• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three Strikes, You're Out: Buying Comics on Amazon

23 posts in this topic

I've only sold one book on Amazon and got a way better return than I would have on eBay.

Buying, on the other hand, has been horrible. When I was first getting into comic collecting about three and a half years ago, I purchased an Amazing Spider-Man 62 with CGC 9.0 in the description. The book arrived raw. I returned the book and got my money back.

The second time, I bought a New Mutants 98 CGC 9.6. I asked for scans this time and it looked great. The book was shipped Media Mail and arrived cracked big time. One of the first boardies who talked to me on here (I can't remember who because it was so long ago) saw the book and said CGC probably wouldn't re-holder because it was so damaged. Once again, I had to return the book for a refund and ended up losing a little money on that deal.

My third experience was this past week. I ordered a book described as Like New, backing board, etc. It arrived in one of those REALLY flimsy white padded envelopes with no cardboard or anything. Just a bag and board. It was obviously bent and beat to death, which resulted in my third return.

I have NEVER returned any books I've purchased through the boards or on eBay, so I guess this means I should just give up on Amazon. lol

Amazon is really good for trade paperbacks and video games.

It`s a hit or miss with single comics.

Most sellers on there think of selling a comic book like they would sell a regular book. Most don`t have a clue about the complicated grading process that comic books have compared to just selling a paperback or hardcover.

Most sellers on there think of selling a comic book like they would sell a regular book. Most don`t have a clue about the complicated grading process that comic books have compared to just selling a paperback or hardcover.

+1

I was going to add that at the end of my post. I buy a lot of TPBs from there and there's never any problem.

I wouldnt buy graded books off Amazon. And if you plan on spending over 20 bucks on a book, def ask questions first..

2 things that sellers get wrong on amazon: Grading and printing

But the average buyer on amazon doesnt care for these things on that platform

Thats why theres eBay

I often see the picture of a book on Amazon as one that is graded and that is not what they are selling. I don't know if that is just the stock picture that shows up or what.

With the ASM 62 example, it was stated as CGC 9.0 in the seller's own description, but in other cases, I see what you're saying about sellers using stock photos.

+1

I was going to add that at the end of my post. I buy a lot of TPBs from there and there's never any problem.

Did you purchase the trades from Amazon or a seller ON amazon. There is a HUGE difference. Any book I have purchased from an Amazon Seller has always packed the book in some flimsy envelope without any type of protection. I usually have to deal with whatever damage is inflicted due to poor packaging because the books I get are OOP trades.

This goes for comics on Amazon as well. They probably were bought from an Amazon Seller not Amazon direct. Anything that is shipped from Amazon or "fulfilled" by Amazon has always come in a box.

Finally, I too have been forced to get a couple of comics on Amazon to complete a run or two. It is the worst but what can you do wait several months?

I know some of you here have an aversion to Facebook.

For those who dont , I have recently found out about Facebook groups for buying and selling and trading . I highly recommend you try them.

Do a search for them on facebook, or if youd like I can send you links to about 5 - 10 of them , including one that I admin.

You can ask for any comics. New ,Old. Key titles. . High grade, low grade . I have sold a lot of cheap comics that people need to fill in runs. I sold some Rom and Micronauts to someone the other day .

There are specific groups to a company to a genre, to an era.

A good BST all polices its groups to keep the scammers and swindlers out .

The money I am not making selling on Ebay. I am making , selling via these groups .

I know some of you here have an aversion to Facebook.

For those who dont , I have recently found out about Facebook groups for buying and selling and trading . I highly recommend you try them.

Do a search for them on facebook, or if youd like I can send you links to about 5 - 10 of them , including one that I admin.

You can ask for any comics. New ,Old. Key titles. . High grade, low grade . I have sold a lot of cheap comics that people need to fill in runs. I sold some Rom and Micronauts to someone the other day .

There are specific groups to a company to a genre, to an era.

A good BST all polices its groups to keep the scammers and swindlers out .

The money I am not making selling on Ebay. I am making , selling via these groups .

I am a Facebook Noob to the nth degree. I just don't get how to navigate through it all. Someone at work recently told me of a local swap and even a paperback selling page on FB. So it peaked my interest. If you can PM some links, that would be great.

They really arent that hard to follow . If you managed to navigate safely here youll be fine .

FB group pages are laid out differently. Its just a matter of getting used to them.

Every page sets forth rules that are usually pinned to the top of the main page . It says whats allowed and what isnt .

I suggest joining a few groups and following them for a few days to get a feel for them.

Yes there are a great deal of localized groups as well.

Sometimes grouped by area nickname. By local county or a city or two .

Im messaging you with a list of groups .

Do your due diligence before dealing with someone , ask for references . As a seller i provide a link to my Ebay feedback and thats usually enough . I have had 6 or 7 deals over the last month . My first month of selling via the groups . PP was accepted , with the exception of one local cash sale .

Me too please. Would really be interested in getting some links for fb groups. Or maybe you can post them here. Much appreciated.

I went through some of them but had a hard time understanding the concept. Is there something I'm missing.

I think it would be ideal to use it locally for cash pickup for me but when I'm searching Facebook for: comics buy sell NY I come across nothing :(

I used to love getting books from rec.arts.comics.marketplace -- has Facebook (where I'm just lost) filled in some of that? Buying on that group got me some great books.

I used to love getting books from rec.arts.comics.marketplace -- has Facebook (where I'm just lost) filled in some of that? Buying on that group got me some great books.

Thanks, @roach04! I couldn't remember the name of that Usenet group. That's where I started selling as well, years ago. Amazing that it worked* so well, using just the "honor system" pre-eBay.

*for the most part