• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Neal Adams Batman

116 posts in this topic

Having finished my Adams Bats collection two years ago, I got the chance to compare them all. I think Bats 232 is the best single issue of the run and a personal favorite. A second personal favorite of mine is Bats 255, the last all-Adams Bats book and he went out with a bang. 227 obviously takes the crown for best and most iconic cover.

A couple of other books that I really love are the treasury sized Limited Collectors Edition C-25 and C-51. C-25 introduced me to so many classic Batman stories including the amazing Adams drawn Tec 404. C-51 has one of the best original covers and the first book to reprint the Ras Al Ghul saga including Bats 232.

EDIT: Gotta add BB 79 on the list as personal favs as well. Great art and story that still holds today.

:cloud9:

9NA38nv.jpg

Ok so the final tally this thread cost me was $100. Got a great deal on several Adams Batmans.

This aint the first thread to send me on a buying spree nor will it be the last.

Out of curiosity, which ones did you end up picking up?

I got Detective 397, 408, 410 plus Specter 2 3 4 5 and strange adventures 208 209 210 215 216

I don't know about "Best", but this is surely the "Purest", in the sense that it is 100% untrammeled Neal (plot, art, and dialogue), and thus embodies both his greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses:

588f7d7ec318a5936b268836808437bd_xl.jpg

Even though I'm a huge Adams fan, I avoided this series like the plague when it first came out (memories of many terrible Continuity books linger). But I finally gave in last week when I found a cheap copy of the recent trade paperback.

And you know what? The plot (such that it is) may (ahem...) be Bat-mess crazy, but the whole thing is also energetic and exciting, and certainly not even remotely of a piece with what I've seen of today's modern cookie-cutter superhero drivel.

It doesn't always make a lot of sense, but it is NEVER boring, and close inspection of the panels reveals hidden depths.

Make no mistake: this is an incomprehensibly weird book.

On the other hand, and to its credit, it is clearly the product of a singular creative vision, and not some watered-down corporate BS. It is also equally clear that while Adams' style may have changed over the years, his imagination and dynamic visuals are as strong and occasionally breathtaking as ever. He is a master of the form to this day.

In some ways, this nutty book reminds me of Kirby's later '70s work: not everyone's cuppa, for sure, but very, very cool and also very entertaining when accepted on its own terms.

Or, to put it another way around: someone like Grant Morrison tries to be this weird; Adams is this weird, and I say bless him for it!

:)

Nice! How did you manage to get all that for only a 100? Even at low grade must of those seem 10-20.

Been starting to pick up some of the Deadman Strange Adventures myself. He's a character that you don't really seem too often now, but has been growing on me, Probably my favorite mystical DC after Specter and Dr. Fate.

Nice! How did you manage to get all that for only a 100? Even at low grade must of those seem 10-20.

Been starting to pick up some of the Deadman Strange Adventures myself. He's a character that you don't really seem too often now, but has been growing on me, Probably my favorite mystical DC after Specter and Dr. Fate.

Yeah theyre 3.0 - 4.0 range. maybe a couple 5.0. I spend a bit of time shopping and can usually find deals.

here's the batmans for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162019647245?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162019708720?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT'>http://www.ebay.com/itm/162019695080?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIThttp://www.ebay.com/itm/162019708720?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162019708720?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ps those Specters I got for 6.99 each I dont know why the old price is showing up-seller lowered price and I snapped em up.

Great post. Gave me something to think about and after buying the first two issues and giving up on this series, I will have to check it out.

I don't know about "Best", but this is surely the "Purest", in the sense that it is 100% untrammeled Neal (plot, art, and dialogue), and thus embodies both his greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses:

588f7d7ec318a5936b268836808437bd_xl.jpg

Anything Adams after 1980 I avoid like the plaque

It seems many fans will agree with you.

It also seems to happen a lot with other artists of that era. A pattern.

Steranko

Wrightson

Jim Starlin

Barry Smith

Mike Kaluta

Howard Chaykin

Frank Brunner

Michael Golden

John Byrne

They set the 1960`s to 1980`s comic book`s world on fire, and now for the last 25 to 35 years haven`t done much in modern comics.

Either it`s the fans outgrew their styles or these artists themselves haven`t adapted to modern comic books storytelling.

It`s not just a comic book phenomenon though as the same thing happened in rock n roll.

Interesting. hm