• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay -- shills or insufficiently_thoughtful_persons?

21 posts in this topic

Has nobody figured out yet that if all bidders snipe an auction it keeps pricing down? I hate watching an auction jump up in price 4 days before ending for no particular reason.

Or are people just shilling pieces to protect their own values and I am the insufficiently_thoughtful_person?

it's funny, because I was just wondering why my book jumped so high with 7 days left. It's only a 200.00 book and it jumped from 5.00 to 125.00 to 175.00 the first couple of days ...going to make it appear that I'm driving the price up.

I assume this is the type of activity you're speaking of...I can only assume bidder doesn't want to wait around 10 days and throws max bid up and forgets about it.

Has nobody figured out yet that if all bidders snipe an auction it keeps pricing down? I hate watching an auction jump up in price 4 days before ending for no particular reason.

Or are people just shilling pieces to protect their own values and I am the insufficiently_thoughtful_person?

:facepalm:

I am one of those early bidders. How I bid is my business and designed to protect my interests above and beyond anyone else's that may be interested in the item. It is a competition for the item.

I am one of those early bidders. How I bid is my business and designed to protect my interests above and beyond anyone else's that may be interested in the item. It is a competition for the item.

translation = how i bid rocks, how you bid sucks

translation = stfu

translation = stfu

translation = mods notified

translation = stfu

translation = I wet myself and need my mommy

translation = stfu

translation = I wet myself and need my mommy

translation = get help

HAHA

I've thought the same exact thing.

I watch the early bidders thinking that they are completely clueless.

I say that all they are doing is driving the price up for the sniper who's going to win it.

It's like they think if they lead the bidding for the entire length of the auction, they will win it, and then with 3 seconds left, poof, gone to a sniper.

No. Probably because it's not true.

What actually keeps pricing down in auctions is the second highest bidder bidding below market value, no matter when they place that bid.

I don't bid much and don't have a sniping service. I'll bid on something if I see it when I see it if it is within 2 or 3 days of closing. I'm typically only going low ball anyway. It keeps my wins down, which is good for my budget

No. Probably because it's not true.

What actually keeps pricing down in auctions is the second highest bidder bidding below market value, no matter when they place that bid.

That's basically it really. In some cases you might get it a little cheaper. But people are going to put their highest bid in the last few minutes regardless of what the current price is at that time.

Not really... I've disclosed 'why' to only a few people.

HAHA

I say that all they are doing is driving the price up for the sniper who's going to win it.

It's like they think if they lead the bidding for the entire length of the auction, they will win it, and then with 3 seconds left, poof, gone to a sniper.

I guess I am also one of those early bidders.

To me its a win-win, either:

a.) I get the book at the price I was willing to pay, the moment i saw the book.

or

b.) maybe a sniper pays more for the book. :devil:

I just had an auction get sniped in the closing seconds. The only bid. Strange thing is that it was a BIN. I had two watchers and one disappeared about three minutes to go. My guess is that he is the one who bought it.

translation = I have a crush on Greggy

translation = I have a crush on Greggy

Oh... well... who doesn't? :shrug:

HAHA

I guess I am also one of those early bidders.

To me its a win-win, either:

a.) I get the book at the price I was willing to pay, the moment i saw the book.

or

b.) maybe a sniper pays more for the book. :devil:

I guarantee if you wait till the last three seconds to put your bid in, you will win more books.

The snipe removes the chance you are currently giving people to counter your bid by placing it early.