• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Neal Adams Batman

116 posts in this topic

So many great covers! Here is another favorite of mine...

zmzh1y.jpg

I don't think that's Neal Adams,I may be wrong though. hm

I love this cover but always credited to Giordano ...... has anyone got a positive I.D. for this one yet ?

It does look like Adams did roughs and Giordano filled in a lot. It lacks the flair of a fully penciled Adams piece.

Wow. That JLA cover is a knock-out -- a very clever and imaginative re-working of the original.

Seeing new Neal Adams art featuring the most iconic DC characters--even if it's mostly in the form of changed-up, redux versions of his classic covers--should be a cause for celebration. Has it been? I'm not plugged into the "moderns" world at all, so I have no idea.

I saw a few of these Adams cover variants at my LCS last month. Great stuff. Does anyone know where I can find a list of all of them?

I've been a big Adams fan since the '70s, and remain one today, despite the...strangeness of some of his recent work in modern, mainstream comics. But he's still one of the old masters -- his style may have changed, but he's clearly still got it!

Lot's of links. Here's one with the 26 covers. If you're not aware, he's also got a 6 part Superman series out 'Superman: Coming of the Supermen'. You should still be able to pick-up the first three issues at your LCS. I'm not too plugged onto the modern stuff either, but I try to pick-up all the stuff Adams comes out with.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/collect-them-all-dc-offers-neal-adams-variants-for-february-2016/

It does look like Adams did roughs and Giordano filled in a lot. It lacks the flair of a fully penciled Adams piece.

I know he did the interior work, but the cover looks a lot like Irv Novic style to me. I definitely see Giordano inking, but I just don't see the Adams there at all.

I know he did the interior work, but the cover looks a lot like Irv Novic style to me. I definitely see Giordano inking, but I just don't see the Adams there at all.

I don't see much Adams for sure. In fact if the database didn't say Adams I'd say no Adams. The cowl is particularly poorly drawn for Adams and the stiff posing. Adam was stiff, but a different kind of stiff.

Also look at the length of the woman's neck. Adams would never make a blunder like that.

Wow. That JLA cover is a knock-out -- a very clever and imaginative re-working of the original.

Seeing new Neal Adams art featuring the most iconic DC characters--even if it's mostly in the form of changed-up, redux versions of his classic covers--should be a cause for celebration. Has it been? I'm not plugged into the "moderns" world at all, so I have no idea.

I saw a few of these Adams cover variants at my LCS last month. Great stuff. Does anyone know where I can find a list of all of them?

I've been a big Adams fan since the '70s, and remain one today, despite the...strangeness of some of his recent work in modern, mainstream comics. But he's still one of the old masters -- his style may have changed, but he's clearly still got it!

Lot's of links. Here's one with the 26 covers. If you're not aware, he's also got a 6 part Superman series out 'Superman: Coming of the Supermen'. You should still be able to pick-up the first three issues at your LCS. I'm not too plugged onto the modern stuff either, but I try to pick-up all the stuff Adams comes out with.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/collect-them-all-dc-offers-neal-adams-variants-for-february-2016/

Awesome, thanks.

Didn't know that there were 26 of them! I hope these are "cover price" (or slightly over) variants, and not the insanely expensive kind...

I've been reading "Coming of the Supermen": the first issue (which, tellingly, was scripted by someone who WASN'T Neal Adams) was fairly solid and pointed in an interesting direction; the two issues which followed were increasingly daft (okay, more like bat-mess crazy), but I found myself enjoying them just the same.

In some ways, the series reminds me of Kirby's energetic/frenetic post-4th World '70s work for both DC and Marvel (and the presence of many 4th World characters reinforces this): breakneck pacing; an emphasis on action and ideas over complex plotting & character development; and VERY wacky dialogue.

It's certainly not the same old superhero soap-opera BS on the one hand, or "everything you know is a lie" deconstructive cr@p on the other, that's for sure! Funky!!!

But honestly, the re-coloring completely spoiled it for me. I know that sounds nit-picky, but there is one panel in Batman #251 where the re-coloring completely ruins the atmosphere and suspense of the scene.

I believe Erik Larsen had the exact same reaction to it.

But honestly, the re-coloring completely spoiled it for me. I know that sounds nit-picky, but there is one panel in Batman #251 where the re-coloring completely ruins the atmosphere and suspense of the scene.

I believe Erik Larsen had the exact same reaction to it.

The remastered colouring seems to take a lot of detail out of the artwork. I prefer the original presentation, which looks much sharper to me.

Having finished my Adams Bats collection two years ago, I got the chance to compare them all. I think Bats 232 is the best single issue of the run and a personal favorite. A second personal favorite of mine is Bats 255, the last all-Adams Bats book and he went out with a bang. 227 obviously takes the crown for best and most iconic cover.

A couple of other books that I really love are the treasury sized Limited Collectors Edition C-25 and C-51. C-25 introduced me to so many classic Batman stories including the amazing Adams drawn Tec 404. C-51 has one of the best original covers and the first book to reprint the Ras Al Ghul saga including Bats 232.

EDIT: Gotta add BB 79 on the list as personal favs as well. Great art and story that still holds today.

I tried to keep a running checklist for myself, but I stopped a while ago once I got all the main books in the run (Brave/Bold, Batman, Detective, and World's Finest).

checklist.jpg