• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Mio said:

It sounds like a lack or focus, which often leads to poor story telling. It would be nice if one Batman film worked in a more concentrated manner and resembled a detective film. There is more to fighting crime than gadgets and special effects.

It's a tough call, as the average movie-goer recognizes Batman as a superhero first - highly skilled detective beyond the normal human being second. Though I agree, it is part of his core that makes Batman so very interesting and different.

Nolan gave it some attention in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. The former with some of the chemicals he detected were impacting what people saw around them, and in the latter the scene when he figures out how to pull a fingerprint from a fractured round buried in a brick wall.

And before anyone assumes Lucius Fox cracked the case on that one, Batman clearly notes in Scene #1 he is going to pull a fingerprint from the dispensed round. Then he uses live simulations to determine how the bullet fractures when striking brick. All he needed was a Wayne Labs super-computer to then pull the simulation results together so as to reassemble the round and pull the print.

Genius detective work!

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It's a tough call, as the average movie-goer recognizes Batman as a superhero first - highly skilled detective beyond the normal human being second...

Wait... Batman's a detective now!?! When did that happen...?

1 hour ago, kagenish said:

I also agree his an excellent choice and if true then maybe come later this weekend or next week we get conformation of him directing The Batman.

It appears to be a done deal.

‘The Batman’ Finds New Director in Matt Reeves

5QoGmKu.jpg

Sources tell Variety that the “Cloverfield” and “War for the Planet of the Apes” director has already committed to helming the superhero pic, although a deal isn’t done yet. Variety first reported that Reeves was high on the list of directors to replace Affleck, but, until recently, meetings were still being held with other filmmakers.

Affleck will still have a significant role in the direction of the film — the first solo movie to star Affleck as the Caped Crusader — after writing the -script with Geoff Johns, but he will now have more time to focus on acting.

53 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'd be far more surprised if he DIDN'T want out since it has turned out to be the same mess that Daredevil was for him all over again.  :ohnoez:

Although I agree he has been gun shy after Daredevil - and has even noted this a few times when interviewed about Batman - this is really a different situation.

From a movie that was critically panned and had audiences divided, Affleck's Batman was the shining light along with Gadot's Wonder Woman (the two items assumed to be the dogs before release). So he had plenty of audience and fan support to at least take on this role further.

And now that he has been in the role three times (BvS; Suicide Squad; Justice League), it's not like Daredevil where even he didn't want to hear about the role again.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Although I agree he has been gun shy after Daredevil - and has even noted this a few times when interviewed about Batman - this is really a different situation.

From a movie that was critically panned and had audiences divided, Affleck's Batman was the shining light along with Gadot's Wonder Woman (the two items assumed to be the dogs before release). So he had plenty of audience and fan support to at least take on this role further.

And now that he has been in the role three times (BvS; Suicide Squad; Justice League), it's not like Daredevil where even he didn't want to hear about the role again.

I hope he doesn`t leave because I am really looking forward to his Batman solo movie!

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I hope he doesn`t leave because I am really looking forward to his Batman solo movie!

Same here. It would be a shame.

It's more a shame Warner Bros. seems to not be fully vetting directors - yet with Affleck his early interviews came across the studio had very much taked him through what could potentially happen. Even with the first movie, the negative reaction that would occur. So not sure what they could have changed with him to make sure this was going to be smoother commitement.

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Ben Affleck isn't happy with audience and fan support only.  He wants to be loved by everyone, critics included.  :acclaim:

His roles in BvS, SS, and JL were already agreed to before the crappy BvS and SS reviews were in.  His thinking is entirely different now.

14 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I am starting to think it was a money grab for him.

We all want money, but it's clear he's a fan and wants to play a major character in a really good superhero film.  I bet he's rolled around Marvel possibilities in his mind since they've got their stuff together.  The most likely hole he could fill is Captain America if Chris Evans leaves, but I'm not sure he's a fan of that character.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It's more a shame Warner Bros. seems to not be fully vetting directors - yet with Affleck his early interviews came across the studio had very much taked him through what could potentially happen. Even with the first movie, the negative reaction that would occur. So not sure what they could have changed with him to make sure this was going to be smoother commitement.

Nothing changed.  He explicitly said he was doing BvS as redemption for Daredevil, and that there was no point in doing it if it sucked.  Welp, it sucked, at least in all the ways that matter to him.  He's got to be thinking exit.

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Nothing changed.  He explicitly said he was doing BvS as redemption for Daredevil, and that there was no point in doing it if it sucked.  Welp, it sucked, at least in all the ways that matter to him.  He's got to be thinking exit.

The final decision will be interesting.

If he leaves, it confirms it. If he stays, people will question his commitment to the role and potentially look for holes in his performance to confirm he is not really that committed.

Not a fun situation to be in.

2 hours ago, kagenish said:

I think John Campea shouldn't have said anything, hell even himself said to not even take it has broken a scoop because he's been wrong in the past.

Spoiler

That is the challenge with all these news sites. Like a newspaper, they are all rushing to get the early scoop. So anything that comes their way, these sites are forced to rush to publication or else they are johnny-come-lately.

I really hope this rumor is just that, and not based in fact.

I just think the Ben is upset with himself over "live by night" and tired of everybody asking about Batman. but the one thing John Campea said before if Wonder Woman & JL comes out and is received well by both fans and critics then WB/DC would feel happy.

1 hour ago, kagenish said:

I just think the Ben is upset with himself over "live by night" and tired of everybody asking about Batman. but the one thing John Campea said before if Wonder Woman & JL comes out and is received well by both fans and critics then WB/DC would feel happy.

I think this has definitely been tremendous pressure on Affleck concerning the -script, kicking off the movie and being ready to act. Even some of the interviews recently, you could tell he was feeling the pressure in being forced to give a kickoff date.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think this has definitely been tremendous pressure on Affleck concerning the --script, kicking off the movie and being ready to act. Even some of the interviews recently, you could tell he was feeling the pressure in being forced to give a kickoff date.

and the pressure of making a Batman movie, which to me that pressure alone is insanely high.