• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Comic Book Day 2016

106 posts in this topic

Anymore its just become ridiculous. The lines to get in are just terrible along with an hour wait. Id like to buy comics while I am there, but its impossible due to crowds. My local shop dresses up and many in line do as well, but its just too many people in a smaller shop.

I just avoid it now.

I appreciate my shop for giving the regulars first dibs before the official day. Been going there since the 80s.

I am excited for FCBD! I will be attempting three shops tomorrow- my local LCS, the flagship store & the best store in the 'burbs.

My local LCS is 2 per person with up to 2 more if dressed up. Flagship location is the same.

The best store, Lost World of Wonders, gives away 4 to everyone and they will have the best selection too.

I am targeting 7-8 books total and I do not expect to land all of them:

Suicide Squad 1

Avengers 1 - Civil War

DC Super Hero Girls

Black Mask

Assassin's Creed*

Kodansha Comics (Attack on Titan)

Comic Book Legal Defense Fund*

Boom!*

Camp Midnight*

* = 4 books the lady is interested in

It's great that some of you support your LCS.

My opinion, the 2,000 brick & mortar shops are the reason that this paper business is bucking the digital trend. They're outposts for fans, entry points for newbies & the petri dish for pop culture development.

Anyway...

This is how it usually goes down on the CGC forum.

You guys will identify one book as the "it" item of FCBD 2016.

You'll complain about availability, limits, condition ect.

You will then savage the retailers that could not provide you enough free items...

Then you'll come here & argue print runs.

:)

Happens every year.

FCBD is always a dash and grab around here, so I don't participate. However, if people like Larry are so put off by the whole event, perhaps next year, they could let us know when the FCBD issues appear in Previews? That way, we all can order the ones we want, ask the store to set them aside without stamping them, and then everyone's happy! :foryou:

However, if people like Larry are so put off by the whole event

Ha!

I have embraced FCBD since it's inception, buying in bigger each year.

Best day of the year for fans, industry outreach, families & newcomers.

I hate the CGC parasites stopping by for free lunch...

The same parasites are on several websites now Larry. Single out this one

over some of the sites which are much worse is a bit much.

Scum-baggery & vile behavior is an institution here.

Good luck today everybody, have fun.

FCBD books are ultimately promotional pamphlets rarely worth a dime.

This year marks the 15th annual FCBD of which I'm proud to have participated in every one.

We all know just how incredible comics are. FCBD is a great day to showcase our beloved hobby & show the world just how entertaining the medium can be. Swing a shop, bring a friend, bring your family, meet your friends, snag some cool freebies,t & have a great time in the process.

Or come here & complain that your retailer didn't provide you with a dozen NM+ Rom #0 & a plastic Funko Dorb...

If the idea is to get people to buy something the lines are just too long and stores too small to allow that.

Exactly! Good problem to have though.

I just got back from the chiropractor. Went by the LCS I want to hit to check their hours (10 or 11?) and there were 4 people waiting outside already. Turns out it is 10 am and they were at least 45 minutes early waiting for the shop to open. Crazy! I guess I'll go on up in a few minutes and try and score some free books.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/04/16-comics-to-look-for-on-free-comic-book-day-2016

...We're pretty disappointed that, in a year where so many publishers are offering new and original content for FCBD, DC settled for simply reprinting a five-year-old Suicide Squad comic...

hm

I'd say it's a fine idea on DCs part. Over the past five years another generation of kids are now teens who are just getting into comics. With the suicide squad movie coming out soon this is one way to get them into it from a solid starting spot.

Just got to my LCS, I usually get there around 1030 on Wednesdays , they say they don't open till 11 but usually have the doors open around 10. I didn't know they opened at 11 all the time, just pulled up and there is 9 cars in the parking lot with a line . Damn nerds

I was in and out in 10 minutes....for the first time they let people take 1 of each comic (3 comic max years past) so I grabbed the ones I wanted and bailed.

no cake this year though

:cry:

Just got back from Apocalypse Comics in N Myrtle Beach. Took my 8 yr old and 4 yr old sons. We had a blast. Got there at 10. Got all the free books I wanted. They were also having a sidewalk sale of $1 books. Picked up some Jim Lee UXM that I needed, Frank Millers Robocop run, a good chunk (5 issues) from the Batman Hush storyline, and three lenticular covers from the DC villains month from a few years ago. I also got the full 'Renew Your Vows' arc from secret wars for $10.

All in all it was a good day.

Just read the civil war fcbd book Any comments or ideas on the new wasp? Im not familiar with any nadias is this a new chrecter all together or just someone new picking up the wasp name. Seems like odd timing with ant man and wasp movie in the works unless they are building up an anti wasp villian for hope.

I totally understand what Larry is saying-- Veronica and I were set up at Friendly Comics in Bellingham Ma which is a great store run by great people, we do it every year but this time they set us up right next to the register and I was amazed at how many people were just there grabbing the free stuff.

It's shameless. This is an event to promote comics and comic STORES. Store as in a place you SHOP at.

Some people have no shame.

I usually pick up 2-3 free book, if it is a title I am genuinely curious about.

I'm more interested in seeing how much the even grows every year.

Last year the store had a line around the block.

Plus most of the stores usually have a great sale going to accompany FCBD, so it's worth a trip down even if you don't care about the free books