• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have a 9.9 or better book in your collection?

89 posts in this topic

I've only ever had one 9.9, which I submitted with a bunch of other books, unpressed, with no expectation that it would come back better than 9.8. It was a Unity Gold cover, I think maybe #2? This has been a few years ago, so the memory is fuzzy. At any rate, I don't have any interest in 9.9's and 10's for my personal collection, so if I ever hit that submission lottery again, I'd almost certainly sell the 9.9/10, then buy a 9.8 and pocket the remainder. 9.8's are good enough for me (hell, 9.6's and a lot of 9.4's are more than enough, most of the time!)

What percentage of books are 9.9 when compared to total number of 9.8 books? Seems way too subjective to justify the price difference.

On a good run, maybe 1 in every 10,000 books will grade at 9.9 or higher. They are exceedingly rare - more than 10x as rare as a 9.8. That's why even undesirable books will sell for a few hundred dollars if they grade out at mint.

Books with thicker cover stock tend to do a lot better, but it still ain't easy.

Some people argue that there is no real difference between a 9.9 and a 9.8, but they are wrong. Experienced graders (such as Beachbum) can definitely spot the difference and will know if they see one.

The real mystery is 9.9s vs. 10s. lol

What percentage of books are 9.9 when compared to total number of 9.8 books? Seems way too subjective to justify the price difference.

On a good run, maybe 1 in every 10,000 books will grade at 9.9 or higher. They are exceedingly rare.

On the full print run, it's definitely a lot tougher than just the ratio of those submitted to CGC.

But of those submitted to CGC (which passed any pre-screening), the ratios for CGC 9.9+ are:

1930s (none)

1940s one in 22,000 submissions

1950s one in 6,800 submissions

1960s one in 17,000 submissions

1970s one in 2,200 submissions

1980s one in 420 submissions

1990s one in 140 submissions

2000s one in 70 submissions

2010s one in 83 submissions

On a good run, maybe 1 in every 10,000 books will grade at 9.9 or higher. They are exceedingly rare.

On the full print run, it's definitely a lot tougher than just the ratio of those submitted to CGC.

But of those submitted to CGC (which passed any pre-screening), the ratios for CGC 9.9+ are:

1930s (none)

1940s one in 22,000 submissions

1950s one in 6,800 submissions

1960s one in 17,000 submissions

1970s one in 2,200 submissions

1980s one in 420 submissions

1990s one in 140 submissions

2000s one in 70 submissions

2010s one in 83 submissions

That one stands out to me. I know it's the dawn of the Marvel universe, but is that the reason it doesn't follow the expected trend?

15751f.jpg

I remember picking that book up out of a pile at Boston Comic Con. One of the cleanest books I've ever submitted, and such a great cover. Glad you still have it!

(thumbs u

Doubt I'll ever part with it. ;)