• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Craigslist Cautionary Tale - Please Read

61 posts in this topic

Hi Folks -

This isn't about a great deal, or a great scam... so if those are what you came looking for, my apologies. But I'd still beg your patience in reading on. I've 1/2 written and deleted this post five or six times in the last month, but a conversation with a friend today - relaying the story to them, made me realize that I couldn't bear the idea of hearing that something happened to someone on this board because I chose NOT to post this.

So here goes. About a month ago, there was a story on the news in Connecticut where I'm from about a Craigslist assault. I actually saw it on Facebook and sheepishly admit to only giving it a cursory glance. But a few days later one of my siblings sent me the link to the news report from the local TV station about it and told me the victim was an extended member of our family.

Now, I'm not particular close to this family member. That's not really the point of the story...although I certainly care for her enough that when I was told this it felt like a kick in the stomach. When I watched the news report I was chilled to the bone.

The basic facts: The victim was selling a few sporting good items on Craigslist. The buyer contacted her and was interested in buying them and they arranged for him to come pick them up from her home. She set this up in the middle of the day, and she actually took the items to the end of her driveway on a fairly busy street and waited for him there. She didn't invite him in or anything. He arrived, though, and forced her into her home and assaulted her.

She called the police and they were able to quickly find and arrest him, so that part is good in terms of him not harming someone else... but what happened to her was horrific.

My point is simply this - We all, myself included, have been on here with some fun/funny Craigslist stories in the past. But it's no joke. Of all the ways to buy/sell these days, it's increasingly one being used by predators. Which, apparently this guy was.

The victim in this case was pretty careful. But when someone means to do you harm, that doesn't much matter.

The fact that so many police stations are now offering safe transaction zones to transact Craigslist business is wonderful. If you intended to buy/sell on Craigslist, please ONLY do so in such a place. If there isn't one right near where you live, do a search and find one close by. There are more and more. If your buyer/seller won't meet you there, you dodged a major bullet.

But otherwise? Consider avoiding Craigslist altogether. I've decided to swear off it. I've heard of too many things, and this last thing was simply too close for comfort. I once went down into someone's cellar looking for comics. Worked out great. But my godness was THAT stupid.

I know there are things that I might want to sell that I can get more for on Craigslist than I could on ebay. For example I had a long box of comics I'd normally post on Craigslist and pretty easily sell for $200. But instead I put it up on ebay. Ends tonight. Right now it's at about $125. Even if it hits $200... I've got to ship it, pay fees, etc. So I'll be LUCKY to get out of that with $150. But that's fine with me.

I mean, often I sell books on here for less than I would on ebay because I'd rather give a deal to the folks I like on these boards than take money from strangers on ebay. So how is it different in choosing a bit of safety and sanity by giving up a few $$ by choosing ebay over Craigslist?

I know I could have gone the police station route, but like I said, I've just made a personal choice that I'm done with it. All I want for my friends here is that you really think about what you're doing with Craigslist, and understand the risks involved.

It's awful to let a few predators ruin what was a vibrant buying/selling community. I hope that doesn't happen. But more than that what I truly hope is that everyone here, along with their friends, family and loved ones, remains safe and happy for years to come.

I think this time I've gone far enough that I'm going to click on "submit". I hope if nothing else this helps people go into things with their eyes open.

Be safe,

Frank

I would never buy anything on craigslist.

That entire site should be shut down by the FBI.

Wait, how else am I going to sell my old appliances and furniture...oh yeah, they aren't even selling on Craig's List. meh

Looks like I have to dump it at the scrapyard where the meth heads sell their stolen copper.

I will deal with Craigslist, but on my terms and that is usually by meeting at the food court of a mall during the day where the exchange happens at the food court. I will deviate from my terms only if the other party's terms are comparable.

Otherwise we cannot do business.

It's funny--in my other hobby, pinball machines, Cragslist is a way of life. With comics, however, I am usually more careful and transact in a public place.

To some extent, things have always been this way, there's just simply more communication and more transactions. Back in the late 1990's, I placed a Pennysaver ad to buy books. I walked into the apartment in Dundalk, MD and the guy pulls a gun on me, demanding my money. I lied, stayed calm,, and sneered "Do you think I'm stupid enough to bring it in with me?", like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. He couldn't believe it, almost as if I betrayed him. "Are you serious? Sheet!." I responded "I'm outta here."

Incredibly, he answered, "Wait, don't you wanna see the books?" as I walked out the door.

I still haven't told me wife about this.

It's funny--in my other hobby, pinball machines, Cragslist is a way of life. With comics, however, I am usually more careful and transact in a public place.

To some extent, things have always been this way, there's just simply more communication and more transactions. Back in the late 1990's, I placed a Pennysaver ad to buy books. I walked into the apartment in Dundalk, MD and the guy pulls a gun on me, demanding my money. I lied, stayed calm,, and sneered "Do you think I'm stupid enough to bring it in with me?", like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. He couldn't believe it, almost as if I betrayed him. "Are you serious? Sheet!." I responded "I'm outta here."

Incredibly, he answered, "Wait, don't you wanna see the books?" as I walked out the door.

lol:roflmao:

Most hard core collectors would have seen the books :sumo:

Most hard core collectors would have seen the books :sumo:

Should have asked him "How much for the gun"?

Bought it

Turned it on him

Got your money back and his books

I sold something on Craigslist one time. It was for around $125 dollars. They guy said he had someone else that was going to pick it up and wanted to know if he sent me some extra money if I'd give it to the guy. I said sure. A few days later a check from a food service place in New York came to my house in Tennessee for over 2,000 dollars more than what I had sold. I contacted the FBI and they emailed me it was probably money laundering and not to deal with them. I messaged the guy back told him I was uncomfortable with it and wouldn't cash the check. He never got back to me and no one ever showed up. Will never use it again.

Jesus Christ, this part should have been your first clue.

I sold something on Craigslist one time. It was for around $125 dollars. They guy said he had someone else that was going to pick it up and wanted to know if he sent me some extra money if I'd give it to the guy. I said sure. A few days later a check from a food service place in New York came to my house in Tennessee for over 2,000 dollars more than what I had sold. I contacted the FBI and they emailed me it was probably money laundering and not to deal with them. I messaged the guy back told him I was uncomfortable with it and wouldn't cash the check. He never got back to me and no one ever showed up. Will never use it again.

I'm surprised the FBI is so clueless. This has nothing to do with money laundering and laundering involves cash, not checks.

This is the old 'send check for too much money person cashes check sends the sender the overage 2 weeks later your bank discovers its a counterfeit check you eat the loss' scam.