• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2022 at 5:54 AM, Jaydogrules said:

I'm confused why ignoring the details of the situation helps with a discussion when pretty much everyone engaging in the discussion notes how your points are flawed compared to actual facts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/28/china-is-shutting-down-shanghai-in-two-phases.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-60893070

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/28/shanghai-to-lock-down-millions-for-mass-testing-as-chinas-covid-cases-surge

And even when I noted all the credit and debit studio balance sheet categories, even you would have to admit we amateur Hollywood accountants would have no clear access to all of the real details.

Even the professionals are noting how successful The Batman has been throughout the weeks.

On 3/28/2022 at 9:14 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Honest question cause I'm actually curious...any shock/surprise that this movie got knocked out of the #1 spot so quickly?

***The Lost City...(shrug)

Just asking a question that then of course I am also linking in a statement with such question

:baiting:

On 3/28/2022 at 3:16 AM, Bosco685 said:

I'm confused why ignoring the details of the situation helps with a discussion when pretty much everyone engaging in the discussion notes how your points are flawed compared to actual facts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/28/china-is-shutting-down-shanghai-in-two-phases.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/28/shanghai-to-lock-down-millions-for-mass-testing-as-chinas-covid-cases-surge

And even when I noted all the credit and debit studio balance sheet categories, even you would have to admit we amateur Hollywood accountants would have no clear access to all of the real details.

Even the professionals are noting how successful The Batman has been throughout the weeks.

No, there is nothing wrong with my discussion of the "actual facts" .  Someone  blamed the movie bombing in China on China closing theaters and "covid" blah blah blah.  My point was China did that repeatedly throughout 2021 as well and that hardly tanked multiple movies that people actually "wanted" to see there, and those are the actual facts.  

Look, here's another article saying when china closed them in JUNE 2021. That's now FOUR documented times China shut down theaters throughout 2021.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2021/film/news/china-cinema-closures-coronavirus-guangdong-1234986276/amp/

Continuing to blame "covid" on everyhm movie's failure is just weak sauce, and, as I already mentioned, the theaters were only closed for a matter of days. 

And I guess you missed the mark Hughes forbes adricle , I believe another on screen rant , etc where all the excuses were being made for "why the batman didn't make more money". 

This movie will probably best 2016 suicide squad non-adjusted numbers and may even creep to 800MM worldwide. Not a flop.  But not a resounding success either.  What it is, remains 

Meh.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 3/28/2022 at 10:21 AM, Jaydogrules said:

This movie will probably best 2016 suicide squad non-adjusted numbers and may even creep to 800MM worldwide.

Probably?
It opened higher than Suicide Squad, held better than Suicide Squad and has already surpassed that film's domestic total.

Suicide Squad was considered a success, so there's no way The Batman can't be called a success.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:39 AM, Bosco685 said:

Just asking a question that then of course I am also linking in a statement with such question

hahahaha fair enough.  For me personally, I was shocked this morning to see that it is no longer #1.  I haven't seen Lost City so I can't comment on if it is a good/bad movie...just not a movie that caught my interest.

Not saying if Batman is a success or not...just surprise that it lost the spot so quickly...to the Lost City.

***I'll check out the Lost City when it is free on TV

On 3/28/2022 at 1:16 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think you missed his post where he said he’s never been proven wrong here. A statement no adult would ever make. Let him have his candy.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:30 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Probably?
It opened higher than Suicide Squad, held better than Suicide Squad and has already surpassed that film's domestic total.

Suicide Squad was considered a success, so there's no way The Batman can't be called a success.

Everything is relayive.  And I'm obviously speaking in relative terms.  

When your movie makes just as bout as much as an awful movie from 6 years ago, that had no China, and cost less to make and market, how  successful are you really ? (shrug)

As was noted earlier, Batman is DC's spider-man, nobody expected it to make spider-man numbers, but 1 billion+ less, with 0 competition for the first 3 weeks AND China money ?

Meh.

'J.

On 3/28/2022 at 10:38 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

hahahaha fair enough.  For me personally, I was shocked this morning to see that it is no longer #1.  I haven't seen Lost City so I can't comment on if it is a good/bad movie...just not a movie that caught my interest.

Not saying if Batman is a success or not...just surprise that it lost the spot so quickly...to the Lost City.

***I'll check out the Lost City when it is free on TV

I think now that we are in the heat of early summer and these films start landing back-to-back you will see more of these short run of box office top honors.

No harm done in liking or disliking a film. It is when someone blindly dislikes a film that becomes odd.

:cheers:

On 3/28/2022 at 11:04 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Everything is relayive.  And I'm obviously speaking in relative terms.  

When your movie makes just as bout as much as an awful movie from 6 years ago, that had no China, and cost less to make and market, how  successful are you really ? (shrug)

As was noted earlier, Batman is DC's spider-man, nobody expected it to make spider-man numbers, but 1 billion+ less, with 0 competition for the first 3 weeks AND China money ?

Meh.

'J.

Again - you're arguing against a straw man premise:

That The Batman's somehow a failure if somehow it doesn't pass $1 bn. worldwide.

Which was *never* the bar.

~$800 million is absolutely successful for this film.

And...btw...Suicide Squad is an apt comparison to this film anyway (esp. because it featured not just Batman, but Harley Quinn, The Joker & Will Smith).

Like The Batman, Suicide Squad was # 1 for only three weekends before falling to # 2.

But Suicide Squad made only $12.25 million in its fourth weekend -- ~40% less than The Batman's $20.5 million.

On 3/28/2022 at 10:21 AM, Jaydogrules said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2021/film/news/china-cinema-closures-coronavirus-guangdong-1234986276/amp/

Continuing to blame "covid" on everyhm movie's failure is just weak sauce, and, as I already mentioned, the theaters were only closed for a matter of days. 

-J.

Hi. Welcome to reality. The Batman didn't fail, and is now 3.4X production budget.

Why are you ignoring this? Did Robert Pattinson not write back to your Teen Beat Fanclub letter?

On 3/28/2022 at 8:33 AM, Bosco685 said:

Hi. Welcome to reality. The Batman didn't fail, and is now 3.4X production budget.

Why are you ignoring this? Did Robert Pattinson not write back to your Teen Beat Fanclub letter?

Well , in fairness, even by your own chart , this movie is still below the average of all historical Bat movies, and that's not accounting for inflation and/or the advent of foreign box office.   (shrug)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 3/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Well , in fairness, even by your own chart , this movie is still below the average of all historical Bat movies, and that's not accounting for inflation and/or the advent of foreign box office.   (shrug)

-J.

Again, you are doing all that is possible to portray it as a failure. Blindly.

But if that works for you (seems to), have at it. Facts will still be waiting for you to catch up. :nyah:

On 3/28/2022 at 10:23 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Again - you're arguing against a straw man premise:

That The Batman's somehow a failure if somehow it doesn't pass $1 bn. worldwide.

Which was *never* the bar.

~$800 million is absolutely successful for this film.

And...btw...Suicide Squad is an apt comparison to this film anyway (esp. because it featured not just Batman, but Harley Quinn, The Joker & Will Smith).

Like The Batman, Suicide Squad was # 1 for only three weekends before falling to # 2.

But Suicide Squad made only $12.25 million in its fourth weekend -- ~40% less than The Batman's $20.5 million.

the noive.

On 3/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

1) Bosco's chart - by emphasizing revenue ratio, makes inflation irrelevant.

2) You're correct - it's currently at 3.4x vs. a historical average of 3.8x.

But (and hear me out)...it's still in the middle of its run.

It's on-track to ultimately surpass 3.8x theatrically.

Stop acting like this has already left theaters - it has significant legs left.

On 3/28/2022 at 12:07 PM, Gatsby77 said:

1) Bosco's chart - by emphasizing revenue ratio, makes inflation irrelevant.

2) You're correct - it's currently at 3.4x vs. a historical average of 3.8x.

But (and hear me out)...it's still in the middle of its run.

It's on-track to ultimately surpass 3.8x theatrically.

Stop acting like this has already left theaters - it has significant legs left.

According to Forbes this is very much at the END of its run, not the middle.  It needs 800MM to just hit a 4.0x multiple. A 4.0x multiple would barely be slightly above the average Bats film take. 

Another word for average is 

Meh.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2022/03/23/the-batman-headed-for-700-million-box-office-cume/?sh=586a923a7673

This week , a rom-com by an over the hill actress over-indexed and easily knocked it from #1.  Next week, the cheaply made Morbius will under perform , but will still easily take #1.  After that a 40 year old video game from a long dead platform will take even more theaters.  And by then Batman will be headed to HBOMax, where I might finally bother with it in segments.  

-J.