• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Standards?

27 posts in this topic

There's certainly a lot of anecdotal evidence to support the notion that CGC has tightened their grading up recently.

For instance, I recently resubmitted a book. The original grade was 9.4. I cracked the slab and had the book professionally pressed and cleaned and resubmitted it.

Originally the book was graded a 9.4 and listed three defects in the grader's notes.

The resub came back with only a single defect listed in the grader's notes--but now was graded only a 9.2. So apparently the book improved, but its grade went down.

Your miles may vary.

Simply ask them to correct the error.

I did not know that was possible. Thank you. I will email CGC now.

I find it hard to believe they are doing this second opinion thing very often. hm

There's certainly a lot of anecdotal evidence to support the notion that CGC has tightened their grading up recently.

For instance, I recently resubmitted a book. The original grade was 9.4. I cracked the slab and had the book professionally pressed and cleaned and resubmitted it.

Originally the book was graded a 9.4 and listed three defects in the grader's notes.

The resub came back with only a single defect listed in the grader's notes--but now was graded only a 9.2. So apparently the book improved, but its grade went down.

Your miles may vary.

Simply ask them to correct the error.

I did not know that was possible. Thank you. I will email CGC now.

I find it hard to believe they are doing this second opinion thing very often. hm

Me too!

Blowie was being tongue-in-cheek. It is nothing short of shocking that making a stink about a grade or two in a well discussed thread leads to a free re-grading and a new and far more favorable opinion. It's happened at least a few times here already, and books have even changed label colors because of it.

It seems the 'well discussed thread' part is important.

That was my initial guess when I got my last batch back, that it was a first timer or something. I keep looking them over and cant shake the feeling some are way way off. I'm gonna break down and crack a couple open and resend them with my next batch to see.

When I'm looking at a 7 that looks exactly like a 9.4 it tends to bother me. After over 200 submissions this was the first time I absolutely felt something was wrong, upsetting considering how long I waited and the money I spent.

If you're looking at a book in a CGC 7.0 slab and it looks like a 9.4, it's far, far, far more likely that there's a significant yet not very visible defect you're missing than that CGC got it wrong. The usual culprits are stains or long non-color breaking creases that are only visible when you angle the book UNDER THE LIGHT.

Fixed for you. (thumbs u

While I respect the various opinions, I've collected books for 33 years and it wasn't until after 200 submissions that I received an order back I really thought was an issue.

Perhaps I should have clarified a few things considering the tone of some responses:

a) I wasn't talking about just one or two books, it was a large shipment.

b) sure, maybe I missed one of the type of defects mentioned but I didnt miss it on 12 books. And btw I do know to look at it at angles, etc etc so I resent the insinuation I'm just some ignorant comic mark.

c) I am not talking about a .2 or even a 1.0 difference, I know pretty well what a 6 to 7 looks like, it sure doesn't look like a 9 no matter what. I didnt miss some have torn page, nor was any major

noted.

d) Speaking of which, since no stains or whatever Im supposedly to ignorant to discover myself were noted, I'll have to politely respond in the negative there.

I was very interested in hearing others views originally until I actually did. I may have missed looking at something at an angle but I do know how to read grader notes, and certainly know what flaws are big enough to send a book down to a 6.0 so save the elitist attitudes.

Elitist attitudes ? You come on here implying something is wrong with CGC, something was wrong with your order. Without seeing your books, what kind of response did you expect ? Nearly all of us has experienced grades we were disappointed with and folks responded from their personal experiences on what you may have missed. If you think something is wrong with your grades then you should call CGC. We can't help you. Sorry.