• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Concerned With The Grade Of My Flash #123 CGC 2.5

35 posts in this topic

Graded 02/01/08

Back cover small lite multiple dent

Bottom staple back cover detached

Center front cover wear breaks cover

Front cover small lite multiple dent

Full right back cover multiple smear

Left top back cover large piece out

Right bottom front cover creasing breaks color

Spine wear breaks color

Top staple back cover detached

What does it mean "back cover detached"? Wouldn't that mean the front cover is detached as well?

No. It's possible for the one side of the cover (front or back) to pull through a staple, while the other side is still attached. Here's a case where the front cover (only) has become detached from both staples (while the back cover is still securely attached):

Hedy-47x3.jpg

:foryou:

What does it mean "back cover detached"? Wouldn't that mean the front cover is detached as well? And if that is the case, top and bottom staple that would explain the grade. A 2.5 with a detached cover isn't a total shock.

Just a guess, but perhaps the front cover is still attached because it's tucked under or slightly hanging on to the staples? In hand, it's clear that the cover is still attached but not by the back cover?

With those grader notes, I would think that a pressing would help the multiple dents, but the pressing would also likely cause the front cover to become detached. Sounds like the grade is about right and wouldn't be helped with a CPR.

Graded 02/01/08

Back cover small lite multiple dent

Bottom staple back cover detached

Center front cover wear breaks cover

Front cover small lite multiple dent

Full right back cover multiple smear

Left top back cover large piece out

Right bottom front cover creasing breaks color

Spine wear breaks color

Top staple back cover detached

You did not have to do this, Thank you so much :angel:

Now I can rest easy knowing what is going on with the book.

Even with all the flaws stated is it possible for the book to get a grade bump to 3.0?

the reason I ask is that all my early flash books are in 3.0 or higher and it just bugs me a little that its a 2.5 but if its more then likely to come back a 2.5 again then I will leave it and just enjoy it in its current grade.

Well looking at the list, I am just speculating here, I would say probably not. Possibly the dents could be smoothed out, and maybe the smears taken out. That might bump it up.

The color breaks could really hit the book, you don't want to make more....

It's been 8 years since the book was graded and, depending on the conditions in which the book was stored, it's possible the Page Quality has turned Brittle. In either case, I wouldn't apply a heat press. As mentioned above, a lot can happen. Nobody here can give you a definitive answer as to grade. Personally, I wouldn't bother. Sell the book and buy a slightly better copy.

It's been 8 years since the book was graded and, depending on the conditions in which the book was stored, it's possible the Page Quality has turned Brittle. In either case, I wouldn't apply a heat press. As mentioned above, a lot can happen. Nobody here can give you a definitive answer as to grade. Personally, I wouldn't bother. Sell the book and buy a slightly better copy.

Take this good advice.

I have been looking around at other 2.5 universals and some are making me :roflmao:

Some are roached out, Cover detached, spine splitting, many major cover creases, fading, rusted staples, mold, water damage,larger pieces missing... :blahblah:

Makes me very happy to have my copy :cloud9:

Yeah, with the cover only partly attached at both staples, I would be leery of having the book pressed for fear of the cover becoming completely detached.

Yeah, with the cover only partly attached at both staples, I would be leery of having the book pressed for fear of the cover becoming completely detached.

I looked at the pics earlier on my cell, zoomed in on them but didn't see how lossely attached the cover was.

The book could be spot pressed, but as the OP does not press his own books, you're looking at upwards of $100 to have the book pressed & graded

With the chunk out of the BC and the possibility of getting a Brittle pages label designation, the OP is probbaly better off selling the book as it is and buying a nicer copy.

He should have no problem getting top GPA for the book in 2.5, considering how well the book presents.

I have been looking around at other 2.5 universals and some are making me :roflmao:

Some are roached out, Cover detached, spine splitting, many major cover creases, fading, rusted staples, mold, water damage,larger pieces missing... :blahblah:

Leave it as is. It presents much better, but the grade is probably accurate. I wouldn't risk a CPR. Not for the small bump you may get from it.

Leave it as is. It presents much better, but the grade is probably accurate. I wouldn't risk a CPR. Not for the small bump you may get from it.

I agree here, don't mess with it. Get you a nicer copy and keep this as a reader.

You could send it in to CCS (still in the slab and with the grader notes) and get it pre-screened, but based on the grader notes, they would probably deem it too fragile to press.

You could also reach out to Joey Post here on the boards and see what he thinks.