• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

Greggy, was that a personal collection, or a warehouse/storestock type of thing. I think I remember Bob telling me he most of the books from some sort of stock in the early 80s... tons of then-cheap books that at the time were only 10-15 years old.

God, I wish I had been on the stick then.

Did I read on the boards that Bobcat was in Grand Rapids, MI? That's only 40 minutes from where I grew up and started selling comics. Your comment about picking up 70s books in the old days reminds me of being at a Naperville Con with Harley in 1986 or so and a guy came up and asked if we were interested in 50,000 comics. I was highly interested but Harley ultimately said, what would we do with 50,000 comics and we never looked at them. (We had a show in Milwaukee the next day and then were both supposed to be back in school the day after that.) I wonder what was in there. Possibly tons of 70s.

Hey, guys -- so, whatever happened to Ona?

I was catching up on my OFF reading, but my run ends with 150. (Well, I also got the Kirby stuff, not floppies but the HC that came out awhile back.)

Kirby didn't pick up the story, so did Kanigher ever finish it?

Did Ona prove to the Losers that she wasn't a traitor?

Did Gunner ever get a chance to proclaim his love?

Point me to the issues, if they exist!

Ona did appear in some of the later stories - in fact I think she was on the cover of the final issue (or at least one of the last ones - she's firing a .50 cal out the side of a B-17). As far as I know, she survived the war... in all her Scandanavian Splendor.

One thing I loved about the Kirby OFF books... he left Ona out. Which is merciful, because Kirby drew the UGLIEST women.

I would love to have seen how Russ Heath would have drawn her.

Shep

One thing I loved about the Kirby OFF books... he left Ona out. Which is merciful, because Kirby drew the UGLIEST women.

lol

No secret love for Panama Fattie, Shep?

I have to admit I find Big Barda marvelously zaftig!

(:

Looks like I'll have to get around to picking up those later OFFs after all. But they'll have to wait until I finish my SSW/Unknown Soldier and Men of War runs.

Ona did appear in some of the later stories - in fact I think she was on the cover of the final issue (or at least one of the last ones - she's firing a .50 cal out the side of a B-17). As far as I know, she survived the war... in all her Scandanavian Splendor.

I would love to have seen how Russ Heath would have drawn her.

Shep

Severin's Ona ain't exactly something to shake a stick at. But I'd say Heath's track record with Mlle. Marie speaks for itself, so you do have a good point.

Oh, I'd say Enemy Ace. An interesting look from the enemy's point of view. Something never tried before, at least as far as a main character was concerned.

I've always wondered if the original intention was to show a WW II German pilot, but perhaps the wounds of the war were still a little too fresh? It was almost another decade before Blitzkrieg came along and even that didn't last very long.

The Unknown Soldier is a great character with a lot of great, under appreciated stories, but he is essentially a secret agent, a 007 of his era. As intriguing a character as he is, I think the other side of the coin aspect of Enemy Ace make him the significant character.

How are we defining significant? The Unknown Soldier was far more popular and successful. I will agree that Enemy Ace is a more intriguing character concept.

In terms of comic book history, who is a more significant:

Enemy Ace or the Unknown Soldier?

I'd say Unknown Soldier, hands down. Mind you, that's based mostly on popularity. Enemy Ace was cool, and I loved the stories and the idea of having the stories told from the enemy's POV, but he obviously didn't have the staying power as our bandaged friend did. Enemy Ace had what 15-20 appearances? Unknown Soldier had well over 100 issues.

Nuff said?

I would say Unknown Soldier as more significant, but I prefer the Enemy Ace

as a character and all the books with him appearing in SSWS are excellent

reads.

A few BA books I've picked up recently.

SSWS153.jpg

oaaw262.jpg

Edited by Fazybones