• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should i press before or after?

6 posts in this topic

So I have a few books I want to get pressed,signed and graded... so here's the question... should I get the books pressed, signed, graded or signed, pressed, graded... do you guys normally have books pressed first, or do you get them signed and sent to ccs after? Cheers

Is the second even an option? Does a book not go right to grading after being witnessed for a sig to maintain chain of custody?

Yes, it is an option. To my knowledge there are three businesses or persons that can do this. The way it works is that an approved signature facilitator gets books signed. Then gets (ships usually) the books to a pressing service approved to press signed books and keep the yellow label.

CCS (CGC's in house service) CFP (Joe) and Peter Carbonaro - Heroes Haven Comics in Tampa, FL

Pressing after signing is usually best, since books can get bends or bumps in the process of being signed.

That's what I started thinking about... getting a small indent or something while the books got signed... guess I will stick with getting it pressed after signing... anyone know what type of markers to avoid... I would assume anything paint based would smear from the heat, but regular sharpies should be fine correct?

I just learned this yesterday-

"Even sharpies are not the best for signatures because they are not acid free. Granted, it will take a very long time to eat through and discolor the paper but they still will eventually. The best signing pens are permanent, acid-free markers. I really like the Bic Mark-It pens; you can get them in all colors, even metallic and they are totally acid free."

I just learned this yesterday-

"Even sharpies are not the best for signatures because they are not acid free. Granted, it will take a very long time to eat through and discolor the paper but they still will eventually. The best signing pens are permanent, acid-free markers. I really like the Bic Mark-It pens; you can get them in all colors, even metallic and they are totally acid free."

hmm, wonder where you learned that? hm