• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Craigslist Cautionary Tale - Please Read

61 posts in this topic

I've done lots of deals in a parking lot. Sometimes after dark. Just got to be real careful...

I sold some one something to a guy on line. He didn't want to pay postage so we agreed to meet in a fast food parking lot. I described my self and my car and asked him for the same info. He told me "you will know who I am". Got there and waited and a cop car pulled up. He walked over to me and asked my name. I was a little nervous untill I realized he was the buyer. Turned out to be a pretty cool guy and I have sold him several things in the same manner. We joked last time that it seemed kind of like a dope deal.

Is Craigslist any different than placing classified ads in the newspaper?

I understand the caution people have because of the few transactions that occur on Craigslist that something occurs. But to avoid Craigslist completely because of a few publicized cases is extreme. If you are selling an appliance or furniture, make sure you have several friends around (to help with moving the item. (thumbs u ) Meet in a busy, public location for smaller items. I bought one of my Philippine Star Wars #1 and 2's on eBay and met the guy in a grocery store parking lot to complete the transaction. It was one of the best deals I ever made.

I have kids, but when they were younger, I refused to be one of those parents that did not allow them to go and have fun with their friends unsupervised. I talked to them about the dangers and what to do and how to avoid them. It was hard at first, we are bombarded by the media anytime a child is kidnapped or worse. But now that they are older, I am very glad I gave them that freedom. I will have no worries as they leave the house to go to college and move on with life because they are independent. I look at some of their friends and wonder how they are going to cope with life because they are so sheltered by their parents.

It sucks what happened to the OP's relative. I can see being wary and cautious. But Craigslist is not the issue. If it wasn't through Craigslist, that attacker would have found another way to assault someone.

Craigslist is anonymous so you can be a serial killer or whatever. Classified ads are paid by check or credit card so they're not anonymous.

Therefore all the criminals flock to the free, anonymous site

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/01/11/think-twice-before-answering-that-ad-101-killers-have-found-victims-on-craigslist/

This article seems to think newspaper ads have the same issue as Craigslist as far as anonymity. (shrug)

"There are two things that make Craigslist a particularly attractive platform to would-be killers and other criminals, Levin said. First, Craigslist allows users to operate in total or near-total anonymity, meaning that they can both pretend to be just about anyone and can expect to meet a range of potential victims. (This characteristic, shared by newspaper classified ads, has also made those a theater for killers.) Second, unlike newspaper ads, Craigslist postings don’t require leaving a phone number — or even a name."

I've done lots of deals in a parking lot. Sometimes after dark. Just got to be real careful...

I sold some one something to a guy on line. He didn't want to pay postage so we agreed to meet in a fast food parking lot. I described my self and my car and asked him for the same info. He told me "you will know who I am". Got there and waited and a cop car pulled up. He walked over to me and asked my name. I was a little nervous untill I realized he was the buyer. Turned out to be a pretty cool guy and I have sold him several things in the same manner. We joked last time that it seemed kind of like a dope deal.

Cool story :applause:

Is Craigslist any different than placing classified ads in the newspaper?

I understand the caution people have because of the few transactions that occur on Craigslist that something occurs. But to avoid Craigslist completely because of a few publicized cases is extreme. If you are selling an appliance or furniture, make sure you have several friends around (to help with moving the item. (thumbs u ) Meet in a busy, public location for smaller items. I bought one of my Philippine Star Wars #1 and 2's on eBay and met the guy in a grocery store parking lot to complete the transaction. It was one of the best deals I ever made.

I have kids, but when they were younger, I refused to be one of those parents that did not allow them to go and have fun with their friends unsupervised. I talked to them about the dangers and what to do and how to avoid them. It was hard at first, we are bombarded by the media anytime a child is kidnapped or worse. But now that they are older, I am very glad I gave them that freedom. I will have no worries as they leave the house to go to college and move on with life because they are independent. I look at some of their friends and wonder how they are going to cope with life because they are so sheltered by their parents.

It sucks what happened to the OP's relative. I can see being wary and cautious. But Craigslist is not the issue. If it wasn't through Craigslist, that attacker would have found another way to assault someone.

Craigslist is anonymous so you can be a serial killer or whatever. Classified ads are paid by check or credit card so they're not anonymous.

Therefore all the criminals flock to the free, anonymous site

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/01/11/think-twice-before-answering-that-ad-101-killers-have-found-victims-on-craigslist/

This article seems to think newspaper ads have the same issue as Craigslist as far as anonymity. (shrug)

"There are two things that make Craigslist a particularly attractive platform to would-be killers and other criminals, Levin said. First, Craigslist allows users to operate in total or near-total anonymity, meaning that they can both pretend to be just about anyone and can expect to meet a range of potential victims. (This characteristic, shared by newspaper classified ads, has also made those a theater for killers.) Second, unlike newspaper ads, Craigslist postings dont require leaving a phone number or even a name."

I've always wondered what would happen if a serial killer answered the ad of another serial killer. Is it like Batman v Supes? Fight then team up? I think it'd make a decent sketch on SNL.

Things can also go in the opposite direction to uncomfortably pleasant.

My first CL deal, I met a guy in a parking lot at night. I sold my TV stand in the first 5 min and then he hit me with "Have you found Jesus?" Being from the south I knew what I was in for and telling him I'm Catholic doesn't cut it.

I missed dinner and spent two more hours involved in church chat on a work night.

My first CL deal, I met a guy in a parking lot at night. I sold my TV stand in the first 5 min and then he hit me with "Have you found Jesus?" Being from the south I knew what I was in for and telling him I'm Catholic doesn't cut it.

I missed dinner and spent two more hours involved in church chat on a work night.

Really? I suppose if it was me, I would have been beaten to death for being a heretic right then and there lol

I've only had a couple of instances where " :censored: you " didn't immediately work, or turn into a physical altercation.

I like to pretend to be an elderly confused rich guy then answer CL ads and show up with round kicks.

When I was little, there was a Baptist church in my neighborhood, and one summer my mother thought it would be good for my brother and I to go to their Vacation Bible School. During one of the sessions I was asked, "Are you saved?"

Being a Methodist I had no idea what this meant, but being a smart kid I could tell from the way it was asked that the best answer was "Yes."

Why does a predator need to use Craigslist? Why not go up to peoples houses or apartments and ring the doorbell. Sure many folks have chain locks and are careful, but more often than not you simply open the door.

If a guy can assault a woman from her driveway and into her house, I'm sure he could barge into an open door instead.

Because one bad thing happens to someone doesn't mean we should all cower into our closets.

With headlines and stories like this I always compare it to driving. Are the odds more or less probable something will happen when answering a craigslist ad vs driving to work today. Since I choose to buck the odds of an accident driving to work everyday, I accept the risk in other parts of life too.

And yes, there are things we can do to be more careful, but let's only change our habits when the risks justify it.

Number of in person craigslist transactions per day: ~100,000

Number of assaults and crimes per day during those transactions; Prolly less than 5.

I have bought and sold a lot on Craigslist, anything from furniture to comics, and I've never had a problem. I've gone to bad neighborhoods and good, met some strange guys and really normal ones.

I don't really see the problem.

I would not be stressed about selling some junk I pulled up to the front of my driveway. Probably wouldn't let a stranger into my house though. I am a 300 pound guy and look more dangerous than I actually am thankfully. If someone wants to try and jump me they could try it any time like when i am fumbling for my keys to the front door carrying a bunch of groceries. 44 years in NYC, haven't been mugged since 1983!

my wife on the other hand..no way would i let her have a stranger come to the house to buy something, not even out in the street. nope.

I would not be stressed about selling some junk I pulled up to the front of my driveway. Probably wouldn't let a stranger into my house though. I am a 300 pound guy and look more dangerous than I actually am thankfully. If someone wants to try and jump me they could try it any time like when i am fumbling for my keys to the front door carrying a bunch of groceries. 44 years in NYC, haven't been mugged since 1983!

my wife on the other hand..no way would i let her have a stranger come to the house to buy something, not even out in the street. nope.

+100

I've heard of at least one story where a woman responds to a Craigslist ad by another woman selling a household item.. All seems ok to meet since they are both females. Low and behold one or more male thugs show up with the woman and force thier way into the house. Bad things ensue.

Sure many folks have chain locks and are careful, but more often than not you simply open the door.

--------------

You did not grow up in Deathwish New York! My father did that in the early 70s once thinking it was our elderly neighbor and it turned out it was a junkie who pushed his way into the apartment building...except he only got his arm through the door. That arm was promptly broken by the door in about 11 places as pops smashed away on him.

If you randomly knock on doors the person may have nothing of value/no cash. Also a scuffle may ensue alerting neighbors, other members of household.

Craiglist allows criminals to set up the terms of their crime-how much money to bring, where to meet, descriptions, etc. It gives them more flexibility.

Police in Chicago have labeled Craigslist crimes, “robbery by appointment” because criminals in the Windy City regularly use Craigslist to identify victims and have the luxury of scheduling their crimes. The most notorious crime last year led to an entire family being taken hostage and the father shot dead in front of his wife and children, who were also assaulted.

There have been 45 CL killings since 2009.

Saying the odds are low is understandable but the odds of dying from heroin OD are low-people shoot heroin for 30-40 years.

I still recommend no heroin and no Craigslist.

It's funny--in my other hobby, pinball machines, Cragslist is a way of life. With comics, however, I am usually more careful and transact in a public place.

To some extent, things have always been this way, there's just simply more communication and more transactions. Back in the late 1990's, I placed a Pennysaver ad to buy books. I walked into the apartment in Dundalk, MD and the guy pulls a gun on me, demanding my money. I lied, stayed calm,, and sneered "Do you think I'm stupid enough to bring it in with me?", like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. He couldn't believe it, almost as if I betrayed him. "Are you serious? Sheet!." I responded "I'm outta here."

Incredibly, he answered, "Wait, don't you wanna see the books?" as I walked out the door.

I still haven't told me wife about this.

Cmon dude, tell us the truth..You urinated down your leg and handed the cash over. Hard to imagine a geek collector acting like James Bond in that situation...

Right? :)

Cmon dude, tell us the truth..You urinated down your leg and handed the cash over. Hard to imagine a geek collector acting like James Bond in that situation...

Right? :)

Guess it all depends on how you where trained and if you have ever been on the wrong side of a barrel. ;)

I don't meet people at my house and have had over watch on a few deals lol

If you randomly knock on doors the person may have nothing of value/no cash. Also a scuffle may ensue alerting neighbors, other members of household.

Craiglist allows criminals to set up the terms of their crime-how much money to bring, where to meet, descriptions, etc. It gives them more flexibility.

Police in Chicago have labeled Craigslist crimes, “robbery by appointment” because criminals in the Windy City regularly use Craigslist to identify victims and have the luxury of scheduling their crimes. The most notorious crime last year led to an entire family being taken hostage and the father shot dead in front of his wife and children, who were also assaulted.

There have been 45 CL killings since 2009.

Saying the odds are low is understandable but the odds of dying from heroin OD are low-people shoot heroin for 30-40 years.

I still recommend no heroin and no Craigslist.

Do you also give up driving?