• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My wife had to sell my ASM collection off to bail me out of jail!

183 posts in this topic

I have never been handcuffed, arrested, or been in a police car.

No one cares. I know.

-slym (mess-post)

I've been in a police car, but I was doing a ride along.

I previously represented a kid who was charged with attempted murder and a slew of other charges. I met him at the station shortly after he was arrested and he immediately declared "I'm innocent!" Like you said, the first thought that popped into my head was "yeah, yeah, everyone is innocent. :eyeroll: " but ultimately - he was! I'm talking about a 19 year old kid that was never arrested and never in trouble before. He was charged with attempted murder and accused of strangling his girlfriend and a few other felonies.

How do I know he's innocent? She admitted it on the stand after cross-examination and became a hostile witness.

Turns out that the two of them were out with friends the night before. He got some texts from another girl that the girlfriend didn't like so the next morning, they began to verbally yell at each other in his mother's apt. She began to smash things and scream because she was so angry. They both pushed each other, but nothing more. But I'm sure from the other apts, her angrily screaming sounded terrible so they had called police. When police arrived, they spoke with the two of them separately. She decided to teach him a lesson and made up the strangulation story. That he came up from behind and strangled her. The truth is after their heated argument, she went into the bathroom and was upset so my client went in to console her and hugged her telling her everything will be ok. Out of anger, she BIT HIM in his chest taking some skin with her so he couldn't be behind her! He pushed her off and police arrived. Ultimately the charges were dismissed, but it took her getting on the stand and admitting on cross that she lied. It came out very angrily and she had some choice words for me. After a brief recess, the ADA dismissed the charges. Nothing ever happened to her. meh

People can say whatever they want and police have to make a judgment call. Sometimes they get it wrong and it's a terrible mistake.

Imagine never being arrested or in trouble your entire life and you get into an argument with your girlfriend that results in an attempted murder charge and being locked up for a few weeks. :ohnoez:

Cases like this, albeit not this serious of accusations, happen all the time in court. Never underestimate the value of a good defense lawyer. ;)

Is there a barristers thread on these boards? There should be a barristers thread on these boards.

I care Slym! :applause::D

hm Im still curious how Revat's scenario could be considered racial profiling though...

Oh they mentioned my race as part of the reason I was detained, that it matched the description of a suspect in the area. While that turned out to be true, thAt is also commonly said in 'other' situations when it may not end up being so true.

I wasn't wrongly profiled or detained. I understood they were doing their job

Try to always mind your manners.

Be careful of the company you keep, look for the warning signs.

Don't drink too much, smoke too much, party too much - things happen when you least expect it, and you don't want to be cognitively impaired when they do.

Think prophylactic - sunscreen & trojans are your friends.

Respect the police; right or wrong, they are the authority.

No moral righteousness here, just learned through bitter experience.

Lesson learned: never speak to anyone, ever.

this runs through my head 8-10x per day.

Its just not worth it to talk to anyone.

Agreed that is the best thing to do in the world we live in!! Thank the Lord for comic books and hobbies so we can enjoy the time we spend alone. Thank the Lord as well for pets if your a animal lover (I am a huge animal lover and I could not picture my life without them).

I've been locked in a cell

Grade school field trip to the police station :grin:

I've been cuffed, in a police car, and in a jail cell.

My dad was a cop. :D

Thank your dad for his service! :applause:

Seriously, I admire hard working street cops. I don't know how they continue to be proactive and hard charging in today's world. If they are proactive and look for suspects, they get accused of profiling or harassment. If they don't, then they are uneducated, lazy cops.

I hope we never get to the point where they take just a little bit longer to get to places, and the suspect is gone by then. Yes, they get paid to do a job, but they get paid the same for chasing a suspect at a risk to themselves or getting there 5 minutes later and taking a report.

Again, I hope that day never comes, but as English Criminologist Basil Thomson said in 1922, "Every country gets the police force it deserves."

I've been cuffed, in a police car, and in a jail cell.

My dad was a cop. :D

Thank your dad for his service! :applause:

Seriously, I admire hard working street cops. I don't know how they continue to be proactive and hard charging in today's world. If they are proactive and look for suspects, they get accused of profiling or harassment. If they don't, then they are uneducated, lazy cops.

I hope we never get to the point where they take just a little bit longer to get to places, and the suspect is gone by then. Yes, they get paid to do a job, but they get paid the same for chasing a suspect at a risk to themselves or getting there 5 minutes later and taking a report.

Again, I hope that day never comes, but as English Criminologist Basil Thomson said in 1922, "Every country gets the police force it deserves."

Appreciate it bud, and it means a lot to me. He's been gone for 16 years now (cancer, 56 years old. :sorry:) He was on the force for almost 27 years, president of the union for a couple terms, and a vice cop for his final few years. Retired to take a job as an inspector for the state's attorneys office. Great man, one of the best I've ever known in my 48 years.

(thumbs u

As bad as this situation was, it could have been much, much worse. Not sure if anyone remembers Kalief Browder.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/06/before-the-law

Wow, that's horrible. And that story has an even worse ending:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/kalief-browder-1993-2015

Russians must deserve a really bad police force then-I watch a lot of youtube videos and typically someone will say get hit by a car and the police say 'what do you want us to do?"

It's astonishing how lazy Russian police are.

I had to have my wife take my three long boxes of ASM to a local dealer to sell in order for her to come up with the cash to bail me out.

Have you contacted the local dealer to see if you can buy your books back?

Yeah, actually I did. Like I said, the money was basically gone once I got it back from the court, but I was hoping to work out some sort of an arrangement, but they were gone. He sold the whole lot.

I think he must have had a buyer for the lot in mind when he bought them, cause he turned them over so fast.

As bad as this situation was, it could have been much, much worse. Not sure if anyone remembers Kalief Browder.

Yeah, it was definitely an truly awful experience, but it could have been much, much worse & the fact that I came out of it as relatively unscathed as I did is something I'm grateful for. Especially in retrospect now that I've had some time to reflect.

I wasn't blameless in the situation in that I made a VERY dumb mistake by opening my door up to an individual like that. I had some warning signs from my gut early on that I chose to ignore, something I'll never do again.

I could have lost everything had my apartment been broken into while I was locked up, but it wasn't. So, I'm very lucky in that respect.

Again, the presence of those cameras saved my butt. They were likely the only deterrent.

Yeah, it was definitely an truly awful experience, but it could have been much, much worse & the fact that I came out of it as relatively unscathed as I did is something I'm grateful for. Especially in retrospect now that I've had some time to reflect.

I wasn't blameless in the situation in that I made a VERY dumb mistake by opening my door up to an individual like that. I had some warning signs from my gut early on that I chose to ignore, something I'll never do again.

I could have lost everything had my apartment been broken into while I was locked up, but it wasn't. So, I'm very lucky in that respect.

Again, the presence of those cameras saved my butt. They were likely the only deterrent.

Never open the door for the police and never talk to police either, at least you got that part right. Cops aren't anyone's friend. A cop in court will say "hey, he told me this" Now it's 2 against you. Lastly, stay away from women haha