• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have a 9.9 or better book in your collection?

89 posts in this topic

Once I had like 19 CGC 9.9's and 20 CGC 10's in my Locke & Key registry set. It was pretty amazing, but a CGC 10 was like a CGC 9.8 for IDW books back in the day and CGC 9.8's were like CGC 9.4's. lol

Here's a link that Jonjesper started showing many of them all together.

I don't own any of them now.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=191664&Number=4002360#Post4002360

I have no 9.9's but I have something better....

A friend of mine sold a raw copy of X-Men # 141 at a show this past year for something like $150 or $200, off his wall to a customer.

He told me that the guy he sold the book to, a few months later, walked up to his booth at a show and told him that he subbed it to CGC.

The guy then told my friend CGC gave it a 9.9 Blue Label.

After that sweeping declaration, he then walked away.....he didn't even buy any other books.Just straight up told him that bit of news and walked away.

That is like giving away a new car....only 1 sale of that book in GPA in 9.9, from a few years before DOFP became a movie.

It is easily a $10,000 book.

After that sweeping declaration, he then walked away.....he didn't even buy any other books.Just straight up told him that bit of news and walked away.

That is like giving away a new car....only 1 sale of that book in GPA in 9.9, from a few years before DOFP became a movie.

Why did he have to buy another book?

And I don't think it's a 10k book but I guess you never know.

Seriously?

He didn't have to buy another book.

He didn't have to tell my friend that he had it graded and it came back as a 9.9.

He didn't have to do anything at all.

He could have just kept his mouth shut.

Would you like that rubbed into your face? That guy stands to clear over $10,000 in profit, when he sells the book.

Point is, that shows a gaping character flaw....

Point is, that the buyer could have thrown my buddy a few hundred bucks, as a token of gratitude, without making any dent in his pocket.

Or at least, spent a couple hundred on books he liked, at his booth.

As far as the value of the book, it is actually worth MORE than $10K.

Just looked it up, there is one lone sale of a 9.9 recorded in GPA.Copy and pasted below....that May 2009 sale of a CGC 9.9 was $11,950.

No. 141, Volume 1, 1st print, Marvel Comics (1981)

Grade

Notes 2014 Avg 2015 Avg 12Mnth Avg 90Day Avg Last Sale

( 9.9 ) - - - - $11,950 May-2009

I only have two 9.9s in my collection, one from World Wide comics, the other from a private sale, a dealer found it, subbed it and gave me the first shot.

I got this in 2008, I was hesitent at first, the cover art is kinda crappy and the cover is slightly off center. I really needed it for my Further Adventures of Indiana Jones set and it would be my first 9.9, so I went for it. This book even made the CGC gallery when it was submitted.

2504151920071.jpg

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=29357&GSub=2030

I always liked this cover and had been waiting for a 9.8 to come out of the woodwork. I floored when I saw it on World Wide Comics and bought it as a birthday present to myself in 2010. :cloud9:

2104152021571.jpg

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=29260&GSub=930

Seriously?

He didn't have to buy another book.

He didn't have to tell my friend that he had it graded and it came back as a 9.9.

He didn't have to do anything at all.

He could have just kept his mouth shut.

Would you like that rubbed into your face? That guy stands to clear over $10,000 in profit, when he sells the book.

Point is, that shows a gaping character flaw....

Point is, that the buyer could have thrown my buddy a few hundred bucks, as a token of gratitude, without making any dent in his pocket.

Or at least, spent a couple hundred on books he liked, at his booth.

Point is that your buddy, presumably a comics professional, screwed the pooch. He sold a book and he got his price. That's all there is to it. As to the other two discussion points:

(1) There are people, and this hobby is lousy with them, who are so socially inept, solipsistic, and unself-aware, that they don't understand the impact of these types of statements - particularly when the recipient of said statements is a "pro." Whether they think it makes them look smart, or whether they genuinely enjoy the faked looks of care and the meekly uttered "That's cool" that they inevitably receive, it happens all the time.

In fact, it costs them money, because they can't just keep buying the sweet books and making the sweet CGC bread, they have to crow about, until the "pro" finally wakes up and starts slabbing their own stuff.

(2) The only thing that would have made your story any better is if the guy did spend a couple hundred bucks and then came back and crowed about bending the "pro" over a barrel a second time.

I also like that since CAK can't share a personal experience, he has to pull a "cool story, bro" out of his pocket.

If you didn't come across as such a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, I'd probably enjoy your posts more, CAK.

Fact is you are like a lot of LCS owners I have had the displeasure of coming across over the years. Heads so far up their own asses they haven't seen daylight since the last time they were atomic wedgied in school, and for some that was decades ago. The ego just astounds me that is in this hobby, and one of the reasons I just stopped collecting for so many years. I couldn't find anyone who just enjoyed the books as much as I did, it was always about "the next big thing".

It is suffice to say that being HERE of all places, has renewed my energy for collecting, and threads like this show me just how many people enjoy the thrill and challenge of furthering their collections.

Not some "cool story, bro" on how someone fleeced another.

I also like that since CAK can't share a personal experience, he has to pull a "cool story, bro" out of his pocket.

If you didn't come across as such a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, I'd probably enjoy your posts more, CAK.

Fact is you are like a lot of LCS owners I have had the displeasure of coming across over the years. Heads so far up their own asses they haven't seen daylight since the last time they were atomic wedgied in school, and for some that was decades ago. The ego just astounds me that is in this hobby, and one of the reasons I just stopped collecting for so many years. I couldn't find anyone who just enjoyed the books as much as I did, it was always about "the next big thing".

It is suffice to say that being HERE of all places, has renewed my energy for collecting, and threads like this show me just how many people enjoy the thrill and challenge of furthering their collections.

eO5txk6.jpg

PeneloCAK...