• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

First appearance of the Unknown Soldier? hm Our Army At War #168 or Star Spangled War Stories #151? Well, I guess that all depends on which issue you own in higher grade.

Shep,

Your post has given me reason to start a thread questioning the validity of the argument that GL 76 is the first comic book to have stories based on real life issues.

Thanks,

John

John,

There are many surprises in the war books from this era. I did an interview with Joe Kubert about 10 year ago, and the focus was largely on the changes the war books underwent during his tenure as editor, starting in 1968. Without a doubt, the themes in DCs war books from 1968 to 1973 were anti-war - and they were a direct response to the war in Viet Nam. While Joe never criticized the war or the government policies of the day to me - indeed, I have no idea if he was for it or against it - there is no doubt that he is against war. Period. And he saw the war comics as a way to speak that generation about the misery of war, and its futlity. But he never forgot to keep underlining the simple heroism of the everyday soldier caught up in something larger than himself - the ones who just did the job so they could get home. Joe even went so far as to put a 'Make War No More' slug on the end of every tale.

Of course, there are precursors to this more direct, real, anti-war sentiment. Harvey Kurtzman was doing that as early as the 1950s in EC's Frontline Combat and Two Fisted Tales. And in 1965-65, Warren's Blazing Combat took on the issue of Viet Nam - and antiwar themes in general - in a series of amazing stories written by Archie Goodwin (who would go on to write and edit some of DC best stories of the BA). But that was, of course, in a B&W magazine size.

But if we are to see more realism, maturity and humanity as hallmarks that ushered in the bronze age, yeah, you could easily make the argument that DC's war books got there ahead of everyone.

Shep

Shep,

After I happened to shell out alot of money for a high grade copy of GL 76 several years ago, my view as to it being the 1st BA book started to change after reading the war books- especially OAAW 196. "You hit it right on the nail."

John

The craziest part is... I think those were his DOUBLES.

Yeah, the CL copies are the higher grades so far as I have noticed. I have a couple of the same issues from his Heritage consignments in '07 and '08 and they are lower grades. I have to wonder if he left some money on the table by not selling the higher graded copies first when the economy was better. Either way, crazy nice stuff and should be fun to watch.

I know this is Silver age largely, but I was pleased to see that the 9.0 Our Fighting Forces #71 (which has the best war cover of all time, imho) has trotted out to a nice, early lead. I think that could top $700.00.

Great stuff to see, and btw, nice to hear from you Bill - the old BA war list has been quiet, so it's nice to hear from the BA war buffs like yourself. Pick up anything cool lately?

Shep

JAYSUS!!!

Man, I just wish I had 10 grand laying around....

Man.

Thanks for the heads up Sterling!

Shep

Oh my. :o

JAYSUS!!!

Man.

Shep

Not his doubles.

Absolutely fantastic books up for sale there. I don't think you'll see many good deals, these books should get some nosebleed prices. That OFF 71 you mentioned, Shep, should challenge $2000.

An extra $10000 would be nice to have, but to buy a nice portion of them, an extra $30000 would be nicer.

Andy 2c

I know this is Silver age largely, but I was pleased to see that the 9.0 Our Fighting Forces #71 (which has the best war cover of all time, imho) has trotted out to a nice, early lead. I think that could top $700.00.

Great stuff to see, and btw, nice to hear from you Bill - the old BA war list has been quiet, so it's nice to hear from the BA war buffs like yourself. Pick up anything cool lately?

Shep

Hey Shep! Just buying in drips and drabs until I can complete my CGC SSWS 151+ run. Trying to stay focused, so I only have been adding random slabbed BA DC War that does not cost and arm and a leg. Get blown out of the water on most Heritage and CL items. Fine with me, cheapest year since getting back into the hobby 7-8 years ago.

JAYSUS!!!

Man.

Shep

Not his doubles.

Absolutely fantastic books up for sale there. I don't think you'll see many good deals, these books should get some nosebleed prices. That OFF 71 you mentioned, Shep, should challenge $2000.

An extra $10000 would be nice to have, but to buy a nice portion of them, an extra $30000 would be nicer.

Andy 2c

Hey Andy... you're probably right... it's taking big money these days...

Jeez, $2k for that 9.0? If so, the C-note I spent on the 8.5 a few years back looks like a pretty good investment!

Gonna be interesting!

Shep

I've bought a ton of war books from him (Keith Marlow) on ebay............obviously a incredible collector of DC war

You guys have any info on him and his collection :baiting:

What can I say? Great guy, great collection. :grin:

Love the books...problem is I would then be forced to be a completionist...and even with the "lame bronze" horror books I'm pursuing it's bad enough already...these truly define "scarce" imo....although I bet that it will be challenged one day (I know that comment will be met with chagrin)...

Im happy chasing down Sgt Rock and Unknown Soldiers in 9.8 for now :doh:

Shameless Plug alert!!!

I'm planning on a little war comic sale this weekend, which will include nice copies of some key BA war books, like Our Army at War #218 and #244. Probably sometime Sunday morning. I'll post a heads up ahead of time.

Thanks!

Shep