• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yikes! Pedigree Comics DC books

37 posts in this topic

Pedigree Comics has DC books!?!?!?

That's probably Burntboy's copy.

i wish it was mine!!!!!!! grin.gif

4x's guide for the highest graded copy actually isn't too bad. my three sales with doug of #'s 11, 13 & 16 (all in 9.2 ow/w pgs) averaged out to 3.4x's guide when they sold last december.

and none were best of the census.

those are incredible prices for 9.2's. my point was that if he can attract a buyer at those levels then he's a force to be reckoned with and should be given serious consideration when consigning books. Marvel or DC.

Just a theory. I suspect that most DC's back in the SA couldn't compete with what Marvel was cranking out back then so a lot early DC stuff from the 60's didn't sell as well and probably were tossed aside by most buyers and not collected as religously? Move 40 years forward and that probably explains why these are so rare in high grade and inturn so expensive. Thoughts, comments?

those are incredible prices for 9.2's. my point was that if he can attract a buyer at those levels then he's a force to be reckoned with and should be given serious consideration when consigning books. Marvel or DC.

Just a theory. I suspect that most DC's back in the SA couldn't compete with what Marvel was cranking out back then so a lot early DC stuff from the 60's didn't sell as well and probably were tossed aside by most buyers and not collected as religously? Move 40 years forward and that probably explains why these are so rare in high grade and inturn so expensive. Thoughts, comments?

Most of the books being discussed when people talk about "tough DCs" came out before Fantastic Four #1, so...

There's been an awful lot of discussion of this topic here, actually.

Most of the books being discussed when people talk about "tough DCs" came out before Fantastic Four #1, so...

And not to belabor the point, but if anyone is wondering how hard it is to find these books in high grade, try the following experiment: next time you're at a large, national show, walk around the room to as many booths as you can and ask to see all of the 9.4 or better DCs from 1955 to 1964 that the dealer has. Then ask the same question as to 9.4 or better Marvels from before 1964. At a show like Wizard World Chicago, you'll lose track of all of the Marvels you'll find before you're done with Metropolis' booth. You may not find ten DCs by the time you finish checking the entire room.

Those are very strong prices. Since I don't collect to much DC, I don't have a feel for the multiple of guide they usually get. Early Marvels will get between 135-175% of guide for 9.2's, so over 3 times guides is clearly up there. Of course there is so little supply that when a copy becomes available, it might be a Now or Never situation.

Good for Doug!!!!!

And not to belabor the point, but if anyone is wondering how hard it is to find these books in high grade, try the following experiment: next time you're at a large, national show, walk around the room to as many booths as you can and ask to see all of the 9.4 or better DCs from 1955 to 1964 that the dealer has. Then ask the same question as to 9.4 or better Marvels from before 1964. At a show like Wizard World Chicago, you'll lose track of all of the Marvels you'll find before you're done with Metropolis' booth. You may not find ten DCs by the time you finish checking the entire room.

DC's are tougher than their Marvel counterparts for any age, except Gold and Modern...and yes, that only leaves silver and bronze. gossip.gif

I was very bummed out about the Green Lantern #4. I hit the buy button for $2500 at about 11:30 last night and it said sale pending $2400 when I was done. I didn't think anything of it until today when I didn't have any confirmation in my email. Called Doug up this morning and asked him what happened and he said at the same time I hit the button he accepted the previous bid of $2400 foreheadslap.gif

Needless to say I was very sad.

I went down to my LCS (Eides Entertainment) and asked what the owner was planning on doing with his collection of DCs and he said that he felt they were underpriced and would go up eventually because everything is cyclical. You have seen his books on Ebay though so I am biding my time till he gets them graded. They are coming though and they are spectacular. He also agreed with what I was doing selling my post 1965 Marvels and buying one of a kind top graded DCs.

sign-rantpost.gif

27_laughing.gif There are no better proselytizers than the recently converted! Hallelujah! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Those are very strong prices. Since I don't collect to much DC, I don't have a feel for the multiple of guide they usually get. Early Marvels will get between 135-175% of guide for 9.2's, so over 3 times guides is clearly up there. Of course there is so little supply that when a copy becomes available, it might be a Now or Never situation.

Good for Doug!!!!!

I like to pretend I have a pretty good feel for early SA HG DC prices. 3-4X OS is not an uncommon multiple for early 9.2s of early issues of major titles. JLAs between 1-10, GLs between 1-10, Flashes below 130, and key early Showcases and B&Bs, have achieved these types of multiples on those rare occasions when 9.2 copies have surfaced. Steve, you're exactly right, there's definitely a "now or never" mentality that takes hold when these types of books in these types of grades appear.

My hat's definitely off to Doug for finding these great books (Doug, when are you going to find some DCs that I need?). The 9.2 GL 4 and 9.4 GL 11 were definitely the picks of the litter, and not surprisingly they flew off the shelf. The 9.4 GL 16 that he's got is a nice book too, but priced a tad aggressively considering it's relatively easier to find in HG (Namisgr picked up a beautiful 9.4 copy for much less on eBay recently) and there is a 9.6 copy in existence (locked up in HK, natch!). The prices he's asking for the Aquamans are a bit pricey too, as Aquaman has never quite commanded the same types of premiums as some of the other mainstream titles, although issues in the teens are surprisingly hard to find in HG.

My only real gripe is his description of the GL 11 being the only 9.4 copy in existence. Actually, I think the copy he sold is so new that it has not appeared in the census yet. There is already one 9.4 copy in the census, which I think he mistakenly thought was his copy.

i was commenting on the sale price. makes me think i should list my GL #5 9.2 that i paid 1.3x for w/ doug.

You'll definitely get a better price than 1.3X, but you might not get the same kind of multiple that the #4 got. There are several 9.2 copies already, including yours, and also a 9.4 copy in existence (buried deep within Robert Roter's vaults, unfortunately Christo_pull_hair.gif), so the scarcity factor is not quite as extreme as with the #4.