• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

Oh, you guys are great...I mean, look at these books!! I'm still trying for one of each DC War book, high grade is best of course, but not too worried about the grade right now. I'll take pretty much anything old if it's still on its staples. I just love these books that you're all showing off, oh, I've got them, but damn, nothing like those!! Heheheheh, oops, you've got me drooling now....

insane.gif

Andy

Careful, Andy.... these boards can give you a serious case of upgrade-itus. Trust me... I have it!

So many passionate collectors on this list. So many killer books!

Shep

Heheh, after seeing these pics, um, I think I'm gonna have to start upgrading...ouch!

Shep, on a personal note, can you pm me the list of doubles that you were offering? I missed your last auctions.

Thanks,

Andy

Oh, you guys are great...I mean, look at these books!! I'm still trying for one of each DC War book, high grade is best of course, but not too worried about the grade right now. I'll take pretty much anything old if it's still on its staples. I just love these books that you're all showing off, oh, I've got them, but damn, nothing like those!! Heheheheh, oops, you've got me drooling now....

insane.gif

Andy

Heck, I just wanted to get a run of Enemy Ace books...these boards, especially Shep, are gonna send me to the poor house 27_laughing.gif. Especially after seeing the Boxes and Circle thread in the Silver Age Forum. Great books Shep. Oh, and welcome to the boards!

Heck, I just wanted to get a run of Enemy Ace books...these boards, especially Shep, are gonna send me to the poor house 27_laughing.gif. Especially after seeing the Boxes and Circle thread in the Silver Age Forum. Great books Shep. Oh, and welcome to the boards!

Hey guys,

War books are a strange and compelling addiction. Part of the appeal, without question, is their rarity. Even in mid-grade, many of these books... even books from the 1970s and 80s... just don't pop up that often.

The other nice thing is that DC war books cover a pretty broad canvas... you can spend years getting all the bronze books, and then change it up completely and move onto silver books, or the pre-character early 1950s books.

I have decided against trying to get EVERYTHING because, frankly, it's just too hard and expensive. But it's a lot of fun sampling early issues from the various titles. A much different vibe than the 1970s books.

I don't do it that often, but occasionally I'll take out a 30 or 40 book run from a title, lay them all out, and just ogle them. I enjoy reading my books, but as I have gotten more and more into upgrading books, I certainly just enjoy them as objects too.

Shep

I don't do it that often, but occasionally I'll take out a 30 or 40 book run from a title, lay them all out, and just ogle them. I enjoy reading my books, but as I have gotten more and more into upgrading books, I certainly just enjoy them as objects too.

Shep

Heck, that's half the fun! You can't keep 'em boxed up forever! It's also great to line up a run to notice subtle changes in logo styles and cover design and note when a certain change has occured! thumbsup2.gif

Shep

Heck, that's half the fun! You can't keep 'em boxed up forever! It's also great to line up a run to notice subtle changes in logo styles and cover design and note when a certain change has occured! thumbsup2.gif

Jayman,

There's a whole other 'sub-specialty' of logo/masthead changes. It's a shame Overstreet doesn't list those kinds of subtleties.

Then again, the book would be a foot thick then.

Shep

My contribution, last 12 cent issue..

bag5.jpg

I don't think I've seen a pic of one of these before! Thanks for posting! thumbsup2.gif

bag5.jpg

I don't think I've seen a pic of one of these before! Thanks for posting! thumbsup2.gif

Adam,

I have never seen another myself. I have seen many of some of the other pacs (including the 1962 ones!) but not this one. It's the reason I haven't popped it open yet wink.gif

My lord, I'm so glad that I've come to this forum. You guys are showing me fantastic finds beyond belief. Great SSWS #141 9.6 hail.gif, sweet 5 pack of DC books hail.gif (I've never seen one of those before either), I've got a nice copy of Showcase 45, so everything you boys are saying, I can relate to. Great meeting all you guys, and as soon as I get my books all scanned, I'll be posting some pics as well.

Andy

bag5.jpg

Adam,

I have never seen another myself. I have seen many of some of the other pacs (including the 1962 ones!) but not this one. It's the reason I haven't popped it open yet wink.gif

I must say that I hate the thought of the comics in the plastic bag, but the fact that it contains last 12 cent issues makes it far more interesting if it remains unopened. I don't think I could ever own something like that because it would keep me up at night trying to decide what to do! frustrated.gif

I must say that I hate the thought of the comics in the plastic bag, but the fact that it contains last 12 cent issues makes it far more interesting if it remains unopened. I don't think I could ever own something like that because it would keep me up at night trying to decide what to do! frustrated.gif

I've got one sealed multipak from the 1977, with Sgt. Rock #208 and Weird War #55 - despite the crappy plastic, they both appear 9.4, and white (at least from what I can see at the edges.) They seem safe enough in there, so that's where they're staying.

The sad thing is that I can well remember seeing remaindered multipaks of early 1970s comics at department stores where I grew up well in the 1980s.... and I never bought them because they were crappy 'hero' titles.

Grrrrr.

Shep