• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question of....etiquette?

83 posts in this topic

Unless you specifically requested and received some sort of confirmation that the dealer grades would comport with CGC grades, I do not believe that you have a beef. You had the opportunity to review the books, and you agreed to pay what was asked based upon what was before you.

I am sorry for your negative experience, but that is how I see it.

+1 You plays the game, you takes your chances.

What if they had come back with higher grades than the dealer had on them. Would you be looking to give him some extra money?

Good point.

Tons of threads about how maybe people should probably stick to fine to nm mindsets instead of being specific. Any dealer who grades as good as cgc would probably be working for them yeah?

Going through my own books now trying to find stuff to submit and all I can do is cross my fingers. What looks flawless to me could be chock full of defects under the strict guidelines. I don't have the equipment or skill to grade at that level. I doubt anyone at a Con does either. Just skill and experience. Trust who you will

No.

....and

No.

Tons of threads about how maybe people should probably stick to fine to nm mindsets instead of being specific. Any dealer who grades as good as cgc would probably be working for them yeah?

If they can grade as good as CGC, they can make more money buying and selling than they can working for CGC.

Going through my own books now trying to find stuff to submit and all I can do is cross my fingers. What looks flawless to me could be chock full of defects under the strict guidelines. I don't have the equipment or skill to grade at that level. I doubt anyone at a Con does either. Just skill and experience. Trust who you will

Sung to the tune of George Micheal's 'I Want Your Sex'

There's grades that you guess

And grades that you know

There's dealers you can trust

And dealers that you don't

There's little tics that hide

And production flaws that you show

Sometimes you think it's a 9.8

But it's not and that's just the way it goes

I'll chalk it up as an expensive lesson learned, be more critical of raw books regardless of the seller and move on.

Sadly, this is probably the only thing for you now.

Having the chance to view them before you bought them was when you should have graded them yourself and figured if it was all worthwhile.

Some dealers don't send many of their books to CGC, for one of two reasons. 1. Cost 2. Their raw grade is higher than what CGC would grade it. 2c

My first thought was that if you looked at them your self and you were happy with the grades and the price and bought them, it's on you. Looks like the majority agrees with me.

If you want to swim in the deep end and pay up for high grade books, you really need to grade up to CGC standards or buy them slabbed. You gamble or don't know how to grade you might lose and have to chalk it up to a lesson.

Myself, I have a really hard time with the 9.2 and above grades. Then again that is not generally in my wheel house. I have asked several big well know dealers if they can tell the difference between say a 9.4 and a 9.6 and most of them really can't so I don't feel so bad. They mostly say "that is what CGC is for".

I'd mention it to the dealer. Do it quietly and not in a confrontational manner and perhaps he will give you a break on a future purchase. As it stands now, he's lost you as a future customer so letting him know what happened might result in a win for both of you. You get a discounted book and he regains a customer. Guys that drop that kind of coin at a show are worth trying to keep., imho.

I'd mention it to the dealer. Do it quietly and not in a confrontational manner and perhaps he will give you a break on a future purchase. As it stands now, he's lost you as a future customer so letting him know what happened might result in a win for both of you. You get a discounted book and he regains a customer. Guys that drop that kind of coin at a show are worth trying to keep., imho.

This.

If they can grade as good as CGC, they can make more money buying and selling than they can working for CGC.

Sung to the tune of George Micheal's 'I Want Your Sex'

There's grades that you guess

And grades that you know

There's dealers you can trust

And dealers that you don't

There's little tics that hide

And production flaws that you show

Sometimes you think it's a 9.8

But it's not and that's just the way it goes

Didn't think about it that way, Chuck. Good point, they probably could make a lot more money.

As for the song, spot on lol

I've been CAK'ed. Why don't the people I want to ignore me don't?

As for equipment, there are lights and stuff they use to detect things better? I'd like to say UV but I can only speculate because I haven't researched the subject to any depth. Just thinking aloud. My statement was not to detract from any dealers who definitely know their grading. How many books have I scanned to have my peers give me subjective advice on? Quite a few. I value everyone's input. Just stating that standing there, Looking at a book, it's all subjective. You submit, pow, there is the grade, professionally done and paid for. The end.

Let's go get laid.

Make certain to check over the graders notes to see if there was something that was either missed when you viewed them last or maybe something that was hammered harder by CGC than what you may have thought was warranted.

I know one local buyer who sent a batch of GA books in and they all received a purple label. He went back to the dealer 6-8 months later and demanded his money back. If he didn't comply, he would bad mouth the dealer all over town. The dealer ended up giving him a full refund. However, I really felt bad for the dealer. He had no idea they were restored, it was 6-8 months after the fact and that's part of the risk of when buying raw books unless something is agreed upon up front.

I know one local buyer who sent a batch of GA books in and they all received a purple label. He went back to the dealer 6-8 months later and demanded his money back. If he didn't comply, he would bad mouth the dealer all over town. The dealer ended up giving him a full refund. However, I really felt bad for the dealer. He had no idea they were restored, it was 6-8 months after the fact and that's part of the risk of when buying raw books unless something is agreed upon up front.

Resto is an entirely different animal

Adding to the general consensus, if you have the book in hand, you have to assign your own grade and determine what the value is, regardless of what the seller is saying. Unless it's a slabbed book, I don't ask a seller what grade a book is. I just ask to look at it, and I decide for myself what the grade is. If my grade happens to coincide with what the seller is claiming, so much the better, as it makes it easier to agree on a price.

But if you're buying with a specific grade in mind, you really should just buy slabs upfront. The convenience of getting what you want in the form of a graded book comes with an exorbitant price, true. But that price, to me at least, is easily justified by the potential pitfalls of playing the raw book lottery (searching for the right raw copy, possibly having it pressed, paying to submit, waiting for it to come back, etc.)

Either way, it couldn't help to very politely mention your disappointment to the seller, as they may want to reevaluate their grading. Probably won't get you anywhere, but if you're cool about it, there's no harm that I can see, and some possible upside.

Hi everyone, looking for some advice on a couple raw books I purchased from a dealer at WW Chicago 2015. These just got the shipped/safe status update from CGC and are coming back well under the estimated raw grade from the seller. Books in question are an Iron Man 55 sold to me as a 9.2 raw, graded by CGC as an 8.0 and a Showcase 55 sold to me as a 9.2, graded by CGC an 8.5. Comic prices being what they are today, I paid 9.2+ prices for both books, to the tune of over $2500. That being said, these are worth no where near what I paid. What I am asking is, is that the breaks with comics? Win some/lose some? Or would you approach the seller and ask for some sort of recompense? Any advice is appreciated as always.

If you bought them from me and the grades were that far off you would simply give me call and I would refund not only your sale cost but also your grading and shipping costs. I wouldn't want you to be out of pocket or unhappy at all. That's how we do it at Bedrock City.

But you didn't buy those from me, so I guess you should call the other guy and see how they handle it.