• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

My 2nd certified G.I. Combat (I had a 267 9.8 but I sold it)....

1493004-gi171.jpg

Nice...was this the Bobcat offering from last week. On the dollar books...I love 'em. Almost finished my set...mostly via Sulipa's Manitoba collection. Other than from him, haven't found too many true NM's of those books.

yeah....and I did try to order some NM G.I. Combats from Sulipa the next morning after the catalog was sent...you must've ordered them! For some reason, my snipe on GIC #168 (nice Adams cover) didn't work either. frustrated.gif

Here's a question: when does searching for NM 9.4 copies become realistic for this title? I'm thinking somewhere around the early 100s...just trying to get some feedback from collectors who have been there done that in regards to finding higher grade copies.

I've spent many hours reading these stories...just love it. I didn't start out reading OAAW...started with the retitled Sgt Rock and Unknown Soldier. I sidestepped into straight war after reading some Weird War Tales issues. It was a natural jump.

I'm not as much of a high grade collector as I am a completist. I'm sure Shep would have a bit of experience with higher grade G.I Combat's. With my experience though, high grade early DC war comics are just not around. The books were so enjoyable that they were read again and again. If you find nice early DC war in decent grade (VF or better) grab it when you see it.

Andy

Hey Andy--That's my curse--both (high grade completionist). I understand that if I choose to complete this title I'm going to be buying VFish copies. And if I'm going to do that, I have no incentive to buy certified and overpay.

I'm starting to consider collecting specific artists across titles, but those early grey tone GICs are too good to pass up.

Here's my two cents on high grade DC war comics from the Silver age, specifically the G.I. Combats.

The earliest certified 9.4 I have seen is GIC #96. Killer copy, non-pedigreed. I haven't checked the census on the earlier issues. That book, which is non-key but has a killer cover - went for somewhere between $800-$900 on heritage earlier this year.

The chances are good, however, that there are high grade copies of any issue of that title. I saw a 9.2 old label of G.I. Combat #44, and if that exists, who's to say the other issues don't?

But even the issues between #100 and #130 are tough to find in super sparkly shape. PGC mint has a handful of really nice ones. Of course, the big peds are the source of most of the 9.4s - Boston, Salida, Newsboy, Bethlehem, Curator. Expect to pay large multiples on 9.4s.

Can a run of 9.4 G.I. Combats from #100 up be put together? Of course. But it will be costly, and it will take a while.

And the dollar size books in 9.4? Very tough - you've got some beauties there though. Keep me in mind if you ever want to sell them - I've got them all, but a few are 9.0s that I'd love to upgrade.

Shep

Hey Andy--That's my curse--both (high grade completionist). I understand that if I choose to complete this title I'm going to be buying VFish copies. And if I'm going to do that, I have no incentive to buy certified and overpay.

I'm starting to consider collecting specific artists across titles, but those early grey tone GICs are too good to pass up.

Greytones, of course, are the hardest because there are so many non-war collectors (and even otherwise non-DC collectors) clamoring for those books. But if you can 'settle' for VF on those, you can do really well. For example, a 9.2 copy of Our Fighting Forces #71 came up on Heritage last year. I bid 5x guide... and lost. It went for somewhere north of $500 (before premium) Mine was the last bid to lose, and it wasn't by much. I hated losing that book. I've asked around, and I have not been able to determine who the buyer was. It might be someone on these boards who just likes to keep quiet about such things.

Anyway, a few months later, the same book in 8.5 came up on ebay. I got it for $110. Here it is:

7b_3.jpg

On a lot of the greytone books, if you ever see them in certified 8.5... I'd grab 'em. They are truly hard to find

Shep

Greytones, of course, are the hardest because there are so many non-war collectors (and even otherwise non-DC collectors) clamoring for those books. But if you can 'settle' for VF on those, you can do really well. For example, a 9.2 copy of Our Fighting Forces #71 came up on Heritage last year. I bid 5x guide... and lost. It went for somewhere north of $500 (before premium) Mine was the last bid to lose, and it wasn't by much. I hated losing that book. I've asked around, and I have not been able to determine who the buyer was. It might be someone on these boards who just likes to keep quiet about such things.

Anyway, a few months later, the same book in 8.5 came up on ebay. I got it for $110. Here it is:

7b_3.jpg

On a lot of the greytone books, if you ever see them in certified 8.5... I'd grab 'em. They are truly hard to find

Shep

Well, that isn't too shabby now, is it? Nice pick up. See, I'd much rather have that 8.5 for the price you paid than spending 5x guide (or more) on a 9.2. Grade is key, but price point matters to me as well. Lovely book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Andy

Collect the DC War greytones (or washtones as others call them), the covers are just captivating. Sheesh, makes me drool just thinking about them. 27_laughing.gif

Oh, and high grade completionist? Yikes! Noble effort, but best of luck!!

Andy

7b_3.jpg

Shep

Great book Shep...been loking and looking for the hg greytones just like that one... I have resigned myself to settling for the 8.0/8.5 books pre-65. Don't want to, but at 500-1000 a pop my bank and retirement demand it.