• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbing low-grade no-show cover keys.

11 posts in this topic

As more and more GA and earlier SA key books cross the four and five figure thresh holds even for a very low grade copy, they seem more likely than ever before to wind up in slabs, either to sell, for quick liquidation in the future, or just for a uniformity to one's collection.

One of the effects of the current key mania the hobby seems to be in, is that comics that in the past perhaps had less demand due to lack of a cover appearance by a debuting character have also increased dramatically in value, books like All-Star #8, Detective #225 and Strange Tales #110 come to mind.

Simultaneously, the demand for classic cover books, especially from the 40's and 50's is also pushing prices ever higher. These books are still easily enjoyed for their covers while sitting in a slab, and truthfully many collectors aren't even all that interested in what's inside many classic cover books. This section of the market seems a natural for slabbing. On the other hand, slabbing a no-show cover key, particularly in lower grade, seems counter-intuitive. The only thing about the book that makes in valuable becomes unaccessible.

Now, I understand that once purchased a slabbed copy can be cracked out, and that there are also plenty of reprint options available to read the key stories inside, and that much of the collecting community still recognizes the covers of these books without being told what the importance is, so the covers, no matter how bland, gain a certain iconographic value anyway, but does it seem odd to anyone but me, to keep a lower grade copy of a book like this entombed?

Simultaneously, the demand for classic cover books, especially from the 40's and 50's is also pushing prices ever higher.

Is this actually happening?

Batman 20 comes to mind...

What a great cover... it commands a premium just because of the cover...

I would think that Superman 14 also qualifies as a book that is valuable simply because of the cover.

Simultaneously, the demand for classic cover books, especially from the 40's and 50's is also pushing prices ever higher.

Absolutely. For some books it's a slow methodical rise that eventually pulls them into higher and higher multiples of surrounding issues, and for others it can be an explosive run up followed by a plateau period, but generally recognized classic covers from all genres tend to outperform the hobby as whole.

Agree with the OP,

However, the cow left the barn, with the inception of CGC, or any third party greading company, coupled with the internet, to create a perfect storm, of a "vaild and respected hobby" that sustains value and liquidity.

Adding fuel enters the big auction house, that legit the hobby,

I personally have many of my lower, mid and even high grade books, cracked out of the slab with the label, I enjoy the smell and early artwork, and corny story telling, whenever I can, truthfully it holds my interest for only a few minutes, not like when I was 10 years old,

as a buyer, I do not feel comfortable buying any raw book over 2,000 as the risk of reselling it, is too high,

Batman 20 comes to mind...

What a great cover... it commands a premium just because of the cover...

I would think that Superman 14 also qualifies as a book that is valuable simply because of the cover.

Suspense 3 may be the king here. Or Detective 31.

I'd think the percentage of people who buy a book like Strange Tales 110 to read the stories is pretty low.

True, but really theres not much reason to spend a few bucks on any comic just to read it. I'm thinking more about the aesthetic appreciation. Most of the earlier Marvel keys, one can take out the slab, look at the cover and get a warm fuzzy feeling seeing the hero boldly dominating the cover of his first appearance. The joy of ownership isn't really going to depend on opening it up to read an origin story one likely has available elsewhere. Strange Tales #110, it's more like "I can't see him, but I know he's hiding in there somewhere, and if I didn't have this book in a slab, I could flip it open and find him."