• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capullo selling his Batman artwork online
1 1

296 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Mr. Machismo said:

I particularly lol'd when he tweeted "I have high end buyers looking to drive the prices up to Miller DK type of money."

But hey, gotta respect the guy's business acumen. If he's been honest, his page rate with DC is tremendous and he'll make a load off original sales, whether they're worth asking price or not!

just put two and two together :insane:  you're Kyle K on CAF are you not?

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Well, the OA from it looks pretty damn killer.

But, it's not enough to have killer art. You have to have a killer, paradigm changing story as well.

A buddy of mine believes his entire motive in creating the story is for original art sales. I mean, it's looking like 3x SGM covers per issue. At DKR prices, he'll be earning about 1.5M x 8 issues = 12 million on covers alone. Bravo!

6 minutes ago, Mr. Machismo said:

A buddy of mine believes his entire motive in creating the story is for original art sales. I mean, it's looking like 3x SGM covers per issue. At DKR prices, he'll be earning about 1.5M x 8 issues = 12 million on covers alone. Bravo!

Only problem is, his Batman is kind of derivative. In fact, it looks like he ripped off Ryan Stegman's famed convention sketch of a grisled, Seal Team 6-bodied thicker Batman. Which,  is itself derivative ultimately of DKR, and it sure seems very Capullo-esque as well.

Thing about Miller's Batman take, it was wholly original and unique. It was a massive paradigm shift, not only for Batman, but for the entire Comics industry. There's no way this mini-series, even if it's really good, will do that. In fact, it's more of a new take on the Joker than the Batman.

The conceit of one of Batman's Villlains (or a major DC villain) using the legitimacy of elected office to battle him or other heroes is also derivative. (See Penguin and Lex Luthor).

Edited by PhilipB2k17

7 minutes ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Are you the gentleman who bought the Court of Owls Batman #1 Cover?

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Only problem is, his Batman is kind of derivative. In fact, it looks like he ripped off Ryan Stegman's famed convention sketch of a grisled, Seal Team 6-bodied thicker Batman. Which,  is itself derivative ultimately of DKR, and it sure seems very Capullo-esque as well.

Thing about Miller's Batman take, it was wholly original and unique. It was a massive paradigm shift, not only for Batman, but for the entire Comics industry. There's no way this mini-series, even if it's really good, will do that. In fact, it's more of a new take on the Joker than the Batman.

The conceit of one of Batman's Villlains (or a major DC villain) using the legitimacy of elected office to battle him or other heroes is also derivative. (See Penguin and Lex Luthor).

Is anything [totally] original any more? And I agree, I don't think any comic is going to hit the same significance as DKR, especially when DKR is still bringing in new readers as it's often the #1 Batman story on "Top 10", etc. lists. It's silly to make DKR comparisons as a creator or a collector.

48 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I suspect that's at least a thought for many buyers and sellers of new Batman art, that they're on the ground floor of the next DKR. There's one high-profile artist with a Batman project coming out who is making that connection to his fans now. At least some of them are taking it seriously (groan). Probably enough for him to get his asking prices (double groan). It's gotta be tough being a Batman art collector!

28 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

I'm willing to bet it's a book that comes out Oct 4.

17 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Would that be Sean Murphy's "Batman: White Knight?" If so, it would be kind of ironic that he's calling it his "Dark Knight." xD

15 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Well, the OA from it looks pretty damn killer.

But, it's not enough to have killer art. You have to have a killer, paradigm changing story as well.

I was completely unaware of this, shows how much I follow Batman... I have to say, I'm more inclined to read a Batman book done by Sean, so I'll probably check this out, but I was unable to find any crazy hype tweets utilizing a quick search. But even so... I don't blame him, and I expect to see more of that type of behavior going forward. We're here talking about this big number sale on modern art, it is visible, other artists are going to be thinking 'what one artist can do, so can another'. It is the nature of the beast.

Still, if he really is contextually comparing the work to DK, that is a bit like a batter walking up to the plate and pointing over the wall before a pitch is thrown.

Edited by SquareChaos
Clarity

6 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

batman-white-knight-variant.jpg

I dunno, seems Murphyesque to me.

5 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

batman-white-knight-variant.jpg

I dunno, seems Murphyesque to me.

Oh goody, as with the Capullo Bats #1 cover, some more weird-looking right arm foreshortening on Batman.  And Bats' head looks way too small, and that's even after it decided to eat his neck. :facepalm: 

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

Oh goody, as with the Capullo Bats #1 cover, some more weird-looking right arm foreshortening on Batman.  And Bats' head looks way too small, and that's even after it decided to eat his neck. :facepalm: 

Thought the arm looked off as well, but the head I attribute to the beefy torso, I don't think he is off there. Several body builders appear to have tiny heads, of course I don't let them know my opinion.

The Batman art trend is toward a more feral Batman. A rough beast, who is built like a member of Seal Team 6 rather than an Olympic athlete. In other words, a man built for combat and killing. 

ADDENDUM: Finch's Batman excepted, of course. Batman's a Calvin Klein underwear model in a mask.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Except, perhaps, Paul Pope. 

He has a different take from what I've seen, as does Jae Lee (who I prefer), but there is no mistaking the character. It isn't some sort of radical redesign from anything I've seen. I'll admit to not being a huge fan so maybe I've missed some stuff.

If I recall his Bats does have a more normal body type.

5 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

He has a different take from what I've seen, as does Jae Lee (who I prefer), but there is no mistaking the character. It isn't some sort of radical redesign from anything I've seen. I'll admit to not being a huge fan so maybe I've missed some stuff.

If I recall his Bats does have a more normal body type.

Oh, yes, of course. The DC style guide is the DC style guide, they aren't changing the costume for the artist, and the character must be recognizable as one of their flagships. 

I like Jae Lee's overall style. It's a more sinewy Batman. That's where artists can get their take on the character. We've seen everything from thing, to linebacker, from neckless to more of a gymnast...but the cowl, cape, belt and chest symbol  are always gonna be there.

5 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Oh, yes, of course. The DC style guide is the DC style guide, they aren't changing the costume for the artist, and the character must be recognizable as one of their flagships. 

I like Jae Lee's overall style. It's a more sinewy Batman. That's where artists can get their take on the character. We've seen everything from thing, to linebacker, from neckless to more of a gymnast...but the cowl, cape, belt and chest symbol  are always gonna be there.

Yeah I guess that is what I'm trying to say. You can change the body type, you can change proportions and over or under exaggerate, you can work with motion... but primarily you're drawing the same Batman everyone else is. They don't let you make a ton of decisions. I mean, even into the amount of stubble, so... what are people really talking about here when they talk about so-and-so has a derivative Batman. It seems like an oxymoron. 

Edit - The point being that most of the changes open to people have been done by someone already.

Edited by SquareChaos