• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I haven't bought a comic book since 1996. What's new in comics these days?

38 posts in this topic

Seriously I havent bought comic books since 1996.

My main comic books that I would buy back then were Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine Volume 2, What If, Sensational Spider Man and even the last issue of Spawn I bought was 33.

I dont even know what the heck is going on with Marvel Comics these days even with DC or Image.

So what is new in Marvel Comics these days anyway?

They have all these great movies by Marvel that are causing lots of interest from old fans and new fans alike.

It's a good time to be a comic book fan.

From a comic perspective...Marvel hasn't really done much great in recent years. I like the old stuff. :)

Welcome to the forum.

[font:Book Antiqua]Diversity.

* Thor is a woman

* Captain America / Spider-man are Black

* Hulk is Asian

* Ms. Marvel is Pakistani / American

* X-Men are Out / Inhumans are In

* Peter Parker is rich...

* No more Fantastic Four

[/font]

Im still buying back issues for Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine volume 2, Power Pack, Alpha Flight, Generation X and a few certain Spider-Man titles like Amazing Spider Man and the entire 1990s Spectacular Spider-man stuff.

1996 was the last year for me to buy comics. Then I gave up and I was a Junior in high school.

These days Im slowly trying to get back into comic books but I still prefer the old stuff from the 1980s and 1990s Uncanny X Men and am trying to catch up on the entire Volume 2 series of Wolverine.

Its not easy

Retailer incentive Variant covers....... slabbed books....... almost limitless back issue availability via the Internet ........ and message boards ...... these are the new things that pop into mind. Oh, I nearly forgot, Movie Hype..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

My main comic books that I would buy back then were Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine Volume 2, What If, Sensational Spider Man and even the last issue of Spawn I bought was 33.

I dont even know what the heck is going on with Marvel Comics these days even with DC or Image.

Almost in the same boat as you, I stopped buying in '98

This is an excellent community, hope you have fun :)

Welcome to the Boards

Nearly everything is in trade paperbacks these days. Maybe try the first volume of various series that are recommended. You seem partial to Marvel, so I'll concentrate on those:

Ultimate Spider-Man (original as well as Miles Morales's taking over the series)

The Ultimates

Uncanny X-Force (Remender run)

Daredevil (Bendis, Brubaker, Waid runs)

X-Factor (start with Madrox - Multiple Choice)

Wolverine: Old Man Logan

Jessica Jones: Alias

Young Avengers

Runaways

Star Wars (the new Marvel series)

Darth Vader (ditto)

Non-Marvel books:

Walking Dead

Invincible

Saga

Planetary

Afterlife With Archie (as well as Life With Archie, which is highly underrated)

* Peter Parker was never married to Mary Jane because of a deal with the devil to keep Aunt May from death.

* Spider-Man was outed as Parker but now his identity is secret again.

* Gwen Stacey had a sexual relationship with Norman Osborne while she was with Peter.

* Aunt May was a swinging hipster as a youngster.

* Colossus died, but he is better now.

* Human Torch died, but he is better now.

* Captain America died, but he is better now.

* Bucky is back from the dead.

* Norman Osborne is back from the dead.

* Tony Stark was Secretary of State of the U.S. and a villain.

* Most of Doom's appearance were really Doombots over the years.

* Reed and Sue had a falling out.

* A super secret group was behind many of the major events in the MU.

* Some of the Avengers were really Skrulls.

* Inhumans are more important than the X-Men.

* Many of the MU characters are being remade with an ethnic background or as female.

* Guardians of the Galaxy are contemporary with other Marvel heroes.

Did I miss anything?

Marvel has an asian Incredible Hulk now?

What the fudge?

No, Marvel has an Asian Totally Awesome Hulk now.

Anyway, 1996 was a good time to quit Marvel. Stay the course and don't look back forward.

* Thor is a woman

* Hulk is Asian

* No more Fantastic Four

[/font]

Don't forget that in addition to Cap's and Spidey's character, they fixed Nick Fury's too.

* Thor is a woman

* Hulk is Asian

* No more Fantastic Four

[/font]

Don't forget that in addition to Cap's and Spidey's character, they fixed Nick Fury's too.

[font:Book Antiqua]Right..!

Nick Fury is Black now too...

I am not sure if he is a clone, his son, a life model decoy;

or just a drunk/bad editor's choice...

[/font]

doh!

Hey Rip Van Winkle!

Don't forget that a full third of Marvel titles has a Spider character. (Spider-man 2099, Amazing Spider-man, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Woman, Spider-verse, Spider-man and Deadpool, Silk.... ad infinitum)

Don't forget...REBOOTS! REBOOTS! REBOOTS!

If you're serious, then you've slept through a minimum of 3 reboots of every single Marvel Title! I mean MINIMUM!!!

Iron man is on Vol. 5 or 6 now (depending on whether you consider International Iron Man a volume). And that's not counting Superior Iron Man, Ultimate Iron Man and that ilk.

-Terry

. 1997 was important for me back then since I was becoming a Senior in high school so I pretty much missed out on alot of the good stuff back then in Marvel probably.

I was also off to college in 1998 so I missed out on alot of stuff in Marvel at the time too along with 1998 and 1999 but im sure Marvel had some bad storylines in the entire year of 1999 anyway so Im kinda glad I missed out a bit.

for 1997 and 1998 I supposed i missed out and still missing out on some good stuff from Uncanny X Men, X Men volume 2, Cable and Amazing Spider-Man?

Well you missed out on Bastion and Onslaught I think for Xmen?

Xman was still running hot from Age of Apocalypse and tied into Cable often.

As for Spiderman, I stayed away from those titles completely after the clone things went on. I couldn't make heads or tails of it all.