number, so it was immediately visible why there was a qualification.

I never liked the "Poor" designation for books that are incomplete, especially if they are otherwise in fairly decent shape. There is a world of difference between a brittle, taped up book with pieces out of the cover, and a VG looking book with decent pages, missing the centerfold. The first is certainly in "poor" condition, the second is incomplete, but condition can be variable. Slabbed, such books are probably best represented by a Q grade, and it would probably be helpful if there was a big INC under the number, so it was immediately visible why there was a qualification.

Qualified books are ridiculous attempts to chase numbers on the label. Plenty of comics would be a higher grade if not for a particular defect. Unfortunately, the defect is there, and the grade is the grade, so you may as well just own it. I'd much rather have a nice presenting Poor than a kinda-Fine-ish-if-only...

the other day I saw about 8 of these babies for sale on Ebay. Maybe one was unrestored?

6 are up right now. 4 unrestored, 2 restored.

Lowest price of all 6 is $38,980 for a 2.0 Blue.

This is a pricey comic.

My hopes of finding an affordable CF are fading

I for one am in favor of qualified grades. Pre-CGC we would grade books with the obvious defect o/w what ever it appeared to be. It seems a shame to grade a beautiful book poor because of say a missing page. It is significant and should be priced accordingly because of the defect. If you are going to keep it in a slab anyway you will never know about the internal defect.

A perfect example is this book with some of the whitest pages I've ever seen on a GA comic. I bought a large collection out of AZ many years ago all the same defect and most in nose bleed grades otherwise. I have never regretted the purchase!

By, the way, I'd buy these in poor prices all day long and twice on Sunday!

comflash100a_zpsgosf48lq.jpg

I for one am in favor of qualified grades. Pre-CGC we would grade books with the obvious defect o/w what ever it appeared to be. It seems a shame to grade a beautiful book poor because of say a missing page. It is significant and should be priced accordingly because of the defect. If you are going to keep it in a slab anyway you will never know about the internal defect.

A perfect example is this book with some of the whitest pages I've ever seen on a GA comic. I bought a large collection out of AZ many years ago all the same defect and most in nose bleed grades otherwise. I have never regretted the purchase!

By, the way, I'd buy these in poor prices all day long and twice on Sunday!

comflash100a_zpsgosf48lq.jpg

I see the defect: Hawkman's right foot is missing!