• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calgary Expo 2016 con report

374 posts in this topic

The place was extremely loud, you couldn't really even talk to anyone. Apparently it was students night and the place was packed with 18-20somethings most of which were girls. It was like 85% girls 15% guys, and the girls were parading around in tight pants and revealing tops. So to be honest I don't think we would have said much anyways. We just ate the food and gazed around the room.

And the Karl didn't have the camera :o :O :o

Sad isn't it.

Brian, Ryan, Dave and I have a tradition of stopping at a town called Airdrie just north of Calgary to have dinner. We sat and chatted for a bit and then headed home after food.

I got home at 12 midnight, considering I was up at 7Am it is a long and tiring day, just like every day at the show.

But it is fun, and it is great to spend time with fellow comic collectors. I really enjoy the food / fun at night on each day.

Looking forward to next year's show.

I am going to go to sleep now, I am still rather tired. I found myself napping a few times today.

Tomorrow I will bombard you all with FleshFest Calgary Expo 2016 cosplay pics. I didn't take as many this year, I only have around 200 to post, I decided this year to upgrade what I collect so everything should be 7.0 to Very Fines or better. There are even a few 9.8's to gaze upon.

Until tomorrow... :hi:

Brian, Ryan, Dave and I have a tradition of stopping at a town called Airdrie just north of Calgary to have dinner. We sat and chatted for a bit and then headed home after food.

I got home at 12 midnight, considering I was up at 7Am it is a long and tiring day, just like every day at the show.

But it is fun, and it is great to spend time with fellow comic collectors. I really enjoy the food / fun at night on each day.

I am going to go to sleep now, I am still rather tired. I found myself napping a few times today.

Tomorrow I will bombard you all with FleshFest Calgary Expo 2016 cosplay pics. I didn't take as many this year, I only have around 200 to post, I decided this year to upgrade what I collect so everything should be 7.0 to Very Fines or better. There are even a few 9.8's to gaze upon.

Shouldn't you post a few of those pics tonight just so we know what's coming tomorrow?

Shouldn't you post a few of those pics tonight just so we know what's coming tomorrow?

If you insist:

One of my favorite Harley Quinns

IMG_0531_zpsdvuium9n.jpg

A big thank you goes out to board member Gyro, who helped us with setup. Especially the center island walls which were double the height from the previous year ( we are always coming up with new ways to display! ).

We offered to have him come to dinner with us but he had to work very early the next day.

After setup Wednesday the 4 of us went to Wild Buffalo Wings for dinner.

I love wings and was considering getting "HOT" but Brian advised me to get "Medium" and I am glad he did, they were still hot but absolutely delicious!

CalgaryExpo2014258_zps52bf1964.jpg

I got the "extra hot" and was sorry a few days later. I think Ty was unfortunate enough to get the one wing I had leftover. I can still picture him hyperventilating at the end of the table.

Hehehe he also had tears in his eyes and he rubbed them forgetting he had the hot sauce on his fingers and he was in pain for awhile.

Thanks for putting in the work to set up the Con Report, Karl. I think everyone will be pleased with the results of all of the miles you walked

The best story from Sunday - I went into another hall and saw an attractive female Deadpool. When I got back, I mentioned to Karl that he should try to track her down for a picture. He went looking for her, and ran into other guys with cameras that were searching for her as well. I believe he finally caught her towards the end of the day on Sunday when she walked by our booth. lol

One important observation from Joeypost at the con - in Calgary (and the September Edmonton show) the ration of female to male attendance ratio is likely 60:40, maybe even 65:35. There has been a huge growth in female readers/collectors at the Alberta shows since the New 52 DC relaunch. You will also likely notice that the average age of collectors/customers is early to mid 20s. It is great to see. I can remember setting up at shows when I was much younger (I started selling at them in 1997) and the only people buying books from my partner Mel and I were the handful of male collectors that included Karl, Dave and Brian. lol

The show was an interesting one sales-wise. My lone bigger book sale was a CGC 8.5 GSX #1 to Andy (thirdgreenham) and his buddy Dave. The majority of books were cheap Harley, Deadpool, New 52 and other Moderns. JSC variants in the $40 - $100 range did well, and Copper/Modern keys in the $50 - $150 range raw were selling decently. The other slab sales that I can recall were (all prices in $CDN)

Dr. Strage #1 CGC 9.4 $250

Uncanny X-Men #266 CGC 9.6 $250

Walking Dead #100 CGC 9.8 $100

New Mutants #96 CGC 9.6 $60

New Teen Titans #2 CGC 9.6 $300

plus a few other I can't think of right now.

There is a noticeable trend to increased sales of CA and MA slabs in the Alberta market. It started in earnest last fall and has continued through this spring. I have asked a few of my regular buyers why and they said it was because those are the key books for them, not SA or BA books. It will be interesting to see how long this continues for.

Fantastic Con report! Definetely looks like a Con to plan on attending one day. I did see a lot of Golden Age books on walls which is cool to see.

Great report! Yeah, I did notice a lot more girls into comic collecting by the ratio this year. I was quite surprised at that. The question is how long will it last? I hate to say but most female collectors' interest span don't last long like male collectors' interest span are.

I was able to find a bit more books on my wanted list. Actually more but my budget had run out :tonofbricks: I took few business cards from vendors,and wrote down the books I want, I hope they still have by then later :wishluck:

It is true that Stan Lee signature fee is quite high this year, given it is his last time to be in Alberta. I think it was made decided by the company to set the price and capitalize on it. Lots of people do pay the piper's price what I've seen. My friend and I pooled our loonies to get one book signed and submit to CGC to be slabbed. We wanted to meet Stan and shake his hand - the first and last time. I can check off my "wish" list ;)

We think this year is good - a tad better than last year. Not a lot better but still had a great time. I get to meet more comic artists than before. Also more sketches than before! I have got few confirmations from artists that some will attend to Vancouver Fan Expo this year. Of course their plans can change and cancel their showings as time goes by. Hoping it doesn't! :wishluck:

We had talked about going back again next year. Can't say for sure, as I told my friend I would like go to a different new comic con. One that I have never went before. This is my 9th time going to Calgary Comic Expo.

Books that I can remember selling:

New 52 Batman run of 0-50

New 52 Green Lantern set of 0-30

New 52 Aquaman set of 0-30

New 52 Green Lantern Corps set of 0-30

New 52 Nightwing set of 0-32

Batman Adventures 12 cgc 9.2

Amazing Spiderman 300 cgc 9.2

Amazing Spiderman 300 raw 6.5

Amazing Spiderman 100 x2

Amazing Spiderman 361 x2

Iron Man 1 raw 5.0

Silver Surfer 1

Silver Surfer 4

Fantastic Four 25 cgc 7.5

Every Death of Wolverine set

My original art purchase from the show.

Tomb of Dracula #10 page 19

Tomb-of-Dracula-10p19%201.bmp.jpeg

I did not see this Colan page for sale at Calgary expo. Don't know how u can afford to collect Timely's, slabs, raw SA, BA and original :banana: comic art.