• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

Our Army at War #168 is the first appearance of Unknown Soldier. No ifs, ands or buts.

Kubert has said that when they were looking for a character concept to replace Enemy Ace in Star Spangled War Stories, he pulled the Unknown Soldier straight out of the Sgt. Rock story. He just gave the character a 'look'. But it's the same character.

That's as good as gospel for me.

The only mystery is why didn't fans like Enemy Ace enought to let it continue in its own book.

Shep

The only mystery is why didn't fans like Enemy Ace enought to let it continue in its own book.

Shep

893scratchchin-thumb.gif good question.

However, I can't fault them for the change because the Unknown Soldier was popular enough to last into the 80's. Enemy Ace (as much as I loved the character and the stories) doesn't seem like it could ever have had the staying power as a stand alone title.

Our Army at War #168 is the first appearance of Unknown Soldier. No ifs, ands or buts.

Kubert has said that when they were looking for a character concept to replace Enemy Ace in Star Spangled War Stories, he pulled the Unknown Soldier straight out of the Sgt. Rock story. He just gave the character a 'look'. But it's the same character.

That's as good as gospel for me.

Shep

893whatthe.gif confused-smiley-013.gif

Whoa! 893whatthe.gif When you dig, you dig deep... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Andy

Naw, I am just busting Shep's balls. I remembered that 168 had sold within the past two years and when I looked back at my original auction link, I saw Shep's comment right below it. I thought it was semi-humorous. flowerred.gif

I would like to see Kubert's exact comments on the connection though. Like I said, 168 is the first appearance due to the retcon in 157, but I have a very hard time believing it is anything more than a retcon.

I'm not fighting anyone on 168 though. It is what it is in the US mythos at this point - the first appearance. I just don't think anyone is going to convince me that labeling it as a retcon is wrong though.

Hey Guys, I thought it was interesting that in the price guide section in the back of Pedrins Big Five book he did not note that #168 was the first appearance of The Unknown Soldier and there was not a price difference. In the story listing section though, under #168 it states. 1 "I KNEW THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER1" (PT 1) ROCK/EASY - SEE SSWS #157

Unfornuatly, I can't comment on this debate since I have not read #168 but I thought this was interesting. I wonder what they thought about #168 when putting the book together just 11 years ago.

Larry

I love the Unknown Soldier and I love buying SSWS #151, I have many copies. I have a copy of OAAW #168, but I don't feel too passionate about it. confused-smiley-013.gif Strange to some, I know.

Andy

Hey Guys, I thought it was interesting that in the price guide section in the back of Pedrins Big Five book he did not note that #168 was the first appearance of The Unknown Soldier and there was not a price difference. In the story listing section though, under #168 it states. 1 "I KNEW THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER1" (PT 1) ROCK/EASY - SEE SSWS #157

Unfornuatly, I can't comment on this debate since I have not read #168 but I thought this was interesting. I wonder what they thought about #168 when putting the book together just 11 years ago.

Larry

That is interesting. I need to get a Pedrin guide one day - I just don't want to pay Motor City or DTA prices for one....

Whoa! 893whatthe.gif When you dig, you dig deep... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Andy

Naw, I am just busting Shep's balls. I remembered that 168 had sold within the past two years and when I looked back at my original auction link, I saw Shep's comment right below it. I thought it was semi-humorous. flowerred.gif

I would like to see Kubert's exact comments on the connection though. Like I said, 168 is the first appearance due to the retcon in 157, but I have a very hard time believing it is anything more than a retcon.

I'm not fighting anyone on 168 though. It is what it is in the US mythos at this point - the first appearance. I just don't think anyone is going to convince me that labeling it as a retcon is wrong though.

I didn't even know I was getting my balls busted.... guess I need to figure out what the icons mean!!! grin.gif

The Kubert thing was either from an old Comics Journal interview, or from an interview I conducted with Kubert myself in 2000 (I have the tape, but still haven't finished transcribing it... it's been 7 years!)

I agree with Andy, though, that OAAW #168 is sort of a tepid story. To me, the Unknown Soldier doesn't really start to gel as a character until SSWS #154.

Shep

Hedge:

Thanks for the congrats.

That might be the first reference to OAAW 168 as the 1st app of the Unknown Soldier. They were ahead of the OS people by a few years. Can you scan the page where this is indicated?

bronzejohnny

Bronzejohnny, I don't quite have this scanning thing down yet. Could someone out there help us both out and scan the OAAW #168 information section out of Pedrins Big Five information guide. Thanks Larry

Hedge:

Thanks for the congrats.

That might be the first reference to OAAW 168 as the 1st app of the Unknown Soldier. They were ahead of the OS people by a few years. Can you scan the page where this is indicated?

bronzejohnny

Great pick up! I was happy to see a boardie get it! thumbsup2.gif