• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. This could end up as a good situation.

Affleck is producing, writing, was directing and starring in this movie. Other than also operating the boom and serving lunches to the cast and crew, his creative juices were probably being stretched thin. And maybe with the experience of his last movie where he directed and starred it taught him a lesson the bigger the movie, the less you want to go with this approach.

We'll see. Then better to judge.

Who was writing the screenplay before he was?

Nobody. Early on it was rumored to be in the works, with Affleck and Geoff Johns. Then individually they both admitted this was true.

{first post in thread}

Ben Affleck and Comic Book Legend Geoff Johns Co-Writing Batman Movie -script

During a recent live recording of Kevin Smith’s Fatman on Batman podcast in Detroit, the Fatman himself revealed that Geoff Johns and Ben Affleck have collaborated on a solo Batman project:

"He's been working on a solo -script with Geoff Johns, as well. Last conversation I had with Geoff Johns, I was like, ‘Are you working on it?’ and he said yeah. I said, ‘What's it like, man? How do you co-write with someone?’ And he's going, ‘We just break it up. He takes halves and I take halves and then we write. And then we switch material. And then he goes over mine and I go over his.’ That sounds so :censored: fun man."

Currently, there’s still no confirmation if a Batman movie will be done, but it was only last week that DC and Warner Bros. announced that there will be two more movies in the DC Extended Universe line-up. Although the two movies have not been announced, Warner Bros. did announce that the movies have a release date of October 5 2018 and November 1, 2019.

And if we compare to how Marvel Studios has dealt with multi-hat productions, The Incredible Hulk -script was redone by Ed Norton because he was a fanatic and excited to star in the movie, and Joss Whedon wrote and directed Age of Ultron. Add all the meddling from the Marvel Creative Committee in that latter movie, and Whedon came close to having a nervous breakdown. And he is a very seasoned creative lead.

Try producing, writing, directing and starring in the same film. With a big budget.

James Gunn seems to be the one that pulled off writing and directing duties by partnering with Nicole Perlman, who also worked on the first Thor -script. Then she went on to work on Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

I didn't realize this, but Perlman came up through the Marvel screenwriting program back in 2009. So when she was ready to jump on a project, Guardians of the Galaxy was her baby which then James Gunn came in later to refine some of the details.

Nobody. Early on it was rumored to be in the works, with Affleck and Geoff Johns. Then individually they both admitted this was true.

Then why is Rolling Stone reporting that he's concerned with the screenplay? If he's writing it he would just edit the concerns out. Or are he and Johns disagreeing on the screenplay elements? Or is Rolling Stone just wrong?

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/ben-affleck-drops-out-as-the-batman-director-w464061

Then why is Rolling Stone reporting that he's concerned with the screenplay? If he's writing it he would just edit the concerns out. Or are he and Johns disagreeing on the screenplay elements? Or is Rolling Stone just wrong?

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/ben-affleck-drops-out-as-the-batman-director-w464061

screenplay lol WB don't need no stinkin' screenplay. They've got a release date, that's all that matters

The article is about Affleck's concern with directing the movie he is also serving in other roles. I had to read that twice before I caught the tiny blurb about Affleck being concerned with the -script.

Seems like you may have gotten fixated on one word rather than what the story was targeting. Not to say it isn't a concern. But if Affleck was trying to do all the other jobs, those would probably take him off point from finishing the -script.

Maybe this should go into the Water Cooler 'multi-tasking' thread, and how that impacts a final quality product.

hm

Matt Reeves On BATMAN Short List To Direct

War For The Planet Of The Apes director Matt Reeves could replace Ben Affleck as director of the next batman movie.

According to the same Variety story that broke the news about Affleck’s exit, Warner Bros. has already drawn up a shortlist of directors with Matt Reeves’ name at the top. Reeves is in post-production on War For The Planet Of The Apes, this summer’s highly anticipated follow-up to his outstanding 2014 entry Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, and could theoretically slide right over to Gotham City once his work on that film is done.

Reeves could be a fantastic choice. His recent run of work -- which also includes Let Me In and Cloverfield in addition to the Apes films - has been generally superb. He brings a clarity of storytelling and character to his work that could be just what The Batman needs following Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice and Suicide Squad.

The article is about Affleck's concern with directing the movie he is also serving in other roles. I had to read that twice before I caught the tiny blurb about Affleck being concerned with the -script.

Seems like you may have gotten fixated on one word rather than what the story was targeting. Not to say it isn't a concern. But if Affleck was trying to do all the other jobs, those would probably take him off point from finishing the -script.

Maybe this should go into the Water Cooler 'multi-tasking' thread, and how that impacts a final quality product.

hm

Two points:

Given that they've been prepping this for nearly a year now, it's a bad sign when the director drops out (see also: X3).

I also wouldn't be surprised if he was actually dropped as director due to the poor performance of Live by Night.

To date, after 6 weeks, it's cleared less than $20 million worldwide against its $65 million production budget. And it's projected to lose Warner Brothers ~$75 million.

Oscar winner or no, when that's the most recent thing on your resume, it's hard for the studio to entrust you with executing the vision of a $200 million picture of a far bigger scale than anything you've worked on before. They'd be better off going with someone like Alan Taylor (Thor: The Dark World, Terminator: Genisys). Or (of course) the rumored Matt Reeves.

When the news first broke that Affleck would be Batman, I just shook my head with disappointment. And when I watched BvS, I was disappointed with that movie. But boy was I wrong about Affleck as he gave me the best portrayal of Batman/Wayne I've ever seen. He gave me the Batman I've always wanted to see on screen, close to my preferred version of the character as written by Frank Miller.

He did a good job as Frank Miller's Batman. Old, grouchy, overly righteous, I dug it.

But it is interesting that he doesn't want to direct...I agree its a time crunch though as he'd probably have to spend A LOT of time getting/staying in shape, as he's aging and practicing stunts and fight choreography as well as the acting scenes. That's a lot to do if you're also the director, in which case there's a ton of fight scenes and effects and big sets and action scenes, etc you have to plan out plus shot selection and editing. I don't immediately think he's trying to distance himself (although he might be), I can't remember anyone else directing their own successful action movie with full special effects and fight scenes, etc.

It could also just be a matter of money or other contract issues, you never know, or other projects he wants to do more. Like if you skip a PTA meeting to go to a playoff game for your favorite sports team. That doesn't mean your less committed to your kids, just that the timing didn't match up in that instance and you really wanted to go the playoff game.

Is he still writing it? I don't think I'd want to direct it if Ben Affleck wrote it, too much looking over my shoulder.

Is he still writing it? I don't think I'd want to direct it if Ben Affleck wrote it, too much looking over my shoulder.

Producing and writing it. Along with everything else mentioned - including keeping himself pumped up for the role to make it believable.

When the news first broke that Affleck would be Batman, I just shook my head with disappointment. And when I watched BvS, I was disappointed with that movie. But boy was I wrong about Affleck as he gave me the best portrayal of Batman/Wayne I've ever seen. He gave me the Batman I've always wanted to see on screen, close to my preferred version of the character as written by Frank Miller.

I've never been terribly impressed by any of the Batmans over the years; the character is usually so laid back and morose that there isn't a lot to see and the villains hog the screen. Same can be said for Daredevil who is also a morose character in the comics. Affleck was as good or better than any of the other Batmans. Also had no issue with him as Daredevil.

I don't immediately think he's trying to distance himself (although he might be), I can't remember anyone else directing their own successful action movie with full special effects and fight scenes, etc.

Maybe a diffferent scale, but Affleck wrote, directed & starred in The Town.

More importantly, how about Stallone?

People forget that he's written at least 17 of the major films in which he starred.

He wrote, directed and starred in Rocky II, III, IV, Rocky Balboa, Rambo (2008), and The Expendables.

And he was older than Affleck for the latter three.

I don't immediately think he's trying to distance himself (although he might be), I can't remember anyone else directing their own successful action movie with full special effects and fight scenes, etc.

Maybe a diffferent scale, but Affleck wrote, directed & starred in The Town.

More importantly, how about Stallone?

People forget that he's written at least 17 of the major films in which he starred.

He wrote, directed and starred in Rocky II, III, IV, Rocky Balboa, Rambo (2008), and The Expendables.

And he was older than Affleck for the latter three.

good point on stallone, I knew he did a lot of writing, but didn't know he did so much directing.