• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

Glanzman is so underrated. I really believe that he is a great artist, and his early work on the Haunted Tank (before he started inking Ayers' pencils) is some of the best DC bronze age war art.

The killer Archie Goodwin scripts make for great reading.

Great page!

Shep

Glanzman is so underrated. I really believe that he is a great artist, and his early work on the Haunted Tank (before he started inking Ayers' pencils) is some of the best DC bronze age war art.

Shep

Yeah, definitely underrated. I'll have to post a pic of my Glanzman GI Combat splash page.

Post away we'd love to see it! Glad you guys liked the page, it was one that was burned into my impressionable young mind...especially the arm crushing bit. Mr Glanzman will always be a particular favorite of mine.

Shep

Yeah, definitely underrated. I'll have to post a pic of my Glanzman GI Combat splash page.

Nice guy too. I had the privilege of sitting next to him at the San Diego Big Five dinner a few years back. He gave me a sweet Jonah Hex sketch.

Nice guy too. I had the privilege of sitting next to him at the San Diego Big Five dinner a few years back. He gave me a sweet Jonah Hex sketch.

I met him a couple of time at the SD Big Five dinners as well... he's a great guy.

Very sad, though, about how his career with DC ended. From what I recall, he went in to DC to drop off some Haunted Tank pages to Murray Boltinoff, and Murray said 'Well, here's your last cheque. The title is cancelled.' And that was that. Up to then, Sam had been drawing the Haunted Tank for nearly 15 years - a pretty long stretch, and it was good steady pay. There was no ceremony, no nothing... just 'see you later.'

Sam's USS Stevens work is some of the finest storytelling in comics. I've been looking for an original USS Stevens splash for years. They're rarer than hen's teeth.

Shep

I met him a couple of time at the SD Big Five dinners as well... he's a great guy.

Very sad, though, about how his career with DC ended. From what I recall, he went in to DC to drop off some Haunted Tank pages to Murray Boltinoff, and Murray said 'Well, here's your last cheque. The title is cancelled.' And that was that. Up to then, Sam had been drawing the Haunted Tank for nearly 15 years - a pretty long stretch, and it was good steady pay. There was no ceremony, no nothing... just 'see you later.'

Sam's USS Stevens work is some of the finest storytelling in comics. I've been looking for an original USS Stevens splash for years. They're rarer than hen's teeth.

Shep

That's really a sad story Shep. Not much love for the talent in those days, just hired guns. I am, however, very jealous of you and Andy for having met him. I have heard numerous stories about what a fine man he is.

It seems like I heard some talk about a collection of USS Stevens stories being in the works, anyone able to confirm that? thanks

Shep

That's really a sad story Shep. Not much love for the talent in those days, just hired guns. I am, however, very jealous of you and Andy for having met him. I have heard numerous stories about what a fine man he is.

It seems like I heard some talk about a collection of USS Stevens stories being in the works, anyone able to confirm that? thanks

I know of the guys in the Big Five put together a book of every USS Stevens story and presented it to Sam. Wish I had a copy!

As far as I know there, is no USS Stevens book in the works.

In fact there are two books that DC should publish, but never will. A compilation of all the USS Stevens stories, and a compilation of all the Bob Kanigher gallery of war stories.

A few years back, Mick Rabin, who was organizing the San Diego dinner, put the call out to a bunch of fellow war comic fans to donate some beater copies to put together a USS Stevens compendium for Sam. Between us, we were able to compile all the issues, and then they were bound. It was a sweet friggin' package. When Sam got it, he was pretty overwhelmed. Those stories, taken back to back to back, are very powerful.

Here's a fun thing to do at your next big con.... get a checklist of all the USS Stevens and BKGOW stories, and look for super-beaters of those issues for a buck or less. Then, take them to a quick print palce to get them trimmed and bound. That's one nice package.

Shep

Here's a fun thing to do at your next big con.... get a checklist of all the USS Stevens and BKGOW stories, and look for super-beaters of those issues for a buck or less. Then, take them to a quick print palce to get them trimmed and bound. That's one nice package.

Shep

That's not a bad idea actually laugh.gif

Since we're talking DC war backups, here are my other favorite, yet unsung, backup series.

I love the Medal of Honor tales written and drawn by Norman Maurer. They're certainly less well known, and there were only a dozen or so. But Maurer's great storytelling abilities, coupled with the true stories of some of America's greatest real-life heroes, make for a very satistfying read. I think DC should package them up in a 100 page squarebound comic, and print enough for every kid in America.

The other series I loved was Dateline: Frontline. Cary Burkett's scripts about the embattled American war correspondent were always wonderful, and they received lovely art from both Jerry Grandenetti and Ric Estrada. Again, deserving of a reprint. Again, never gonna happen. Happily, they're cheap to find, being in late 1970s/early 1980s issues of Unknown Soldier and Men of War.... cheap as borscht in midgrade on ebay.

Shep

As far as I know there, is no USS Stevens book in the works.

In fact there are two books that DC should publish, but never will. A compilation of all the USS Stevens stories, and a compilation of all the Bob Kanigher gallery of war stories.

A few years back, Mick Rabin, who was organizing the San Diego dinner, put the call out to a bunch of fellow war comic fans to donate some beater copies to put together a USS Stevens compendium for Sam. Between us, we were able to compile all the issues, and then they were bound. It was a sweet friggin' package. When Sam got it, he was pretty overwhelmed. Those stories, taken back to back to back, are very powerful.

Shep

I may just do that, you devil-dog, you... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the idea... thumbsup2.gif

Andy