• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The two most common excuses for buyers remorse

234 posts in this topic

I had a board member use the wife excuse on the Avengers 57 I sold him. Gave me every "this is my Grail book, I am taking this to my grave" line to get it for a discounted price from me. A week later I see it up an HighGrade Comics site for considerably more. When I asked him why he was selling his "Grail" book he used the wife excuse. When I said no problem, send me back the book and I will refund payment and shipping he all of a sudden could not arrange for that to happen. I hope some board detectives can pull up that sales thread to see who it was.

The above seems strange as you agreed to the price and sold it to him at that price and he paid you for it. Thus, it was his property. He was under no obligation to you to keep it, hold it, burn it, or whatever.

I don't remember these threads otherwise I would have added my experiences with MMM when they were active. Is he actively posting these days?

There was more . He was shilling and flipping a lot of books. Hawkman 4 and more. Posting eBay pics covering up the serial numbers... In general not AA rated. He got blasted , stayed away for a while then came back and kept selling like it never happened.

I had a board member use the wife excuse on the Avengers 57 I sold him. Gave me every "this is my Grail book, I am taking this to my grave" line to get it for a discounted price from me. A week later I see it up an HighGrade Comics site for considerably more. When I asked him why he was selling his "Grail" book he used the wife excuse. When I said no problem, send me back the book and I will refund payment and shipping he all of a sudden could not arrange for that to happen. I hope some board detectives can pull up that sales thread to see who it was.

The above seems strange as you agreed to the price and sold it to him at that price and he paid you for it. Thus, it was his property. He was under no obligation to you to keep it, hold it, burn it, or whatever.

Read it again. The buyer used false pretense to negotiate a discount.

How do you know that? The book would not have been sold if the price agreed upon wasn't agreed to by the seller. Thus, he thought the price was acceptable. After the book is paid for and in the buyers hands whatever happens to the book is irrelevant to the original seller.

How do you know that? The book would not have been sold if the price agreed upon wasn't agreed to by the seller. Thus, he thought the price was acceptable. After the book is paid for and in the buyers hands whatever happens to the book is irrelevant to the original seller.

If a buyer pulls on your heartstrings to receive a discount and then turns around and immediately flips the book for a profit, it may not be illegal, but it's a d bag move. 2c

It's kind of like grabbing awesome stuff from the pay it forward thread and then flipping it for a profit and then putting up drek to "pay it forward".

If a buyer pulls on your heartstrings to receive a discount and then turns around and immediately flips the book for a profit, it may not be illegal, but it's a d bag move. 2c

I agree but....if you want to say that the buyer received the book under a false store of that he got it under false pretenses then if you have ever picked a book up at a garage sale, flea market, or on eBay from a seller that didn’t understand what they had and marked it at some absurdly low price you are guilty of a similar act.

You lied through omission.

You didn’t advise grandma that her son’s ASM 129 and Hulk 181 really shouldn’t have been sold in a box with other comics for $30.00. You should have pointed out the fair market value and helped her sell them a price-point that would have been beneficial to her and her son. Instead you’d be posting photos of the books telling everyone about the great deal you got from the little old lady you bought the books from earlier that day.

While you are technically correct the seller buyer committed a faux pas here. You don't negotiate for a lower price by lying to the seller that you will take this book to your grave and it is so precious yada yada then turn around and flip it in the blink of an eye.

It's just in bad form to do that here. Folks have long memories and he's certain to be added to a few do not deal with lists.

I agree but....if you want to say that the buyer received the book under a false store of that he got it under false pretenses then if you have ever picked a book up at a garage sale, flea market, or on eBay from a seller that didn’t understand what they had and marked it at some absurdly low price you are guilty of a similar act.

You lied through omission.

You didn’t advise grandma that her son’s ASM 129 and Hulk 181 really shouldn’t have been sold in a box with other comics for $30.00. You should have pointed out the fair market value and helped her sell them a price-point that would have been beneficial to her and her son. Instead you’d be posting photos of the books telling everyone about the great deal you got from the little old lady you bought the books from earlier that day.

I don't see how the analogy applies to this situation. You do realize that there are guys on these boards who will give a pretty decent discount to other boardies because 1) we're kind of brothers in arms 2) they like making people happy.

In your scenario, Joey is a grandma having a garage sale and doesn't know any better. That's not the case here.

The seller is equally under no obligation to keep his mouth shut about any negotiating tactic used to lower the 'agreed upon' price. Right?

If the seller is part of a community he may even feel an obligation to inform everyone in his circle of influence, give them a heads-up, for a particular tactic-user.

If you're going to play the "all's fair" card, it includes any aftermath. If it's fair to use a tactic, it's fair to broadcast its use.

The seller is equally under no obligation to keep his mouth shut about any negotiating tactic used to lower the 'agreed upon' price. Right?

If the seller is part of a community he may even feel an obligation to inform everyone in his circle of influence, give them a heads-up, for a particular tactic-user.

If you're going to play the "all's fair" card, it includes any aftermath.

Amen.

Amen.
I mean that's always existed since day-1.

If a buyer chooses to 'go for it'...

(a) there's a chance the seller will find out later.

(b) there's a chance the seller is part of a community

and ©

He'll tell everyone and their dog.

Right? It's like Deal Making 101. Whining won't change it. Expecting someone who gets rooked to remain silent, some unwritten code of acceptance, is silly.

I usually receive the " hey, would you do $20"? When I have a book priced at $80

I get that a lot too. The funny part is the justifications I get after I turn down the offer.

As far as the original topic...I think I've only had 1-2 people who've asked to back out and both of those were of the "my wife will kill me" variety. Slightly amusing as in both cases the books were valued at under $200. I happily let them back out because given enough time, the books will sell.

Baru, though there is an ethical debate in the scenario you described (it has been debated in countless threads), it is not the same thing. Intentionally lying about the circumstances under which you barter a discount using kids, family or military service (I used to get that one a lot) is completely different.

The two most common excuses I receive for not following through with a purchase on eBay has to be the following...

The wife excuse:

Nevermind, I found them. They look nice, maybe 9.0s. Unfortunately my wife is freaking out about this because I went over my budget. I'm going to have to cancel the purchase. I've never done that before. What do I do?

This guy kept me hanging for over a month with some nonsense about a credit card before he pulled the I lost my job excuse:

Here. You been waiting along time for me to pay you, but yesterday I got laid off. Work here in Alberta slowed right down. Major economic times. I am just having the worst luck of my life. Have to move in with my parents to make ends meet. So please understand comics are not a priority for me right now. I feel really awful. But if I can get more work later, I have your store saved for future purchases. You been so good to me. So please cancel, and I shall accept. I am sure another great person will have it, just not me! I feel like .
3rd time here in Alberta for me in 35 years. I really wanted your book, but I got to eat. No way of paying visa, even if it comes. I am sure you will sell it soon. Thank you. I just don't have a way of paying you. Thank you for waiting. I was optimistic, but lesson learned in many ways with these banks, PayPal, etc.

Hey...that's rego49mario! He's been giving me the exact same line, verbatim!

This is exactly the same message I got:

"Here. You been waiting along time for me to pay you, but yesterday I got laid off. Work here in Alberta slowed right down. Major economic times. I am just having the worst luck of my life. Have to move in with my parents to make ends meet. So please understand comics are not a priority for me right now. I feel really awful. But if I can get more work later, I have your store saved for future purchases. You been so good to me. So please cancel, and I shall accept. I am sure another great person will have it, just not me! I feel like .

3rd time here in Alberta for me in 35 years. I really wanted your book, but I got to eat. No way of paying visa, even if it comes. I am sure you will sell it soon. Thank you. I just don't have a way of paying you. Thank you for waiting. I was optimistic, but lesson learned in many ways with these banks, PayPal, etc. "

The two most common excuses I receive for not following through with a purchase on eBay has to be the following...

The wife excuse:

Nevermind, I found them. They look nice, maybe 9.0s. Unfortunately my wife is freaking out about this because I went over my budget. I'm going to have to cancel the purchase. I've never done that before. What do I do?

This guy kept me hanging for over a month with some nonsense about a credit card before he pulled the I lost my job excuse:

Here. You been waiting along time for me to pay you, but yesterday I got laid off. Work here in Alberta slowed right down. Major economic times. I am just having the worst luck of my life. Have to move in with my parents to make ends meet. So please understand comics are not a priority for me right now. I feel really awful. But if I can get more work later, I have your store saved for future purchases. You been so good to me. So please cancel, and I shall accept. I am sure another great person will have it, just not me! I feel like .
3rd time here in Alberta for me in 35 years. I really wanted your book, but I got to eat. No way of paying visa, even if it comes. I am sure you will sell it soon. Thank you. I just don't have a way of paying you. Thank you for waiting. I was optimistic, but lesson learned in many ways with these banks, PayPal, etc.

These are actual messages I received this week. I suppose both could be true except that these, or a variation there of, seem to be the only excuses I ever receive. After a while, it wears thin. If I had a nickel as they say... Any thing original out there?

The Alberta one is totally plausible. Like 100%

Until you realize he's cutting and pasting the same line to multiple sellers.

:D

The wife excuse:

These are actual messages I received this week. I suppose both could be true except that these, or a variation there of, seem to be the only excuses I ever receive. After a while, it wears thin. If I had a nickel as they say... Any thing original out there?

The Alberta one is totally plausible. Like 100%

Until you realize he's cutting and pasting the same line to multiple sellers.

:D

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :banana:

Some day the guy from Alberta will release his eBay buyer excuse message test results to see how various people reacted to the exact same random excuse message. They can then change the message to -- "Congratulations, you've been selected to participate in my eBay excuse Study. Please cancel the sale of this item so we can evaluate the results properly."