• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My wife had to sell my ASM collection off to bail me out of jail!

183 posts in this topic

I've had cops say 'hey you! Stop!' and I kept walking cause I didn't know they were talking to me.

Wow talk about living on the wild side of life.

:gossip: His roundhouse kicks are registered as lethal weapons of mass destruction. He had nothing to fear.

Ok, here is a question for those with a law degree from Wikipedia University. You are walking down the street, 100% innocent, and the Police pull up and tell you to face wall and about to handcuff you.

Should you resist? Can you?

What if unknown to you a robbery just occurred and its your bad luck that you match the description of suspect. How do you think resisting will turn out? Is being handcuffed by itself an arrest? I will give you a hint.... Not necessarily. I would be careful advocating resisting police.

I've been handcuffed and not arrested. It was AWESOME!

I have to. I'm sure many have. Be calm, follow directions, be polite and respectful, try to see things from their perspective. Not that the cops are perfect because they're not, but give them a reason to be act the right way, rather than an excuse to act the wrong way.

I've had cops say 'hey you! Stop!' and I kept walking cause I didn't know they were talking to me.

Wow talk about living on the wild side of life.

:gossip: His roundhouse kicks are registered as lethal weapons of mass destruction. He had nothing to fear.

cops don't bother me much with their puny guns

Ok, here is a question for those with a law degree from Wikipedia University. You are walking down the street, 100% innocent, and the Police pull up and tell you to face wall and about to handcuff you.

What if unknown to you a robbery just occurred and its your bad luck that you match the description of suspect. How do you think resisting will turn out? Is being handcuffed by itself an arrest? I will give you a hint.... Not necessarily. I would be careful advocating resisting police.

I have to. I'm sure many have. Be calm, follow directions, be polite and respectful, try to see things from their perspective. Not that the cops are perfect because they're not, but give them a reason to be act the right way, rather than an excuse to act the wrong way.

Oh man, a cop? It wasn't a cop with me. ^^

Every time a cop has put cuffs on me I ended up in jail.

Lawfully resisting arrest is this:

Once cuffed you may inform the officer that you do not believe the arrest is lawful and ask that it be explained to you. If they can not then you have grounds for a civil suit.

No one should ever fight the cuffs or try to make a run for it.

Sigh..... This is still not entirely accurate. There are many factors determining when and what time period this must be done in. However it is certainly the best practice to do so.

Next you guys are going to tell me you think the cops have to read you your Miranda Rights when being arrested. :ohnoez:

Next theyre gonna tell you prosecutor cant use anything you said to the cops in court if your miranda rights were never read to you at all.

I got the full treatment. Multiple cops pulled their guns, I put my hands up, put one hand down at a time behind my back for cuffing. Racial profiling, asked me 'where I was from' repeatedly, asked about violent ex girlfriends, asked me which car was mine (though when I pointed it out they had no interest), took my wallet and DL, detained for about 15 minutes in cuffs sitting on the curb. After I answered their questions, I was able to chat with them about why I was detained. They said someone matching my description was involved in a shooting that night. To be fair I actually heard the shots about 10 minutes before I left the pool hall. I said "Stunningly handsome man in a green jacket?" They told me get a haircut and let me go (my hair was long and glorious at the time).

I checked the newspaper the next day. A guy matching my height, build, age (within 3 years) and race and facial hair was shot by his ex girlfriend like a block away from where I was the night before. He was wounded and shot back at that time then ran away.

I'm glad they let me go, but I can see how things might have gone the wrong way if I acted a bit differently or had the wrong cops there.

Being a cop is crazy.

I got the full treatment. Multiple cops pulled their guns, I put my hands up, put one hand down at a time behind my back for cuffing. Racial profiling, asked me 'where I was from' repeatedly, asked about violent ex girlfriends, asked me which car was mine (though when I pointed it out they had no interest), took my wallet and DL, detained for about 15 minutes in cuffs sitting on the curb. After I answered their questions, I was able to chat with them about why I was detained. They said someone matching my description was involved in a shooting that night. To be fair I actually heard the shots about 10 minutes before I left the pool hall. I said "Stunningly handsome man in a green jacket?" They told me get a haircut and let me go (my hair was long and glorious at the time).

I checked the newspaper the next day. A guy matching my height, build, age (within 3 years) and race and facial hair was shot by his ex girlfriend like a block away from where I was the night before. He was wounded and shot back at that time then ran away.

I'm glad they let me go, but I can see how things might have gone the wrong way if I acted a bit differently or had the wrong cops there.

Being a cop is crazy.

Based on your own statement they had more than enough reason to stop you. How would that be racial profiling? Racial profiling would be if they stopped you for no other reason other than your race. (shrug)

I previously represented a kid who was charged with attempted murder and a slew of other charges. I met him at the station shortly after he was arrested and he immediately declared "I'm innocent!" Like you said, the first thought that popped into my head was "yeah, yeah, everyone is innocent. :eyeroll: " but ultimately - he was! I'm talking about a 19 year old kid that was never arrested and never in trouble before. He was charged with attempted murder and accused of strangling his girlfriend and a few other felonies.

How do I know he's innocent? She admitted it on the stand after cross-examination and became a hostile witness.

Turns out that the two of them were out with friends the night before. He got some texts from another girl that the girlfriend didn't like so the next morning, they began to verbally yell at each other in his mother's apt. She began to smash things and scream because she was so angry. They both pushed each other, but nothing more. But I'm sure from the other apts, her angrily screaming sounded terrible so they had called police. When police arrived, they spoke with the two of them separately. She decided to teach him a lesson and made up the strangulation story. That he came up from behind and strangled her. The truth is after their heated argument, she went into the bathroom and was upset so my client went in to console her and hugged her telling her everything will be ok. Out of anger, she BIT HIM in his chest taking some skin with her so he couldn't be behind her! He pushed her off and police arrived. Ultimately the charges were dismissed, but it took her getting on the stand and admitting on cross that she lied. It came out very angrily and she had some choice words for me. After a brief recess, the ADA dismissed the charges. Nothing ever happened to her. meh

People can say whatever they want and police have to make a judgment call. Sometimes they get it wrong and it's a terrible mistake.

Imagine never being arrested or in trouble your entire life and you get into an argument with your girlfriend that results in an attempted murder charge and being locked up for a few weeks. :ohnoez:

Cases like this, albeit not this serious of accusations, happen all the time in court. Never underestimate the value of a good defense lawyer. ;)

That's horrible Harvey. (I studied criminal law in Jr and High School and 1.5 years in college.) I saw the horrors of what jilted women can do early on, so I made sure I got married to a good woman (almost 20 yrs now). Also, made sure of who my friends were and who I associated with.

bluerosekiller,

I am so sorry, and sad, that you had to go through this. I have been on the bad end of friends before, but nothing to this extreme. I wish you the best in your life going forward.

Also, if you are still into reading Spiderman and would like some trade paperbacks, let me know and I will see what I can do.

I've been cuffed twice-- the first time in the early 1990s when I was mistaken for someone else with warrant for arrest during a traffic stop. I was released. It took about 20 minutes. I simply complied with whatever the officer asked, knowing full well I had done nothing to deserve it.

The other time-- I did deserve it. I was in Vegas and blacked out at some point in the night. Woke up in some managers office at the Palms with my hands tied behind my back and the entire contents of my wallet spread out on a desk in front of me. I had no idea what I had done. The police came and took off the restraints (tie wraps) and put me very forcefully in cuffs. They were tight and cut off the circulation to my hands (hands were numb for weeks after this). They took me to the station, did the finger prints (digital-- it was kind of interesting actually), took my picture, put me in another set of cuffs that had canvas bags over the hands and placed me on a bench near the door. I sat there for a few hours. But I had sobered up even before getting to the station. They ticketed me for trespass and let me get a cab to my hotel. A court date was set a few months later but I sent an e-mail explaining as much of what I knew happened and that I was not able to be at the proceedings. The judge ruled to dismiss the charges as long as I stayed out of trouble for 90 days.

People who resist are either not very smart or possibly out of control (drunk/high/crazy/whatever).

As far as the guy getting some sort of money for unlawful restraint etc-- I would argue that the police did their jobs. He was treated fairly despite not being guilty of anything. Once he was charged, a statement wasn't going to change that. That he stayed in jail for 27 days was his own fault-- they processed his case quickly and gave him a bail amount. He could have easily been out of jail shortly after bail was set. Instead, he sat in jail perhaps not knowing any better or getting any decent advice.

So since this is a plot for Hangover 4, I have to ask, because you don't get away with telling that story and having "the Dude" as your avatar without providing a few more details....

What exactly did they say you did that they charged you with trespass?

I've been cuffed twice-- the first time in the early 1990s when I was mistaken for someone else with warrant for arrest during a traffic stop. I was released. It took about 20 minutes. I simply complied with whatever the officer asked, knowing full well I had done nothing to deserve it.

The other time-- I did deserve it. I was in Vegas and blacked out at some point in the night. Woke up in some managers office at the Palms with my hands tied behind my back and the entire contents of my wallet spread out on a desk in front of me. I had no idea what I had done. The police came and took off the restraints (tie wraps) and put me very forcefully in cuffs. They were tight and cut off the circulation to my hands (hands were numb for weeks after this). They took me to the station, did the finger prints (digital-- it was kind of interesting actually), took my picture, put me in another set of cuffs that had canvas bags over the hands and placed me on a bench near the door. I sat there for a few hours. But I had sobered up even before getting to the station. They ticketed me for trespass and let me get a cab to my hotel. A court date was set a few months later but I sent an e-mail explaining as much of what I knew happened and that I was not able to be at the proceedings. The judge ruled to dismiss the charges as long as I stayed out of trouble for 90 days.

People who resist are either not very smart or possibly out of control (drunk/high/crazy/whatever).

As far as the guy getting some sort of money for unlawful restraint etc-- I would argue that the police did their jobs. He was treated fairly despite not being guilty of anything. Once he was charged, a statement wasn't going to change that. That he stayed in jail for 27 days was his own fault-- they processed his case quickly and gave him a bail amount. He could have easily been out of jail shortly after bail was set. Instead, he sat in jail perhaps not knowing any better or getting any decent advice.

agree, you're not owed any advice by the police, or any treatment above the minimal amount required by law. Its not their job to give advice to suspected criminals on how best to get back on the streets. From what I know about it, bail is generally available to people within 1-2 days, maybe 3 if its a weekend or long weekend.

agree, you're not owed any advice by the police, or any treatment above the minimal amount required by law. Its not their job to give advice to suspected criminals on how best to get back on the streets. From what I know about it, bail is generally available to people within 1-2 days, maybe 3 if its a weekend or long weekend.

Coo-coo nutjobs like this woman give out signals early on.

Learn to read signals folks.