• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The two most common excuses for buyers remorse

234 posts in this topic

The two most common excuses I receive for not following through with a purchase on eBay has to be the following...

The “wife” excuse:

Nevermind, I found them. They look nice, maybe 9.0s. Unfortunately my wife is freaking out about this because I went over my budget. I'm going to have to cancel the purchase. I've never done that before. What do I do?

This guy kept me hanging for over a month with some nonsense about a credit card before he pulled the I “lost my job” excuse:

Here. You been waiting along time for me to pay you, but yesterday I got laid off. Work here in Alberta slowed right down. Major economic times. I am just having the worst luck of my life. Have to move in with my parents to make ends meet. So please understand comics are not a priority for me right now. I feel really awful. But if I can get more work later, I have your store saved for future purchases. You been so good to me. So please cancel, and I shall accept. I am sure another great person will have it, just not me! I feel like .
3rd time here in Alberta for me in 35 years. I really wanted your book, but I got to eat. No way of paying visa, even if it comes. I am sure you will sell it soon. Thank you. I just don't have a way of paying you. Thank you for waiting. I was optimistic, but lesson learned in many ways with these banks, PayPal, etc.

These are actual messages I received this week. I suppose both could be true except that these, or a variation there of, seem to be the only excuses I ever receive. After a while, it wears thin. If I had a nickel as they say... Any thing original out there?

I would be happy to at least get a message, earlier this month I had someone win an item and not pay, I sent them a number of messages and had no response, I tried to cancel and they haven't confirmed. It's now been 3 weeks since they won the item. Plain rude.

I have an auction ending today the current bid is $133.50, I received a note:

"Can you please do $80 right now? It's all I really have." Thought that was funny.

Got this one a month ago after he sniped an auction and went dark for 2 weeks. Only replied after I opened a NPB.

"Hey sorry for the late reply but I have been under the weather with the flu and now having some serious car troubles. I actually have an appointment at 8:30 am as my hyundai elantra with only 39,000 miles on it, came up with an error code for my engine. It came back after the diagnostic as a catalytic converter issue. So I am going to find out how bad it is later today. With that said, I am kind of short on cash now as not only might I have to pay to have my car fixed, as they are stating it isn't covered by warranty, but my tire axl or ball bearing on the right tire might need to be replaced and will cost a couple hundred if so. I apologize as I wasn't trying to stiff you and would pay you the listing fees in a few weeks if that was okay. I have great feedback and wasn't trying to stick anyone or anything.

sorry"

Attention all nimrods with 'cash issues' and 'job' and 'car' problems creating a 'crunch' for them. Just pay for the damn item then relist it and sell i back on ebay. No harm no foul and you're not a doosh. I have done this myself when I accidentally bought 2 of the same book. No I did not say OMG my cat hit the buy it now. I paid for the item, received it, and listed and sold it on ebay. Yes I even made a couple bucks.

This is why I do not believe the 'low on cash' excuses.

I had a board member use the wife excuse on the Avengers 57 I sold him. Gave me every "this is my Grail book, I am taking this to my grave" line to get it for a discounted price from me. A week later I see it up an HighGrade Comics site for considerably more. When I asked him why he was selling his "Grail" book he used the wife excuse. When I said no problem, send me back the book and I will refund payment and shipping he all of a sudden could not arrange for that to happen. I hope some board detectives can pull up that sales thread to see who it was.

"Found it cheaper elsewhere" is what 75% of them would say if they were honest.

What about the other 25%?

my brother works in my comic shop and sold them without telling me?

I had a board member use the wife excuse on the Avengers 57 I sold him. Gave me every "this is my Grail book, I am taking this to my grave" line to get it for a discounted price from me. A week later I see it up an HighGrade Comics site for considerably more. When I asked him why he was selling his "Grail" book he used the wife excuse. When I said no problem, send me back the book and I will refund payment and shipping he all of a sudden could not arrange for that to happen. I hope some board detectives can pull up that sales thread to see who it was.

There is no indication who bought that AV 57 - if it is the 8.5 from the March Sale for a Grail thread. Maybe done via PM?

If you say you taking it to grave then immediately sell it you may be cursing yourself to early grave.

(1) People who are whipped should not buy collectible comics (or should be willing to sleep on the couch).

(2) People who are on thin ice with a job, or who do not have a reasonable buffer of money saved in case of a life problem, should not buy collectible comics.

"Hey sorry for the late reply but I have been under the weather with the flu and now having some serious car troubles. I actually have an appointment at 8:30 am as my hyundai elantra with only 39,000 miles on it, came up with an error code for my engine. It came back after the diagnostic as a catalytic converter issue. So I am going to find out how bad it is later today. With that said, I am kind of short on cash now as not only might I have to pay to have my car fixed, as they are stating it isn't covered by warranty, but my tire axl or ball bearing on the right tire might need to be replaced and will cost a couple hundred if so. I apologize as I wasn't trying to stiff you and would pay you the listing fees in a few weeks if that was okay. I have great feedback and wasn't trying to stick anyone or anything. sorry"

"That's a Y.P. not an M.P."

(1) People who are whipped should not buy collectible comics (or should stay within their wife's budget!).

(2) People who are on thin ice with a job, or who do not have a reasonable buffer of money saved in case of a life problem, should not buy collectible comics.

lol

'My home is haunted by a mischievious poltergeist who thinks its great fun to order stuff on ebay using my details. He must have acquired my password looking over my shoulder one night. You would not believe the trouble this supernatural scheister has gotten me in. I would of course honor my purchases but I have had to use every spare cent I had to pay the local priest to exorcise him. Also my wife hates comics. I hope you understand... '

If you say you taking it to grave then immediately sell it you may be cursing yourself to early grave.

Happy birthday, Sir Post-a-Lot!

:acclaim: